Test (Actually it's just a quiz)

Old June 22nd 05, 04:32 AM
The Laws

Default Test (Actually it's just a quiz)

I was digging in my stash for some fabric to use as quilt backs, and found
two, one I am sure I inherited from my mom, and 5 yards I bought in a
thrift shop recently. Both turned out to be 36 inches wide. The question
is -When did the manufactures change the width from 36 inches to 40+ inches?
I think it may have been in the late 50's. Anybody know or remember? I
guess I was there, but didn't take notes. Kay

--
All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton Anti Virus software.

Old June 22nd 05, 07:59 AM
Tutu Haynes-Smart

Actually, the South African da Gama indigoes are STILL 36" wide because
that's the size the original plates and production line were - and that's
what the factory continues to use for those designs!

I seem to remember 36" fabric in the late 50's/ early 60's in the UK ....
-
Cheers for now

Tutu
Cape Town, South Africa

Old June 22nd 05, 08:26 AM
Sharon Harper

So, Tutu - where are the LQS in Jo'burg? I'll be needing 'em in 2006, with
a rally car driver to get me around to each of them before we head off on
our tour! What should I be looking for?

quicker)

Old June 22nd 05, 03:07 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:31:17 -0500, "SNIGDIBBLY"
wrote:

I still have some fabric bought in the 70s that is 36" wide.

I was born in 72, and my mum made all our clothes. I can remember
looking at patterns and fabric, and needing to decide how much we
would need if the fabric were 36" or 45" wide.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old June 22nd 05, 03:37 PM
marbles_2

I kind of remember that choice between 36 inches and 44 inches whenver
we went to get fabric in the 60s and 70s for clothes sewing. Seems to
me the patterns gave pattern piece placement directions for both.
(Gotta admit I haven't sewed garments for a while.) Over on Equilter
message board there was a discussion of fabric width lately as being a
standard 44 inches (except from Japan) as if it's a well-known
assumption of fact. So I think they did this while we were
sleeping....

Annie

Old June 22nd 05, 04:06 PM
Pat in Virginia

Kay:
I worked in a Fabric Store about 1969-70. We sold both the 36" and the
40 +/-" widths in woven goods. Polyester Double Knit was very popular
then, and that was quite wide, about 50" IIRC.
PAT, Feeling Groovy in VA/USA

Old June 22nd 05, 04:11 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"The Laws" wrote:

I was digging in my stash for some fabric to use as quilt backs, and found
two, one I am sure I inherited from my mom, and 5 yards I bought in a
thrift shop recently. Both turned out to be 36 inches wide. The question
is -When did the manufactures change the width from 36 inches to 40+ inches?
I think it may have been in the late 50's. Anybody know or remember? I
guess I was there, but didn't take notes. Kay

I think I'm going to flunk this one. But I seem to remember buying 36"
fabric when I was in junior-high-school home ec. That would have been in
the early 60's....
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old June 22nd 05, 04:33 PM
Allison

I remember 36" fabric from the early 70's when I got started sewing.
But, like you, I never noticed when it was no longer available. Allison

Old June 23rd 05, 02:19 AM
Pati Cook

I think the wider 45" fabrics started appearing in the early 60's. By
the mid to late 70's it was almost impossible to find 36" wide fabric.

A lot of Japanese fabrics are about 14" wide, for kimono and yakuta.
Some of the fabric made in India shrinks to about 38" wide. And you can
still find 36" wide muslin, but it usually isn't real great quality.

Pati, in Phx, who also has a bit of 36" wide cotton fabric in her stash.

The Laws wrote:
I was digging in my stash for some fabric to use as quilt backs, and found
two, one I am sure I inherited from my mom, and 5 yards I bought in a
thrift shop recently. Both turned out to be 36 inches wide. The question
is -When did the manufactures change the width from 36 inches to 40+ inches?
I think it may have been in the late 50's. Anybody know or remember? I
guess I was there, but didn't take notes. Kay

DIRECTORY TEST ONLY LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 34 May 16th 05 04:57 PM
compatibility test nimu Glass 2 December 28th 04 03:06 PM
knot test of the EDK O J Knots 5 April 27th 04 11:39 PM
OT Story - Driving Test Follies Kandice Seeber Beads 9 July 23rd 03 02:27 AM