How do I assemble large quilts?

Old December 2nd 05, 07:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default How do I assemble large quilts?

I'm making a quilt-top size 90 in. by 120 in. but I don't know how to
assemble the three layers to obtain a smooth product.
Would a quilting frame be of any help in assembly and if so what are some
hints on how to go about it?
Any other ideas? Thanks!
DA

Old December 2nd 05, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm making a quilt-top size 90 in. by 120 in. but I don't know
how to assemble the three layers to obtain a smooth product.
Would a quilting frame be of any help in assembly and if so what
are some hints on how to go about it?

Use the floor. Get the backing properly flat first, add the other
two layers, give the backing a few small tugs from all sides to make
sure it's flat, add pins. Best to pin by first putting one in the
middle and one on each corner, then fill in the gaps to get a finer
and finer density of pins until they're only a few inches apart.
Use the curved ones, they're easier to insert without pulling the
layers out of alignment. Once you've got enough pins in to hold it
more or less together, turn it over, look for tucks and baggy bits
and fix them. Yours is a bit bigger than anything we've done (who
has a ten-foot bed?) but the principle is the same.

Posting this is a displacement activity as I'm just about to go do
exactly that - getting over a cold, and still gasping for breath on
exertion, so crawling round the floor putting in a couple of hundred
pins isn't going to be much fun.

A quilting frame big enough to handle that would require a building
permit and you'd have to order it fom a shipyard.

Old December 2nd 05, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

This is excellent advice! The only addition I would make would be to
use a very large floor area, and if you can enlist some help of a
friendly quilting group, do it! Buy lunch, bake cookies, whatever it
takes. I take my over-size pieces to my church and spread out
everything in the carpeted "friendship area" outside of the sanctuary.
The carpeting is low-loft stuff, which makes it non-slippery and yet
fairly simple to shift the quilt stuff and to stick in the pins. I
always talk to the Monday morning quilt group a week or so in advance,
and they are very gracious to help me be sure I don't get any wrinkles.
After I get everything pinned I roll the entire sandwich, carry it
down to the cafeteria area, unroll it onto the vinyl floor, and baste.
It's a fair amount of work, but well worth it!

Old December 2nd 05, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Following up Jack's message: the pins mentioned are safety pins - just
in case you were going to try with straight pins.
..
In message , Jack
Campin - bogus address writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old December 3rd 05, 12:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Good advice Jack, but should we assume everybody knows to use safety pins?
(If you can't find or don't like the curved pins, 1" brass ones are good.
Anything that doesn't rust!)

Also, make sure the backing is smooth but *not stretched*.

I baste my sandwich on a dining table. First the middle third, then each
side. Tape the backing down at each end. Aging knees, can't be crawling
around on the floor any more! If your table is too precious to risk pin
scratches, you can slide your cutting mat around as you work along. Or find
some amenable public place with a big table.
Roberta in D

"Jack Campin - bogus address" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
[...]

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

Old December 3rd 05, 12:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I use a carpeted floor and t-pins. I stake out the bottom piece - wrong
side up then add the batting being careful not to stretch it - then the top
placed right side up is staked out/ Then I sit in the middle and pin baste
the three layers together with safety pins about a hands width apart. When
basted remove all the t-pins and take to your machine and quilt or lap quilt
as you desire.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old December 3rd 05, 02:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have a dining room table with leaves that's almost the length of a
queen size quilt. I lay on the backing and then bttng then top and
safety pin it - another consideration - are you machine or hand
quilting it? I hand quilt in a lap frame and don't need many safety
pins relative to machine quilting which needs at least 3x as many pins
to keep it from bunching when you quilt.
Musicmaker

Old December 3rd 05, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Roberta Zollner wrote:
I baste my sandwich on a dining table. First the middle third, then each
side. Tape the backing down at each end.

I use my dining room table, too. I have a huge table when all the leaves
are in. You can do it on a small table, but it means moving the sandwich
more often. Baste the center section first; then move to one side,
smooth out the layers, baste; repeat until done. It's much easier on the
back and knees. I use big binder clips from an office supply store to
hold the backing down.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/