Need date help

Old October 10th 05, 09:54 PM
Liz A.

Default Need date help

I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with some date history.
About 7 years ago I told my cousin I would finish a quilt that his
mother had started (she had passed away from breast cancer.) It was a
cross stitch kit with the cross stitch and quiliting design pre-stamped
on the top fabric. My aunt had completed the cross stitch and about 1/4
of the hand quilting. Shortly after the quilt was sent to me to finish,
health issues got in the way. Long story short, I've FINALLY finished
it and want to put a label documenting the quilt history before I send
it back to the granddaughter my aunt never got to meet.

Hopefully SOMEBODY out there might remember when these kits were
popular. I'm guessing around 1970. Her 3 sons aren't much help here.

The pictures are on my Webshots site, under "Cross Stitch Quilt."
http://community.webshots.com/user/dittosneak

Much thanks for your help.

LizA
Kent, WA

Old October 10th 05, 11:04 PM
Marlys in Indiana

I would have no idea about the date, but I have seen such quilt blocks at
a website (they also have a catalog) called Herschners (sp). Those blocks
are still available, but I don't know if you might contact them to see if
they
would have any idea the age of those particular blocks.
Only a weak thought on my part.
Marlys in Indiana

ups.com...

Old October 10th 05, 11:19 PM
Debbi

I would put that it was started in such and such a year by such and such
a person. Completed 10/10/05 by you that way it shows both the
grandmother started it and you finished it.

Debbi in SO CA

Old October 10th 05, 11:30 PM
Sandy Foster

In article . com,
"Liz A." wrote:

[...]

Wow! That's beautiful, Liz! I can't help with the dating, sorry to say,
but I had to tell you what a nice thing you've done in finishing the
quilt for your aunt.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 10th 05, 11:49 PM
Liz A.

I did write to Herrschners and sent them a picture. Their website says
that they have been around for 103 years and I remember them as the
main company for kits like that back in the 60's & 70's.

As for the quilt, Jessie's husband, is my great uncle Sam. He's my
grandfather's youngest brother. After my grandmother died, Jessie
finished a crewel piece that she had started and sent it to me. So,
when her son's wife asked me if I would finish the quilt for the little
girl that they adopted a year after Jessie died, I agreed.
Unfortunately, shortly after I started working on it I developed Lupus.
The following year I broke my shoulder. I pulled it out this year and
have diligently been working on it. The quilting design was ENDLESS.
Everytime I thought I was close to finishing, I'd find a whole new
section that needed to be done. Add to that, the quilt had not been
stored properly and one part of the stamped quilting pattern was faded
out so I had to re-create that from the completed portions.

One of her other sons just e-mailed me her wedding picture which I am
including on the label along with her name and mine and the name of the
granddaughter the quilt is for. I'm just glad that it's finally
completed and am anxious to get the label completed and send the quilt
off.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

LizA.
Kent, WA

Old October 11th 05, 12:01 AM
Nann Hilyard

Hi, Liz --

I made my first quilt from a stamped cross-stitch kit. It was 1973-74, the
year I was in library school. I embroidered first semester and quilted
second semester. (I still use both the quilt and the degree.)

My mother made a stamped cross-stitch quilt for my sister approximately
1965. So, that narrows it down to a decade!

I happen to have two Bucilla quilt kits -- never-started objects that I
bought at estate sales. They are #1154, Royal Heritage (cross-stitch) and
#8259, Fantasy Tree (applique--and from the photo, definitely 70's--kind of
Jean Ray Laury-ish). There are no copyright dates on the instructions or
the package. I compared #1154 to your photo -- not the same. However, the
catalog number is stamped on the edge of the quilt--had that already been
cut away when you got it?

I think it would be neat if you found out the name of the pattern and the
year it was first produced. If yours is by Bucilla, as I suspect, here is
more info: http://www.plaidonline.com/apBucilla.asp

HTH,

Nann
in northeasternmost Illinois
who is pleased to have been able to lay her hands on those two Bucilla
kits--the applique one has a sales label from Thalheimer's, orig price
$17.00, marked down to $12.99 (wasn't Thalheimer's in North Carolina?)

ups.com...

Old October 11th 05, 12:41 AM
Liz A.

Thanks for the help Nann. I have just sent Bucilla an e-mail also. I'm
glad to hear I had the decade correct.

LizA.
Kent, WA

Old October 11th 05, 02:32 AM
Polly Esther

How this thread does warm my heart. Wonderful project, Liz and the
suggestions were so kind and thoughtful. All of you do me proud. Polly

oups.com...

Old October 11th 05, 02:58 AM
Mary in Washington

Liz, Can't help you with the dating but I had to write and say that is
really a beauty and you should be so proud of your part in it. It
brings back memories of my Mother and Grandmother doing hand work. I
am in awe.

Mary

IN THE COOKIES OF LIFE, FRIENDS ARE THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS.
http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa

Finding posts by date ? Rusty1215 Yarn 3 October 8th 04 01:58 PM
RCTY-ers, lets make us a 'date' (!!) Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 31 May 24th 04 05:39 AM
OT Date Bars, aka Matrimonial Cake Dawne Peterson Needlework 2 July 24th 03 11:46 AM