Knitting Hats in the round WITHOUT dpns?

Old November 14th 05, 06:53 PM
mdemama

Default Knitting Hats in the round WITHOUT dpns?

Hi All,

I'm so excited because I just got a 16" size 8 Clover circular needle.
I went online to see about making a hat and I'm finding out that
most of them need dpns to finish off the smaller parts.
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any kind of hat that I can knit
on my circulars without using dpns since I don't have those yet.
I'm still new at knitting so hopefully the pattern isn't too complicated.

Thanks,
Bonnie

Old November 14th 05, 07:03 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

mdemama wrote:

Hi All,

I'm so excited because I just got a 16" size 8 Clover circular needle.
I went online to see about making a hat and I'm finding out that
most of them need dpns to finish off the smaller parts.
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any kind of hat that I can knit
on my circulars without using dpns since I don't have those yet.
I'm still new at knitting so hopefully the pattern isn't too complicated.

Thanks,
Bonnie

You can knit a tube to the desired length and then sew the one end in a
plus/cross (+) to make the top. I believe there is a name for this, but
it escapes me. I'm sure there are patterns online and others will post
them.
Wish I could be more help. Knitting hats is one of the few knitting
projects I'm good at. ;-)

/J
--
Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant

Old November 14th 05, 07:23 PM
suzee

mdemama wrote:
Hi All,

I'm so excited because I just got a 16" size 8 Clover circular needle.
I went online to see about making a hat and I'm finding out that
most of them need dpns to finish off the smaller parts.
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any kind of hat that I can knit
on my circulars without using dpns since I don't have those yet.
I'm still new at knitting so hopefully the pattern isn't too complicated.

Thanks,
Bonnie

You can use circs to knit just a few stitches around, but I think 16"
are too short.

sue
Old November 14th 05, 11:47 PM
Richard Eney

In article ,
mdemama wrote:
Hi All,

I'm so excited because I just got a 16" size 8 Clover circular needle.
I went online to see about making a hat and I'm finding out that
most of them need dpns to finish off the smaller parts.
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any kind of hat that I can knit
on my circulars without using dpns since I don't have those yet.
I'm still new at knitting so hopefully the pattern isn't too complicated.

Until you're well in practice, I'd say knit a tube and close the top
flat, then either put a pompom on each corner or sew the two corners
to the middle.

The easiest possible pattern: cast on enough stitches to go around
your head and knit back and forth for a couple of rows. This will
make a garter stitch band. Test to be sure it's the right size.
Then join without twisting; you can sew the little slit together
with the 'tail' of the yarn if you want to. Knit around and around
until it's long enough - try it on to check the length.

To decrease once the hat is smaller than the circular needles,
pull a small amount of the middle of the circular needle out between
two stitches and just keep knitting around. It's called the 'magic
loop' method. Once you get down to just a few stitches, either
bind them off together or sew/graft/kitchener them together.

There's another way, but it's a little trickier. Start in the middle
with as few stitches as you can manage with the magic loop, and
leave a tail of yarn about a foot long. Increase stitches - make one
at six places in the circle - every row at first, then every other row.
When it's big enough to go around your head, start knitting straight
without increasing. When it's long enough (allow for turning up an
edge if you want to do that) you can decide how to make the brim:
ribbing? Turn back and hem? seed stitch? just bind off very loosely
and let it curl? Do whatever you decide, and then go back and
flatten the middle and sew up the hole with that long tail.

Don't forget you can do stripes either randomly or planned.
If you want to, you can pick up some stitches at the side edges
and knit flat earflaps.

Have fun! Make lots of hats!

=Tamar
Old November 15th 05, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi,
You can also knit a tube-hat in the round. When the hat is long enough to
suit you, cast off, lay the tube flat, and sew it together across the top.
Add a pom pom or tassel on each corner. Makes a cute hat.
Brenda

Old November 16th 05, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

If you knit a tube , even on a circular you can either start with a
narrower tuve and increase stiches , or decrease some , and
collect/gather the narrower side with a thread and pompom,,,,
Years ago the Ariadne , had a pattern for a Pony tail hat , that was a
tube , with a row of holes on the upper side , you wore it over your
head , pulled your pony tail out of the hat and closed it around the
pony tail ,, was rather cute ,, i think it was in the 60s.
You might of course knit the very neat hat from the book "Module Magic
" which is knitted like a trapez.
In the round hats can also be knitted with short rows ,,,, Gee haven`t
done this in ages .....
Measure you head from ear to ear ,,, than the circumference ... Divide
Ear to ear into 2 ,,, that is the height of your hat , now guague and
cast on 1/3 of needed stiches for your hat height ... knit all the
time all the hat ,,,, knit the short [1/3 ] to and back now cast on
another 1/3 ,, insert mark between the 2 groups ,, knit to and back
the 2/3 , knit to and the now cast on the last 1/3 [inser mark ] knit
to and back , now knit [always to and back] , 2/3 , the 1/3 , the
2/3 the 3/3 i hope you get the idea ,, the long row is knited only
once , the 2/3 are knitted 3 times [ once as part of the whole twice
on both sides of it as the 2/3 ] the first 1/3 is knitted 5 times only
in the first group/triangle , since we knit 1/3 than it is knitted as
part of 2/3 , 3/3 , 2/3 , and part again of the next 1/3 ,,, now go on
knitting ,* 2/3 , 3/3 , 2/3 , 1/3 etc..... until the longer side
measure enough for your head`s circumference ,,,,, try it once it only
reads complicated .... try it first as a drawn line with a pencil ,,
When you have all your length ,, cast of and sew casting on stiches to
cast of , threads the narrow side stiches together ,,
mirjam

Old November 17th 05, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Thank you for all the ideas

Thanks to everyone who answered my question.
I'll have to sit and figure yours out though, Mirjam. smile
I'm going to have fun experimenting and, as I tell
my daughter I'll have to "practice, practice, practice".

Bonnie

Old November 18th 05, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Bonnie , i hope to be of help to all ,,, i really like it ,, thus if
anything bugs you just SHOUT ,,,,,
Practice is fun ,,, yesterday went to dentist and took a new wool i
bought [ shame on me just Couldn`t leave that Beautiful possible shirt
for me saty in the shop ,,, and she gave it in 2/3 of the price ,,]
But i wasn`t sure about needle sized thus i took some [dp since they
are shorte] needles and swatched happily , while waiting ,and
crocheted as well ,,, 3 surprised faces looked at my doing,, at last
one elder lady asked ,, ;Don`t you know how to knit that you only knit
severl rows with diferent colored needles ??? i said i am swatching ?
, "why ?" says lady "the Magazine will tell you exactly what to do ???
, or maybe you can`t read ?" ....practice , practice ,,, patience for
all those questions ,,,,,,
Ps the color i bought is very light green, blue , something peaceful
that will match some of my skirts, the colored ones as well as some of
my monochromo ones,,,, i just like it ,,, the manufactureer says 3.5
mm , but i found 4.5 and maybe even 5 works for me , it is soft and
lovely , now to think up some pattern ,, i have a wavy feeling in my
head ,, want it but it will takes ages to knit ,, thus maybe a not so
wavy pattern and on the side ,,,,, ,,,nice leafing in pattern books
,,, Jummy ,
Thus Bonnie have fun and practice ,,,,
mirjam

Old November 18th 05, 11:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

oh well done you, there are lots of hats to be made on circs, so no doubt
you'll have fun and lots of pointers from the others on the group. You don't
need to have dpns for a hat why have the bother of changing needles when you
can just sit and knit continuously.

I have just started doing one that is a little wider by four stitches than
normal, then I'm doing it twice as long, changing colours at the halfway
mark, this can then be used as a reversable hat, and double the layered
means double the warmth.

Used to use the same method on a knitting machine, so it is just a little
step to do it on circulars.