learning to knit - help!

Old October 29th 03, 08:22 PM
Bryan

Default learning to knit - help!

Ok, finally figured out cast on, knit, & purl. Tried to start a shaw
pattern: http://webs.lanset.com/potwench/robroy.htm

Ok, did ok up to line 7. Start line 7, I have 9 loops on the hook, how the
heck am I supposed to fit all these stitches onto just 9 loops?
K1, inc, *k1, yo, p1, p3tog, p1, yo,* k1, inc, k1.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^^^ ^ ^ ^ ^
1 2 3 4 5,6,7 8 9 10 11

??? aarrgghhh! help please

Bryan

Old October 29th 03, 08:32 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

Here's where your nine stitches a
K1, inc, *k1, yo, p1, p3tog, p1, yo,* k1, inc, k1.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^^^ ^ ^ ^ ^
1 2 3 4,5,6 7 8 9

The increase is usually made by knitting into the front and back of one
stitch, in this set that would be stitches 1 and 8. If you do not already
have good knitting instructions, someone else here can either describe how,
or recommend an URL with a good diagram of how to do this kind of increase.

Old October 29th 03, 08:35 PM
SuperEeyore

"Bryan" wrote in message
Ok, finally figured out cast on, knit, & purl. Tried to start a shaw
pattern: http://webs.lanset.com/potwench/robroy.htm

Ok, did ok up to line 7. Start line 7, I have 9 loops on the hook, how the
heck am I supposed to fit all these stitches onto just 9 loops?
K1, inc, *k1, yo, p1, p3tog, p1, yo,* k1, inc, k1.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^^^ ^ ^ ^ ^
1 2 3 4 5,6,7 8 9 10 11

Okay usually the increase is on the next stitch so that first increase than
k1 would be on one loop same with the last

Laurel

Old October 29th 03, 08:41 PM
SuperEeyore

"Sew-Sew Lady" wrote in message
.. .
Here's where your nine stitches a
K1, inc, *k1, yo, p1, p3tog, p1, yo,* k1, inc, k1.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^^^ ^ ^ ^ ^
1 2 3 4,5,6 7 8 9

The increase is usually made by knitting into the front and back of one
stitch, in this set that would be stitches 1 and 8. If you do not already
have good knitting instructions, someone else here can either describe

how,
or recommend an URL with a good diagram of how to do this kind of

increase.

Really? I was under the impression it was on the next stitch. Like in this
example, it states to knit 1, than increase on the next one

Laurel

Old October 29th 03, 09:00 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

You may be right. Upon closer inspection of the pattern Bryan is using,
they are using a different increase -- lifting the bar between two stitches.
This should be done between stitches 1 and 2, and between 8 and 9.

Old October 29th 03, 11:06 PM
Sonya Cirillo

Bryan:

Just in case you didn't get the answer you're looking for. . .

You have 9 sts at this point - so I tried to show where these 9 sts
go to (numbers in [] show the 'original' stitches):

Row 7: K1, inc, *k1, yo, p1, p3tog, p1, yo * k1, inc, k1
[1] (add) [2] (add) [3] -3 [4,5,6] [7] (add) [8] (add) [9]
(total stitches at end of the row = 11 sts)

Does this help?? If not, I (or someone else) might be able to think of
another way to say/show it.

Sonya

Old October 30th 03, 01:53 PM
Sarah Carter

Sew-Sew Lady wrote in message =
. ..

You may be right. Upon closer inspection of the pattern Bryan is =

using,
they are using a different increase -- lifting the bar between two =

stitches.
This should be done between stitches 1 and 2, and between 8 and 9.

I've found this to called Make one (or M1), but if there aren't enough =
sitiches the result would be that you would have one stitch more, so =
maybe that is right.

Sarah
--=20

Old October 30th 03, 06:03 PM
Bryan

Ok, this makes sence on "paper", I'll give it a try later. It'll probably be
a while tho as I told my sister if she whats her shawl soon, to pich a
crochet patter, and I think she's found 1 or 2 I can do. So, after that's
done I'll come back to this and try later.

Thanks for the explnation!

Bryan

Old November 7th 03, 11:32 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Wonderful teacher !!!
SewSews Lady !!!
mirjam

Old November 7th 03, 11:32 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Usually when they say`on` it is meant and ok to do it In between as
well
mirjam

"Sew-Sew Lady" wrote in message
. ..
Here's where your nine stitches a
K1, inc, *k1, yo, p1, p3tog, p1, yo,* k1, inc, k1.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^^^ ^ ^ ^ ^
1 2 3 4,5,6 7 8 9

The increase is usually made by knitting into the front and back of one
stitch, in this set that would be stitches 1 and 8. If you do not already
have good knitting instructions, someone else here can either describe

how,
or recommend an URL with a good diagram of how to do this kind of

increase.

Really? I was under the impression it was on the next stitch. Like in this
example, it states to knit 1, than increase on the next one

Laurel

FS: Knit and Crochet pattern books William Boulter Marketplace 0 December 1st 04 05:23 AM
FS: Knit and Crochet pattern books William Boulter Marketplace 0 December 1st 04 05:20 AM
NEW Machine Knit Patterns! Marge Parker Marketplace 0 August 28th 04 01:54 PM
Two things I've knit SuperEeyore Yarn 8 October 6th 03 02:03 AM
I need to knit faster! Allaya Diep Yarn 3 August 18th 03 03:48 AM