Store closing in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Old October 11th 05, 04:58 PM
Susan Laity Price

Default Store closing in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Sunday evening my husband realized that he had the day off on Monday.
Since Monday was to be a bright sunny day he suggested we drive north
to see some fall color. I immediately suggested Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
since it had pretty scenery and three quilt shops.

The fall leaves had not really started to turn yet but the shopping
was great. J. J. Stitches in always my favorite store because they
specialize in reproduction quilts. I bought a little shirting but lots
of wool for wool applique. The best find was a wool applique kit which
used raw silk for the background. The textures mixed well and the silk
lightened the feel of the piece. All wool says "dark winter days" to
me.

The second quilt store in the downtown area is small but carries
embroidery floss so I was able to match my wool. I gave away my floss
collection when I realized I never cross stitched anymore. I decided
it was easier to purchase floss as I needed it for this type of
project rather than try to remember if I still had that particular
color.

After sandwiches and chocolate at Confection Connection we headed to
Itchin to Stitch. The sign on the front door said everything is 25%
off. Inside I over heard the owner explain that she wanted to retire
and spend more time with her 92 year old mother and 96 year old aunt.
This store carries a wide variety of fabrics. They never had many
finished samples which is one of the main reasons I like to visit
shops while traveling but had lots of fabrics. I purchased a book I
had been planning to buy, some novelties and a roll of 50 different
wool fat eighths. Guess I will be doing a lot of wool embroidery this
winter. The prices will go down over the next few months. I didn't get
a schedule. If you plan to visit that area you might want to call
ahead, find the markdown schedule and plan your trip accordingly. With
the price of gas I don't think I can justify a 350 mile round trip
just to save money on fabric I really shouldn't buy anyway.

We drove most of the way home on county roads instead of the
interstate. It was a very relaxing day. Stopped in Beloit for dinner
and took I-90 home from there. Driving with all of those trucks in the
interstate reminded us what a pleasant day it had been driving in the
country. Chicago is a nice place to live but it is nice to get away to
a slower pace of life once in a while.

Susan

Old October 11th 05, 07:28 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Susan, you clever quilter, you:
Leaf peeping and quilt shops: you go, girl! g

Thanks for the heads up on the shop closing discounts.
It's never too far away to save money.

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy

Old October 12th 05, 12:28 PM
Nann Hilyard

Susan, sounds like a nice road trip. "Escape to Wisconsin" used to be the
state tourism slogan.

When we got together earlier in the year we spent some time over lunch
speculating about the quilt craze: what is yet to come along? Will there be
a shake-out of interest? (Compare to knitting, which was in the doldrums
for years and is now so popular.)

I wonder what the average lifespan of a quilt shop is. Is it comparable to
that of any small business? Or might quilt shops be different? Maybe
there's a time frame--say, 5 years--if a shop makes it that far then it's
likely to go on for another x years? Surely some industry economist/small
business analyst has figured this out.

Nann
north of Susan by about 50 miles

Old October 12th 05, 04:09 PM
Kate G.

Guess next time... in order to get in at least 3 shops... you'll need to go
about 20-30 minutes further... toward the Dells (actually Reedsburg). A
shop there is a MUST SEE!!

Quintessential Quilts

940 E Main St

Reedsburg, WI 53959-1737

Phone: (608) 524-8435

http://www.qquilts.com/

This old house has thousands and thousands of bolts of fabric... by far the
largest shop in variety I have ever seen! One room (it's an old farmhouse)
is nothing but holiday fabrics.... they have it all. Many rooms are by the
color... with two bolts high completely around the perimeter of the room...
and at least one or two shelves two bolts high through the center.

Well worth the trip! I used to stop at Itchin to Stitch whenever I was in
Madison visiting my DS's... who went to UW there. Fortuately they have
graduated... and I haven't been back to Madison for over a year and a half.
:-(

Take care...

Kate in MI (used to be in Twin Cities, MN)