Birds of a Feather--Block 1

Old August 15th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

Default Birds of a Feather--Block 1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28328779@N00/1128517136/

Has anyone here made this quilt? Seems like a good mix of piecing and
quilting. I'm changing the colorway somewhat with a golden honey
background mix of fabrics and Four Seasons colors for accents.

joan

Old August 15th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I am anxious to see how yours turns out Joan. Your first block
looks terrific. DH wandered by the monitor and commented about
how he liked it. Maybe it is something I should do too?

Taria

Old August 16th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Your block looks just great Joan! I love the colors together! Changing the
color scheme from the original on such a complex project is a rather
daunting task. I think you're off to a great start. By the way, who is the
newest 311 fan??? :-)

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
ups.com...

Old August 16th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Way cool ... is that a Pat Sloan pattern?
The baby is darling ... the guys are cute too.
PAT

Old August 16th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I also meant to ask....how are you doing the applique?

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 17th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

Newest 311 fan (Olivia) is the daughter of the band's road massage
therapist, who is holding the baby in the picture.

The Birds of a Feather book is by Allen and Adams, a Kansas City Star
project.

As for the applique, I'm in a perpetual search for the perfect
applique technic. At this point, I'm using freezer paper templates
and either rubber cement or glue stick to turn the margins under.
Then I'm using a very narrow zigzag stitch with dark invisible thread
to secure them to the background. I want the 'poof' of applique (not
fused), but my hand applique is so slow that I might not out live the
project. For some of the appliqued circles (berries) in other blocks,
I'm using mylar circles and starch (with the iron) to turn the
margins. If there were more repeating pieces in the blocks, I'd
probably do mylar for them, but I hate to make a template for just one
bird or one flower.

I get burned out on whatever technic I try.

joan--short-attention span quilter!

Old August 17th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Sharon Schamber's technique might work well for you. She uses an
interfacing that dissolves for her templates. Hummm I wonder if her new
website has her techinque? I don't have it bookmarked. Basically she glues
the seam allowances under and then glues the piece down so it can be
stitched. The piece is then washed and the stiff interfacing turns into
fibers that are left behind the now soft applique. That's the basics. I've
left out quite a bit....let me know if you need further info and I'll see if
I can find her online info.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
oups.com...

Old August 17th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

http://www.purpledaisiesllc.com/stat...?page=applique Here's a version
of her technique.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 17th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

I've seen several of her quilts in Paducah and they are wonderful.
Technic might be worth a try!

Thanx,
joan

remove "nospam" before mchsihttp://community.webshots.com/user/kathylquiltz"KJ" wrote in message

Sharon Schamber's technique might work well for you. She uses an
interfacing that dissolves for her templates. Hummm I wonder if her new
website has her techinque? I don't have it bookmarked. Basically she
glues the seam allowances under and then glues the piece down so it can be
stitched. The piece is then washed and the stiff interfacing turns into
fibers that are left behind the now soft applique. That's the basics.
I've left out quite a bit....let me know if you need further info and I'll
see if I can find her online info.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

joan--short-attention span quilter!- Hide quoted text -

Old August 18th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

Joan....I just fused and light invisibled thread appliqued a small wall
hanging...primitive style WH...and
now that i want the applique to 'pouf' a bit I'm not sure what to do and it
just lays on
the floor awaiting my decision ! I'm hoping that quilting will do it .
I bought Sharon Schamber's book on applique and in it
she has a new product ..available on her website and softexpressions.com as
well....and
apparently it is an applique stabilizer that will soften and pouf somewhat
when you wash it using
synthropol...and supposed to make machine applique look like hand applique
!!!...
I"m hoping that this will really work well because I have many projects I'd
like to do
but just can't manage to do them by hand if I want them finished in my
lifetime.
When I tried to buy it at her site a few weeks ago it wasn't in stock but
I'm going to
try again now that she has it available.
Has anyone here tried it yet?...It is called...Regular Weight Applique
Foundation ( also comes in Lightweight )
Mary in VT

[...]

It's here - for my fellow Birds of a Feather Fans -L'Automne Cheryl Isaak Needlework 0 February 16th 06 12:01 PM
Knock me over with a feather Brenda Needlework 1 April 10th 05 11:51 AM
A feather in her cap Diana Curtis Quilting 2 February 14th 05 10:34 PM
feather weight 221 jules Quilting 19 November 10th 03 01:56 PM
feather wool Jacqueline Butt Yarn 1 October 18th 03 01:43 AM