charm quilt questions

Old June 22nd 05, 05:05 AM
Helen in MN

oh my gosh!
What size are your pieces, and how in the heck are you keeping track of all
of them. It looks marvelous!
Helen

"DrQuilter" wrote in message
take a look at mine. started in 99, still in progress... carefull planning
in this case:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...36873794NQCrQu

Helen in MN wrote:

Well, I bought the papers in 2000, so technically it could be millennium
quilt - okay, so that didn't fly.

Anyway, I have been making my 2" paper diamonds, working towards a
tumbling block quilt. I have enough made that I can start playing with
them. So some questions are popping up for you veteran charm quilters.
Did you play with them first, sorting them and then sewing some together,
or did you wait and only sew them together when you had all the pieces
done
Did you try to sort them, or did you just say "what the heck" and sew
them together? I do know I'll sort light, medium and dark, but other than
that....?
Do you have pictures of finished charm quilts so I can get encouragement?

Thanks in advance
Helen in MN

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Old June 22nd 05, 06:30 AM
DrQuilter

They are around 1 by 3" so it is not going to be that large, a wall
hanging probably. I will have 100 5" blocks in the end (10x10)with 20
different strips each (2000, ergo a millenium quilt). Since a lot of
them were given to me after trimming 3" squares to 2" and are not quite
1" wide, I am not being anal about them being totally homogeneous, I am
going more for the effect.

We have finished the blue quarter, I should post a pic of that. We are
having a bit of trouble at the moment finding the right colours to fill
the remaining gaps but mostly the issue is having time to work on it (it
is a joint project with DH - DD wants to 'help' but actually usually
sets us back by taking strips off the wall ).

How do I keep track of it? It is on the design wall (has been for a
while) so not much manipulation going on except for sewing the units
when we settle on their definitive placement.

I make units of 5 strips, 4 units make a 'block' of 20, etc.

And it is not absolutely important to have them in the exact position,
the gradient works even if you make a small mistatke.