Sewing & Quilt Expo - Overland Park, Ks. - anyone going?

Old October 13th 05, 02:15 AM
Bonnie

Default Sewing & Quilt Expo - Overland Park, Ks. - anyone going?

By any chance is anyone here going to the Sewing & Quilt Expo in
Overland Park, Ks.? It runs from tomorrow through Saturday. I live
just east of Kansas City and I decided to take vacation days from work
this year so I can go all three days and take classes.

I am taking classes with Holice Turnbow all day tomorrow and Friday and
Saturday will hear Marianne Fons (of Fons & Porter) speak. I have been
sewing on and off all my life but only starting making quilts about a
year and a half ago. These will be the first classes I've ever taken
and I'm sure looking forward to them!

I just wondered if maybe anyone here will be going or if any of you
have ever taken any classes with Holice Turnbow?

Bonnie in Missouri

Old October 13th 05, 03:45 AM
Bonnie

Hi Jan! It's good to hear from you again! I've been so busy with so much
that I have not had the time to spend online very much but I still pop in
and read once in awhile. I plan on being there all three days and since I'm
taking classes all day Thursday and Friday I will use Saturday to look
around at everything. Maybe we'll bump into each other Saturday!

Bonnie

I think we are targeting Saturday, but I'll be the tired looking mom with
the adorable energetic 3 year old and the handsome husband lol.... not
taking classes..... just shopping. I've seen Holice Turnbow on QNN and I
think his class would be wonderful!! Enjoy!!!

Jan

Old October 13th 05, 04:07 AM
teleflora

"Bonnie" wrote in message
By any chance is anyone here going to the Sewing & Quilt Expo in
Overland Park, Ks.? It runs from tomorrow through Saturday. I live
just east of Kansas City and I decided to take vacation days from work
this year so I can go all three days and take classes.

I am taking classes with Holice Turnbow all day tomorrow and Friday and
Saturday will hear Marianne Fons (of Fons & Porter) speak. I have been
sewing on and off all my life but only starting making quilts about a
year and a half ago. These will be the first classes I've ever taken
and I'm sure looking forward to them!

I just wondered if maybe anyone here will be going or if any of you
have ever taken any classes with Holice Turnbow?

Bonnie in Missouri

I'm going up on Friday for the day. Not taking any classes though. If I
lived closer I sure would. I may get a room and stay all 3 days next year
and take loads of classes.

Cindy

Old October 13th 05, 05:00 AM
Debbie Graves

I would have loved to have gone but most of the things i wanted to do
required me to bring my own sewing machine and i still am learning how
to use it I'm on vacation the rest of this week and ive begun to
finally cut out blocks for my daughters quilt and yesterday I went to
the quit store in Parkville and was doing the happy dance!!! They had
one of the fabric panels i need for the quilt that got me inspired to
learn how!!!!! I think the lady thought i was nuts cuz i was so
happy!!

those of you going have fun this weekend!!

debbie in Overland Park KS

Old October 13th 05, 05:53 AM
Bonnie

"Jan" wrote:
:-) We'll be around in the morning most likely.... that's usually our
best time of day. I was just disappointed that I missed Quilt Stations
newsletter... apparently they are having a quilters retreat in Lee's
Summit this weekend...... now what I wouldn't give for a night or two
with quilts and no responsibility!! :-) What other classes did you
decide on? Did you make it to the Crown Center Quilt Show? We hit that
last weekend. It was nice.

Jan

Since I've never taken any classes before I'm taking a beginner class on
piecing - even though I've made three twin quilts and three lap quilts, I
figured I might want to find out if I'm doing anything wrong! I'm also
taking a class on machine quilting, both straight line and free motion - I
really need help there! Friday I'm taking a class on foundation piecing.
All the classes are three hour ones so I'll stay pretty busy. Saturday I'm
going to see Marianne Fons and her "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to My
Sewing Machine". I think she will be narrating a slide show. I'm hoping to
see lots of new gadgets and such while there too!

I missed the Crown Center Quilt Show again this year! I had to work last
Saturday. Maybe next year! I did not know about the quilt retreat in Lees
Summit - that would have been fun!

I'd better get myself to bed - I have a long drive in rush hour traffic
tomorrow and I have to be there at 8:00 AM.

Maybe I'll see you Saturday - I'll look for a very cute three year old!

Bonnie

Old October 13th 05, 05:59 AM
Bonnie

"teleflora" wrote:
I'm going up on Friday for the day. Not taking any classes though. If I
lived closer I sure would. I may get a room and stay all 3 days next year
and take loads of classes.

Cindy

That sounds like fun to go up and get a room! I wish I could do that but
after paying for all the classes I could not afford it! I have a good hours
drive but I know it could be worse. I just hate that rush hour traffic -
yuck!

I wish they had more quilting classes than they do. It seems like there are
mainly classes on other types of sewing. Still, there were several I did
not take this year that I might next year if they still have them.

I'll be in class a large part of the day, but you never know, we might still
run into each other. Have fun while you are there!

Bonnie

Old October 13th 05, 06:02 AM
Bonnie

It sounds like you'll be having fun working on your daughters quilt! Don't
you love it when you find just the right fabric!

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Bonnie

Old October 13th 05, 05:38 PM
teleflora

"Bonnie" wrote in message

"teleflora" wrote:
I'm going up on Friday for the day. Not taking any classes though. If I
lived closer I sure would. I may get a room and stay all 3 days next
year and take loads of classes.

Cindy

That sounds like fun to go up and get a room! I wish I could do that but
after paying for all the classes I could not afford it! I have a good
hours drive but I know it could be worse. I just hate that rush hour
traffic - yuck!

One of my favorite hotels is the White Haven up the road. I think it's
about at 80th? It's the kind of place that even if I haven't stayed there
for 5 years, when I call them up they will remember me and ask about my mom.
They own some houses in the area behind the motel. If you have family
staying with you, and need lots of room it is pretty inexpensive. They were
full up one time and I needed a place to stay. I whined a bit and they gave
me one of the 2 bedroom houses. It is kind of like staying at Grandma's
house.

They fill up fast during the week with business travelers, but weekends are
usually easy. And they are very reasonable. If you get tired of the drive,
go there.

Cindy

Old October 15th 05, 03:17 AM
Bonnie

Thanks for telling me about the Pleasant Hill show - if I can I will try and
go. Do you have any quilts in it? I know you do excellent work! If it is
not far off 7 Hwy. then I'm sure I could find it. (I work in a medical
office on 7 Hwy. in Blue Springs)

The first two days of the show have been great! I've enjoyed all my classes
and definitely discovered what I know and don't know! Hollis Turnbow is a
good teacher and a very nice person.

I've done my share of shopping too...... today I brought home (gulp) 12
yards of fabric. I've had a lot of fun and have come home exhausted both
nights.

I found out next years Expo will be the weekend before Thanksgiving - I hate
that schedule. Once you get that close to the holidays it seems like there
is not time or money for anything. I really like having the Expo in
October - not that my opinion matters to whoever schedules these things -
but I did fill out their opinion survey anyway.

I hope I see you and your family tomorrow. I'll be at the Marianne Fons
show for an hour in the morning but will be wandering around after that. I
know your daughter is adorable! I have a three year old grandson and he and
his older sister definitely have my heart.

Enjoy the show - maybe I'll see you.

Bonnie

"Jan" wrote in message
k.net...
Wow!! Sounds like a wonderful line up of classes!!!!!! You are going
to have so much fun!! I always leave shows thinking I'm super quilter
with at least 3 more tops in my brain.

The crown center show goes thru Sunday, so if you are really just having
quilt withdrawals on Sunday, you have a shot. :-)

And on a side note... Pleasant Hill's combined guild show is coming up
"The Not Time to cook Quilt Show" Oct 21 11-7, Oct 22 9-4 at the
Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church Community Life Center 1300
Lexington Road. My guess is it will be well marked, not far off of 7,
but if you want directions, just let me know.... because by next weekend
you really might be in withdrawal :-)

Hope to bump into you at the Sew Expo!! Not many little kids at these
things so a 3 year old little girl is usually a good marker :-) and
fewer men, so I should be easy to spot lol... Have fun!!!

Old October 15th 05, 03:25 AM
Bonnie

It sounds like you have a great place to stay while at the Sewing Expo.
That must be so nice to be able to stay close like that. I live an hour
away and just drive in - I'm pushing it to afford the classes and what I
spend on goodies at the show.

Didn't you go to the show today? I was there but in class most of the day.
Did you have a good time and did you find any cool sewing items that you
just could not resist buying?!

I'm going back tomorrow for one of the Marianne Fons shows and to get one
more good look at all the booths.

Bonnie