stinky yarn

Old August 10th 03, 10:00 PM
Laurie

Default stinky yarn

Ugh, I just learned a lesson. I bought some yarn off ebay. Nothing
huge or expensive. Just an inexpensive kit of yarn in Packers colors
for a gift. The kit came and actually the box it was packed in
smelled overwhelmingly like potpourri. I thought, "how nice."

But when I opened the little plastic zipper bag containing the yarn
and pattern book I was overwhelmed with the smell of cigarette smoke!
Ugh! It reeks! And I'm a former smoker! I have had the yarn outside
for 3 days in the sunshine and it still smells. This was supposed to
be a gift for a wee boy but I can't imagine giving a scarf and hat
that stinks of cigarettes to a toddler.

Anyone know how to get the smell out?

Thanks,
Laurie
Washougal, WA

Old August 10th 03, 11:37 PM
Claire

I was sent some beautiful baby cardigans and jumpers from a dear old aunt
who knits copiously for all the family babies. Trouble is, she smokes like a
burnt tyre. I've always found that washing the items gets the smell out
entirely, especially if i soak them overnight in fabric softener before
rinsing and drying (after washing). You could try knitting the scarf and hat
with the wool as it is then washing them carefully. I suppose you'd need to
press (or block?) them anyway? My woollens look like new the first few (or
dozen, depending on the wool) times I wash them so they would still look
pristine for a gift. Or even try knitting a small square with the wool,
washing and drying then seeing if the smell has gone before beginning the
projects?

Claire

om...

Old August 11th 03, 01:19 AM
Stella Fenley

would hand washing it in woolite make a difference in the smell. or you
could get some cedar chips tie the up in a netted onion bag put the chip and
yarn in a cloed bag ,the chips will help eliminate the smell,or some type of
granular charcoal that will eliminate the odor. you can find the granular
charcoal sometimes in the stores ,inthe section where air freshners are
sold.Stella

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
WAIT WAIT

That's a sure recipe for felt clubs if the stuff is wool!

No agitation, and for SURE no tumbling dry if the yarn is wool (unless
of course it is SUPERWASH wool!)

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:28:23 -0300, "Katherine Burgess"
wrote:

Laurie,
DO you have one of those net bags for washing lingerie in the washer? If

so,
pop your yarn in that, and wash it on a gentle cycle. Soak up the extra
moisture in a towel after spinning, and pop it in the drier with a Bounce
sheet.
HTH
Katherine

. com...

Old August 11th 03, 03:19 AM
Molvik Family

I second using "Febreeze" from personal experience.

We receive a bunk bed with mattresses and box springs from a smoker. I told
my DH "NOT IN MY HOUSE SMELLING LIKE THAT!" We tried the "Febreeze" and the
smell never came back.

We also had an incident on the road with a car-sick toddler and the carseat.
It took that smell out too without return!

JJMolvik

Old August 11th 03, 03:29 AM
Katherine Burgess

Whoops, sorry, Slinky! I was figuring that it was acrylic. Mea culpa, mea
culpa!
Katherine

wrote:

Laurie,
DO you have one of those net bags for washing lingerie in the washer? If

so,
pop your yarn in that, and wash it on a gentle cycle. Soak up the extra
moisture in a towel after spinning, and pop it in the drier with a Bounce
sheet.
HTH
Katherine

. com...

Old August 11th 03, 04:05 AM
Shillelagh

I had the same problem with yarn purchased at Value Village.... reeked of
cig smoke. Bought Febreze and it worked.... (but I don't care for the smell
of Febreze myself). I laid the balls of yarn on the rug, on a clean towel,
sprayed both sides of the balls, and left them to air for a couple of days.
Smoke stink was gone.

Shelagh

"Sew-Sew Lady" wrote in message
. ..