Dragons

Old June 21st 05, 05:09 PM
Anne in CA

Johanna Gibson wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:40:04 -0700, Anne in CA
wrote:

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:

I had a desk like that!! Did yours have interesting carvings all over from
children past? A mean little boy sat behind me and dipped my waist length
braids in his ink well and ruined my white blouse. Nasty little varmit.

His name (in my case) was Teddy Woodard. A red haired devil of a brat.
Since I am also of the red haired variety, when he caused my blouse
(Catholic school uniform style) to get splattered with ink, I turned
around, slugged him and caused a bloody nose. Guess which one of us
spent the afternoon with Mother Superior writing out an apology? and
which one got coddled and sent to nurse and even got a lollipop? Life is
NOT fair :-)

I see this often. Girls are expected to be better behaved than boys
by many people. It's not just men who cause gender stereotypes to be
continued. I was often called four-letter words by boys in school, in
front of the (female) teacher.. they were not punished, but I was when
I smacked them or told them where to go.

-- Jo in Scotland

The more things change, the more they stay the same ... Sometimes I
think we haven't moved much beyond those advice to the 50's housewife
books :-( Granted my incident was in 1953, but still!

--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Old June 21st 05, 09:14 PM
NightMist

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 01:32:41 +0100, Kate Dicey
wrote:

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

"Johanna Gibson" wrote in message

I think I must be the only one who never had an imaginary friend
when I was a child. For a while, I thought there was a ghost in the
closet, but then I worked it out that it was my white robe hanging
there... end of mystery.

And now look at all the imaginary people you converse with here on RCTQ. Me,
for example. I'm just a figment of your imagination. ;-)

No - your a figment of *MY* imagination!

Silly silly!

Everybody and everything are all figments of my imagination.

I know this because when I was five, I decided that I had best figure
out how things were, so I laid down to take a nap and dream it all up.

Believe you me, when I wake up I am going to make a few changes in how
things turn out!

NightMist
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old June 21st 05, 09:51 PM
Pauline O'Connell

I went to Catholic school too. When I was in 7th grade, the boys were
having fun putting thumb tacks on the seats. Since I'm kind of a scary
type, I sat down & jumped up screaming. Guess who got into trouble! Yep -
me! Go figure! I do remember when I lived in Australia that I got my
knuckles hit with the ruler a few times. I have no idea what I did to
deserve that - I must have been really, really bad We had Presentation
nuns - they had the habits with the pointy ears coming out of their
forehead. That was funny to us as kids.

Pauline

Old June 22nd 05, 01:39 PM
Pat in Virginia

Good .... make me a slender quilter with fantastic technique, and good
time management. Oh, a good cook too. Thanks. PAT

Old June 22nd 05, 01:39 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

You betcha - we did! ... and along the way we educated some folks about
what we would tolerate and what we wouldn't. LOL!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Anne in CA" wrote in message
SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
You did good girl!! Wasn't it fun to watch his face when you smacked him
in the nose? I was an awful lot like you as a child.

He was very surprised. Not many kids stood up to him and a GIRL? Not long
after that incident, my parents were advised that "it might be better if I
pursued my education elsewhere", ie. in the public school ;-) and that's a
'nother whole story in itself, VBEG

Ah well, you and I both grew up OK, right?

Old June 22nd 05, 01:41 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

It's the Eve thing. My mother always said she was going to have a long talk
with Eve when she got to heaven. She always said it with this edge in her
voice and we all understood that she probably wouldn't be doing much
talking.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
m...

wrote:

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:

[...]

Pocket Dragons in Cross Stitch, Scales of Justice & Five More Minutes on ebay lisa Marketplace 0 September 26th 04 10:31 PM
Dragons!!! Butterfly Quilting 2 August 6th 04 10:18 AM
[AD] New at Trash City - Metallic Mesh, Cocktail Charms, Dragons, Mushrooms, and more! Trashcitybeads Beads 0 July 1st 04 10:45 PM
Name your color! Done with dragons... Tinkster Beads 22 March 12th 04 01:50 AM