Corinabeads and challenges

Old August 31st 04, 04:37 AM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Default Corinabeads and challenges

Latest challenge - lots of eye candy: http://snipurl.com/8rfz

The auction that closed for over $1000: http://snipurl.com/8rg1 (to do her
site and read about her reaction to it)

And 2 current auctions that are already over $300 with days to go:

http://snipurl.com/8rg2

http://snipurl.com/8rg4

--
Barbara

Old August 31st 04, 06:16 AM
~Candace~

http://snipurl.com/8rg2

Hehehehehehehehehehe Corina can't spell.
It makes me giggle to see someone with such masterful talent do something so
human as mess up the word that says it all--Lampwork. (Lamwork?)

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Old August 31st 04, 11:14 AM
lgreene

oh lordy...i am such a black and white bead ho! not so impressed with
"africa" beads, but i love these:
http://snipurl.com/8rg2

Have never been much impressed with Corinabeads before, but oooh la la.

Lisa

Old August 31st 04, 05:38 PM
Dr. Sooz

The auction that closed for over $1000: http://snipurl.com/8rg1 (to do her
site and read about her reaction to it)

Come ON. This is insane.
~~
Sooz

Old August 31st 04, 07:03 PM
~Candace~

Kathy, did you notice that Corina was looking around, trying to find more
beads to send along with the auctioned beads? I think that you're right
about her take on it--she knows that ending price was over the top, and
wants to provide more bead for the buck

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:38:39 -0400, Dr. Sooz wrote
(in message ):

The auction that closed for over $1000: http://snipurl.com/8rg1 (to do

her
site and read about her reaction to it)

Come ON. This is insane.

Sooz

I agree, and I am usually arguing to raise the prices that the
beadmakers get. That was a nice strand of lampwork, and Corina is
probably among the most well known lampworkers, but really. I've
seen nicer stuff made by our own RCB-ers, and I strongly suspect that
this is one set of beads that will not retain its value.

The number of people on Earth who know what lampwork is, appreciate
it as an art form, know who Corina is, and want to spend $1,000+ on
lampwork is vanishingly small. I'd venture to say that the number is
either one or two, and those people are the ones who bid that up in
the first place. Once the winning bidder has the goods, if she ever
wants to sell them, she'd have to get those same conditions to get
her money back, and since she isn't going to bid against herself to
run up the price, it won't rise anywhere near as high.

If those beads are taken apart as a set and used in various pieces of
jewelry, there is still very little chance of the person making her
money back (much less a profit). After all, are there a bunch of
Corina bead fanatics out there who want a piece of jewelry with just
one bead and are willing to pay for it? If so, are they all so
computer impaired that they couldn't bid on eBay themselves and get a
whole strand?

Another consideration is that beads aren't signed - they could be
"Kathleena Beads" just as easily as "Corina Beads." Once this
auction is over and forgotten, unless the person contacts Corina
herself (and Corina remembers that particular set of beads - which I
think she will), there's no way to authenicate the set - much less an
individual bead.

Corina herself was shocked and bemused when she wrote about the
auction on her own web page. I suspect that she thinks the ending
price was insane as well, but certainly won't say so.

Kathy N-V

Old September 1st 04, 02:31 PM
Karen_AZ

]there's no way to authenicate the set - much less an
]individual bead.

some of our offerings are going to have certificates of
authentication. they'll be numbered to match.

Okay, I need a reality check here. I have a feeling I'm going to get flamed
for this but as a beadmaker I still have to say, come on,
people.....authentication for lumps of glass???? That's just silly. This
isn't fine art, it's just beads.

KarenK

Old September 1st 04, 03:06 PM
Stephanie

.....authentication for lumps of glass???? That's just silly. This
isn't fine art, it's just beads.

KarenK

I think some bead makers are craftsmen and some are artists. I look at beads
along with all glassworks, and glass is an art medium and is used as a
practical application.
Did some Meanie tell you you can't be an artist because you can't draw a
straight line? It always makes me sad when someone's creative spirit is
squashed because some ignoramus told them their expression was not "good" (by
whose standards?)

......Stephanie.....
Old September 1st 04, 05:49 PM
starlia

No flame from me but I consider my beads and beads of others as small pieces
of art.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old September 1st 04, 06:34 PM
Dr. Sooz

No flame from me but I consider ........beads of others as small pieces
of art.

OMTP (I removed "my beads" because I don't make beads.)
~~
Sooz