Wedding quilt - Help me decide!

Old October 13th 05, 06:18 PM
D Curtis

You know, Polly, chocolate and pink, with a dash of creamy white, will
never go out of style. Why, you ask? (and I can hear you scratching your
head over this one) Who cant find something to love in a container of
Neopolitan ice cream?
Diana

Polly Esther wrote:
If there's a trendy that somebody ought to go stomp on and put out of its
misery, it's the grim, depressing dull gray and insipid beige that the
magazines are pushing lately. That's even worse than the avocado green plus
orange of the 60s. Chocolate and pink have always been good. Not a trend,
just a fact. IMHOWEWT? (In my humble opinion, whenever was that?) Polly

Old October 13th 05, 07:42 PM
Bookbug

Hi Carol,

For the "your pick" group, I've been kind of stuck on the Broken Band
pattern. Gives a 3-D look, but the block goes together quickly. I can
stitch one together in under 30 minutes, and I'm not particularly fast.
Anyway, I bet the block would look awesome repeated throughout a
quilt.

Oh, and I bet the "your pick" gals would love to make your blocks if
you decide on a sampler. :-) Of course, we'll enjoy whatever fabric
you send our way.

Michelle

Old October 14th 05, 02:29 AM
Debra

Great Idea! I would never have thought of it myself but oh, what a
nice touch that would be.

Debra in VA

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:09:04 -0500, Julia in MN wrote:

Write a letter to give with the quilt, explaining why you chose the
colors and pattern that you did, especially if you are selecting them
based on the times you spent together.

Julia in MN

Debra wrote:
Think of the things that remind you of her, then pick colors that
reflect those things. If you remember playing a lot of board games,
use some of the colors found on the game boards. Add some white if
you changed her diapers, add the color of her favorite ice cream
flavor, and a little of her favorite color from when she was young.
Add green if you spent a lot of time outdoors. Have fun with it. You
want to make the quilt because of your memories of the time spent
together, so why not tie the memories together in the quilt. You
can't get any more personal than a quilt made of memories.

Old October 14th 05, 04:29 AM
Polly Esther

When DH puts Napolian ice cream on the grocery list, we don't say a word.
We just smile and buy it. Yes, Diana, you are so right. Polly
"D Curtis" wrote You know, Polly, chocolate and pink, with a dash of creamy

Old October 14th 05, 10:24 PM
Julia Altshuler

I recommend asking her what colors she'd like her quilt to be. I give
the recipient a fair amount of leeway and choices by asking if they want
brights or pastels or a single color with white appeals (like navy blue,
true blue, light blue and white) or anything else. I tell them that
I'm even open to being handed an old shirt or paint chips or a page from
a magazine, anything that gives me an idea of what colors they like. I
do this because I get a kick out of the challenge of working with colors
I didn't previously think I liked.

Then, depending on what colors they say they like, I choose a pattern.
If they say they like red, pink and white, I might make a jewel box
because that gives me the chance to use lots of different reds on a
white background. In fact, jewel box is a nice choice because a
beginner can do it (squares and half square triangles), but it looks
very classy.

http://www.piecesbewithyou.com/patterns_jb_detail.htm

--Lia

Old October 15th 05, 05:00 AM
extremevalues

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I didn't realize that there
were so many wedding theme pieced blocks.

This group is so helpful!

Carol in TX
Need Therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 15th 05, 05:04 AM
extremevalues

I love your suggestions about stitching many many memories into the
quilt. That is lovely! I will definately use that when I am making
wedding quilts for my kids!

Carol in TX
Need Therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 15th 05, 05:10 AM
extremevalues

The only problem with asking is that I don't want her to know anything
about it ahead of time. I will probably try to give it to her at a
shower (if I can make it to one) to see her open it.

I really could make her what she wants if I ask though........ That is
something I hadn't even considered. I may have to think about that for
a while.

Carol in TX
Need therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 15th 05, 08:05 AM
Patti

Could you ask her 'Do you like the colours...?' in one of your already
made quilts? You could say you are now not sure whether they go, and so
on? Put on your most puzzled face! Then she wouldn't know what you
were planning; but, if you were lucky, you might get a few clues. You
might not, of course; but may be worth a try.
..
In message . com,
extremevalues writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 15th 05, 01:39 PM
Pat in Virginia

Hello Carol
I just thought of this. Take into consideration what holidays the
couple celebrates and use those colors for a quilt. Christmas? Do
a green and white Ohio Star quilt. Hanukkah? Blue and white
Lemoyne Star. Etc. Etc. None? Do a seasonal color way, such as
Autumn gold and rust. Then, if the colors are not 'just right'
for year round use, the couple will have a nice start on
holiday/seasonal decoration. HTH.
As far as using the 'wedding colors', I just don't see any
connection to decorating one's home. In my case, I had my Maid of
Honor (Kid Sister) wear an Azalea Pink dress because it was a
pretty dress and looked fantastic on her! I did not then go and
decorate our first home in Azalea Pink.

PAT in VA/USA

extremevalues wrote:
My 1st cousin is getting married next October.
2. What colors should I use and why?
A) Totally scrappy
B) Her home dec colors
C) Her wedding colors - Chocolate brown and pink
D) What I like

3. What size should I make?

Carol in TX
Need Therapy? Make a quilt!