Pens for writing on fabric

Old December 29th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Default Pens for writing on fabric

Does it have to be a pigma pen or can any permanent marker work?
Thanx
Joanna
Old December 29th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

That's a yes and no, Joanna. Some 'any' permanent markers might work as
well or better. . . or you might have a runny mess. To consider an
alternate, I think I'd test it by heat-setting on a scrap, holding it under
running water for a minute or two and letting it dry. Then, abuse it with
letting it sit wet on something white to see if it's going to weep or fade.
There's a mug of permanent markers here - some say 'not for fabric'.
Some claim they are and they are not so good.
You knew all this, didn't you? Polly

"Joanna" wrote Does it have to be a pigma pen or can any permanent marker
work?
Thanx
Joanna

Old December 29th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Default Pens for writing on fabric...Polly

Nope, I didn't know any of this. So thank you for answering my question.
I have some so I will test over tonight and tomorrow and see if I like.
Thanx
Joanna
Alberta

Old December 29th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Be a little wary of the ones that are not made for fabric.
A high xylol or benzene content will damage the fabric. Lord knows
what else they may put in some of them. Not so critical with a lable,
but my less than scientific rule of thumb is if using it too long
makes you goofy it will probably eventually eat your fabric. A fair
few of those chemicals are like bleach in that they never completely
wash out, and keep working slow but sure until they leave holes in the
fabric you wrote on.
Since I write the fiber content and laundry instructions on mine, I
fuss.

NightMist

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old December 29th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Pens and interfacing

Oh my golly, NightMist. I was just thinking of smearing or disappearing.
Didn't cross my mind that they might do an acid sort of damage as well. A
lot would depend on what you're marking. For a crib quilt that can only
expect a life span of 3 or 4 years, we wouldn't worry. For a quilt that
will hope for much longer - ah yes, that's different.
Also - you need to know - yesterday I was searching through some little
catalogs and noticed there's a new interfacing that's promising not to turn
brown with age. Aha. Just as I suspected. Some do, you know? Or can.
Polly

"NightMist" wrote Be a little wary of the ones that are not made for

Old December 29th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

That is why Sharpie markers are great for writing your kid's initials
on their underwear when they go to camp, but not so hot for anything
that can expect a long life. Sharpies are vicious.

Browned interfacing or interlining looks a sight under something like
lawn doesn't it!?
Generally for interfacing and such I am about a hundred years behind
the times. Or very avante garde, depends on what you usually pay for
clothes. (G)
Something new that has overcome one of the problems of much of the
modern stuff certainly has my attention. Yes many synthetics brown
eventually, and a good lot of fusibles brown rather quickly.
Stuffs stiffened with glues, gums, or resins brown rather fast too,
and that has been known for a very very long time.

Do you recall anything about this new stuff other than the
non-browning?

NightMist

Old December 29th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default interfacing

I retraced my steps, so to speak. In the Newark dressmaker supply catalog,
I found the soft velcro I needed and a tube of FrayBlock - essentials for
preemie clothing. That's where I came across Mistyfuse Ultraviolet -
'especially formulated to protect against the tanning effect of UV rays'.
Sort of like a sunscreen I suppose.
You can look around at the good stuff they supply at www.newarkdress.com
I've shopped there for years for little necessities and I like these people.
Of course, I like just about everybody. A character flaw of some sort, I
suppose. Polly

"NightMist" wrote That is why Sharpie markers are great for writing your

Old December 29th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I have some of that suff. I should get it out and get back to that
project.
Newark catalog has been around for a lot of years. Before the internet
I bought from them pretty often. They are nice folk.
Taria

You can look around at the good stuff they supply at www.newarkdress.com

Old December 30th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Great site! I saw they had my favorite chalk marker under Craft
Supplies (chalk cartridge set) and at a much better price than I paid
here, even though AFAIK it is German-made!
Roberta in D

Old December 30th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Roberta, you might want to ask them to send you a catalog. Usually, in the
back, they have coupons for reduced shipping and several specials that might
be nice bargains for you. Polly

"Roberta" wrote Great site! I saw they had my favorite chalk marker under

wrote:

I retraced my steps, so to speak. In the Newark dressmaker supply
catalog,
I found the soft velcro I needed and a tube of FrayBlock - essentials for
preemie clothing. That's where I came across Mistyfuse Ultraviolet -
'especially formulated to protect against the tanning effect of UV rays'.
Sort of like a sunscreen I suppose.
You can look around at the good stuff they supply at
www.newarkdress.com

Fabric pens? Sunny[_2_] Quilting 1 October 7th 07 04:39 AM
pens Gen Quilting 2 April 20th 07 02:19 AM
Bic Pens not OT Kerry W Polymer Clay 1 January 26th 05 06:39 AM
gel pens Linda Rubberstamps 1 December 6th 03 05:09 PM
Gel Pens [email protected] Rubberstamps 0 August 31st 03 11:20 PM