Chocolate gravy

Old September 30th 05, 09:04 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

Default Chocolate gravy

Southern Chocolate Gravy Recipe
Submitted by nccook on Mon, 2005-05-30 11:08.

Ingredients:

2 heaping tablespoons of cocoa
1 cup of sugar
3 tablespoons of flour
4 cups of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon of butter

Mix the cocoa, flour, and the sugar in a pot with a fork or whisk until
well blended. Add all of the other ingredients and bring to a boil,
stirring .constantly, over medium heat. Continue cooking until the
gravy is the desired thickness. Serve hot over cat head biscuits with
lots of butter.

Old September 30th 05, 09:26 PM
Toni Schneidt

What are cat head biscuits?
Toni

Old September 30th 05, 10:41 PM
monique

Okay, now you have to tell us about cat head biscuits. I DO hope that's
referring to size!

Monique in TX

Old October 1st 05, 12:48 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

Got all these recipes from Google; I've never made any of them.

"Cat-Head" Biscuits

click to enlarge
I love these buttery biscuits (named for their relatively large size).

Yields 12 biscuits; recipe doubles easily.

15-3/4 oz. (3-1/2 cups) soft southern wheat flour, such as White Lily,
or half (by weight) cake flour and half all-purpose flour; more as needed

1 Tbs. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

5 oz. (10 Tbs.) unsalted butter, cubed and chilled

1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature

Heat the oven to 450ºF. If you're measuring the flour by volume, do so
by spooning it into a measuring cup and leveling it off. Put the flour
into a large metal mixing bowl, add the baking powder and salt, and mix
well with a whisk. Cut in the butter with two knives or a pastry blender
until it's uniformly mixed in and there are no large lumps. Add 1-1/4
cups of the buttermilk, stirring with a rubber spatula until the mixture
is just blended and leaves the sides of the bowl. Don't overmix. Add
more buttermilk or flour only if necessary.

Dump the contents out onto a lightly floured surface. Place the fingers
of both hands down inside the flour bag to coat them. Using only your
fingers, lightly pat the dough together. With a floured rolling pin,
lightly even out the dough to 3/4 inch thick. Using a floured metal
2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter -- not an overturned glass, which will seal
the edges so they can't rise -- quickly punch out the biscuits. Don't
twist the cutter in the dough (which also seals the edges). Avoid
touching the dough with your hands. Gather any scraps, roll, and cut out
more biscuits. These won't rise as high, but they'll still be quite good.

Set the biscuits, close but not touching, on an ungreased baking sheet
and bake until they're lightly browned on top, 15 to 18 min. Serve at
once with the ham.

Old October 1st 05, 06:29 AM
NightMist

Yeppers, about the size of a medium small tabby cat's head.
A least that was the measure my gramma told me.

Catheads were one of the first things she taught me how to make when
she realized that my mom can't cook "poo" with a recipe.
I think the second thing was logger gravy.
She always said that if you know how to make those two things you will
never starve. I have been told that the two together is called poor
do. That makes sense all considered.

NightMist

--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old October 2nd 05, 03:02 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

My Granny Pete said if the biscuit recipe used butter instead of lard that
they were "Yankee Biscuits". She always said it in a half whisper like
she was whispering a dirty word. It was kinda confusing because for a good
Southern Baptist she could swear better'n most men. ... and she always put
butter on them after they were cooked??? LOL!! I like biscuits made with
butter for Strawberry Shortcake. That sounds good - think I will make some
SS for supper tonight. I just downloaded her picture in my family album.
One of the few I have - it was taken on my wedding day in 1964.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old October 2nd 05, 05:26 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

Just saw your family's photos from long ago and how I envy you. I can
have my gr gr grandmother's diary written in 1863). How nice of you to
put them where other, perhaps more distant, relatives can find them.

Old October 3rd 05, 04:25 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

My Aunt Elsa - a retired teacher from Bakersfield, CA - helped gather the
information and pictures. She is doing a formal family tree and has had
good luck with maternal side of the family but not the paternal side.
Apparently there wasn't a great deal of trust when it came to census takers.
Most of my relatives made moonshine and shot at government people - one and
all. My Aunt and I laugh about that - we both could be considered
"government people." LOL!! My mothers father was full blood Chickasaw so
there is no records or pictures there. I'm running into the same problem on
my father's side of the family. His family comes from the Arkansas Cherokee
band that came prior to the Trail of Tears forced death march and there are
little or no records of them.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Phyllis Nilsson" wrote in message
Just saw your family's photos from long ago and how I envy you. I can go
back to 1688, but have no photos earlier than 1920 (although I do have my

Old October 3rd 05, 07:31 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

I've run across the Dawes listings for Native Americans, but couldn't
make sense of it. I started my search at the LDS site and had I not had
any success (I did encounter some errors) I'd probably have stopped. My
gg grandmother's diary is being put on the Internet via the Bay Journal
in Bay City, Michigan, and a gentleman who is a professor in Utah saw
it. His family's records included by gg grandmother's family and he
sent me the information for three more generations. Now if I could just
find out why my gg grandfather's family don't know anything about him . . .

Old October 4th 05, 11:23 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I was an adult and my Granny Pete was dead when I learned that my mother's
biological father wasn't her legal father. My Granny Pete was pregnant with
another mans baby when she married my Granddaddy Pete. My mother's bio-dad
was one Wallace Beck, a full blood Chickasaw. He was 54 and my granny was
18 at the time of conception. My grandparents married in March, 1927 and my
mother was born 6/2/1927. OOPS!!! The family story goes that Granny told
Granddaddy to go and get her mother because she was having a gall bladder
attack. Imagine my grandfathers shock when he came in from the field to
find a black hair, black eyed, olive skinned little girl. Granddaddy had
virtually no formal education (I taught him to sign his own name on his
checks when I was 13) but he knew enough about biology to know it takes 9
months to make a baby. Supposedly, he told Granny "Nola - that is my child
and we will never speak of this again." Some nosey relatives made it their
business to inform my mother of her ancestry. My mother was ridiculed as a
half breed all her life and was ashamed of her ancestory as a result. It
was like pulling hens teeth to get it out of her when I went to college. I
knew we were Indian because I attended Indian schools as a child in Bell, OK
(Tahlequah, OK is the Cherokee Tribal Headquarters). I have a copy of her
corrected birth certificate with her bio father's name on it and her
rightful maiden name. Apparently, no one ever registered her birth and she
didn't get one until she was ready to retire and needed it for Social
Security. Her birth certificate of record is based on sworn affadavits from
her maternal aunts who were present at her birth. Ain't life and family
history a hoot?

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"