Sock embroidery

Old December 24th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn, alt.sewing, rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Default Sock embroidery

Hi all:

I'm hoping to embroider a simple pattern on a pair of socks as a gift
(just a pair of letters, basically). It doesn't need to be done by
Christmas, but I'd like to finish it within the coming week.

Two questions:

1) Is it realistic to accomplish this myself given that I've never
done anything like this whatsoever? And if so -- how might I do it?

2) If not, is it realistic for anyone here to do it for me within the
next few days (for a reasonable fee, of course)?

Thanks!
Mark
Old December 24th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Pogonip wrote:
Many machines have built-in alphabets,
and there is an old Singer monogrammer that does single
capital letters for older machines. If it's just two
letters, though, it may be just as simple to embroider by
hand.

Funnily enough, I bought one a few years back, just before I
finally bought the XL5000. I'm planning on putting the
Singer monogrammer on eBay.

Beverly

Old December 24th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn, alt.sewing, rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

On Dec 24, 5:27*am, "BEI Design"
wrote:
Pogonip wrote:
* * * * Many machines have built-in alphabets,
and there is an old Singer monogrammer that does single
capital letters for older machines. *If it's just two
letters, though, it may be just as simple to embroider by
hand.

Funnily enough, I bought one a few years back, just before I
finally bought the XL5000. *I'm planning on putting the
Singer monogrammer on eBay.

Beverly

If you don`t have an `old fashioned ` wooden mushroom that was used
to repair socks , use a drinking cup [ glass or ceramic , not
paper ] . Slide cup into sock , put intended place for embroidery over
the Cup`s open side , make it flat and hold well with your non
embroidfering hand. now embroider the letter , [best would be with
False knitted st that look like V , finish , slide cup out , turn
inside out and finish with a very flat way.
mirjam
Old December 24th 07, 10:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework, rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Bernadette

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:05:59 -0800, mtimony1 wrote:

Hi all:

I'm hoping to embroider a simple pattern on a pair of socks as a gift
(just a pair of letters, basically). It doesn't need to be done by
Christmas, but I'd like to finish it within the coming week.

Two questions:

1) Is it realistic to accomplish this myself given that I've never done
anything like this whatsoever? And if so -- how might I do it?

2) If not, is it realistic for anyone here to do it for me within the next
few days (for a reasonable fee, of course)?

Thanks!
Mark

Swiss darning is the easiest way to do what you are want Mark. Full
information on "how to" is given at:
http://www.studioknits.com/bookpage55.htm and the diagrams are very clear.

Good luck with completing your project.
Bernadette
--
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light
Old December 24th 07, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn, alt.sewing, rec.crafts.textiles.needlework, rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:05:59 -0800 (PST), mtimony1@gm
ail.com wrote:

I'm hoping to embroider a simple pattern on a pair of socks as a gift
(just a pair of letters, basically). It doesn't need to be done by
Christmas, but I'd like to finish it within the coming week.

Fastest way to do it would probably be by hand. Two simple
stitches that would work for this would be stem stitch/outline stitch,
or chain stitch...
the first pair are just worked with the twist going opposite directions,
and can be a bit of a pain to work around a "round" letter like an O or an
R.

http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10...rial-stem.html

Chainstitch has a natural elasticity that could be useful with a sock:
http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10...ial-chain.html

You'll need to hold the fabric steady while you're stitching on it --
a small embroidery
hoop is one possibility, but I think stick-on embroidery stabilizer might
be easier. Or you can boil up a tablespoon of corn starch in a cup of water,
paint it on the sock, and iron it dry -- it'll be cardboardy stiff.

Two chainstitch letters on a sock... I dunno, maybe 15-20 minutes for me.
A little longer for you if you've never embroidered before.

Kay

Old December 24th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn, alt.sewing, rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10...video-tutorial...

Chainstitch has a natural elasticity that could be useful with a sock:http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10...video-tutorial...

You'll need to hold the fabric steady while you're stitching on it --
a small embroidery
hoop is one possibility, but I think stick-on embroidery stabilizer might
be easier. *Or you can boil up a tablespoon of corn starch in a cup of water,
paint it on the sock, and iron it dry -- it'll be cardboardy stiff.

Two chainstitch letters on a sock... I dunno, maybe 15-20 minutes for me.
A little longer for you if you've never embroidered before.

Kay

I would NOT stablize any kind of knitted cloth !!!!! use a cup put as
i explained above !!!
mirjam
Old December 27th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Mystified One[_2_]

what about a water-soluble stabilizer that dissolves after the stitching is
done? This would provide for the stability needed to create the stitching
but yet is not permanent and thus wouldn't interfere with the mobility of
the sock.

Just a thought, I've never tried it nor heard of it, but it would seem to me
it would be just what was needed. If anyone has time to try it or
experience with it, would you please comment?

Old December 28th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn, alt.sewing, rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

ail.com wrote:

[...]

mirjam- Hide quoted text -

I thnk it will somehow ruin something in the wool ,,,,
It is SO EASY just to hold it over a cup or a mushroom ,,,,!!!
mirjam

Sock embroidery [email protected] Needlework 9 December 28th 07 04:40 AM
Sock embroidery Pogonip[_2_] Sewing 1 December 24th 07 03:27 AM
Sock embroidery BEI Design Sewing 0 December 24th 07 03:25 AM
ISO sock pattern recs for self-striping and variegated sock yarns Laura J Yarn 24 October 12th 06 11:11 PM
Question for the knitters of sock inside sock Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 13 March 5th 06 05:07 AM