Papermaking NG?

Old November 1st 03, 09:20 PM
Margie Davis

Default Papermaking NG?

Does anyone know of a newsgroup on papermaking?

Old November 4th 03, 07:21 AM
Pat Kight

Apple Loosa wrote:

In article ,
says...

Does anyone know of a newsgroup on papermaking?

You would be better off using the Web and
Google to search for sites that offer what
you want. I'm sure there must be sites that
have "chat rooms" that would serve your interest.
USENET Newsgroups are slowly losing out to
the Web when it comes to participatory forums.

Actually, Usenet continues to enjoy upward growth, both in number of
posters and volume of posts. It's true that Internet newcomers do
sometimes find it all difficult and baffling, but those who persist and
learn the "rules of the road" can find newsgroups extremely useful.

For some of us, Web-based chat and forums that require registration,
deposit cookies and spyware on your computer and cannot be accessed
without a Web browser will never replace the free, global and
text-accessible usefulness of Usenet, despite its rough edges. Not to
mention the fact that Web groups tend to vanish with alarming regularity
as their hosts go out of business, get bought up by others or just lose
interest. And when they do, the posts are gone - poof - forever. Whereas
most of Usenet is archived via groups.google.com, so it can be used both
as a discussion tool and a research tool.

That said, no, there does not appear to be a papermaking newsgroup.
Papermaking questions and discussions would be perfectly appropriate in
rec.crafts.misc, though.

--
Pat Kight

Old November 4th 03, 08:43 PM
Pat Kight

Apple Loosa wrote:

ALSO, I have visited
Wet Canvas from time to time and find that the
moderating keeps it too saccharine for my taste.
I get sick of all the "you scratch my back and
I'll scratch yours" commentaries.

That having been said, I don't question your knowledge
of the growth of USENET, but I certainly haven't seen
that in those few forums I frequent on a daily basis.
They "used to be" very active, back when the Web was
in its infancy and there weren't all the chat rooms
to draw interest.

Spam, trolls and flame wars have taken their toll on some groups, but
others have grown and continue to grow. In my own experience, the arts
and crafts newsgroups do seen to be on the decline, probably - as you
point out - because there are so many alternatives that are easier for
Internet newcomers to find and use. But the newsgroups related to
anything having to do with computing, to healthcare, to relationship
issues, to politics, to social support - they're still huge, and
growing, and the total number of newsgroups, particularly outside the
US, continues to grow at a strong pace.

(Anyone who's really intersted in this stuff might want to read some of
the groups in the news.admin heirarchy, which is all about Usenet, how
it works, how it *doesn't* work and the difficulties of administering
it, including the never-ending fight against net-abuse.)

I'm with you on the quality of discourse in Usenet versus chat-type
forums, by the way. I'm a grownup; I'm capable of deciding what I want
to read and not read, and I don't think much of the "OK, you kids play
nice" attitude I've found on some highly moderated forums. If you choose
your newsgroups with care (and learn how to employ filters and
kill-files to screen out the spammers and jerks), the level of
information and discussion is both more intelligent and more in-depth.

--
Pat Kight

Old November 17th 03, 11:34 PM
Maria

You should suggest it to Arnold Grummer's

www.arnoldgrummer.com

They have supplies and information on paper making and paper casting.

Papermaking Maria Marketplace 0 November 17th 03 11:31 PM
Papermaking and Paper Casting Supplies Maria Marketplace 0 November 12th 03 02:31 AM