What are you working on?

Old September 21st 05, 04:20 AM
maryd

I like your mom's quilt

--
Mary

"Teacher Gal" wrote in message
: Psh. stupid me. Forgot the link.
:
: http://community.webshots.com/user/tasialue
:
: I'm such a ditz.
:
: : I've got a webshots page started. Only have the image I want to use as
: the
: : applique quilt and two pics of my mother's tulip quilt on there, but
hey,
: : it's a start!
: :
: : Anastasia
: :
: :
:
:

Old September 21st 05, 05:15 AM
Irrational Number

I just finished a quilted Disney Princesses
pillowcase for a neighbour's daughter and am
now back to the Katrina quilt.

-- Anita --
Old September 21st 05, 05:28 AM
Teacher Gal

maryd ever so kindly wrote:
:I like your mom's quilt
:

Thanks. She adores the thing, but I've been looking at it for over a year,
and every time I go to work on it, I get serious back and neck pain from
wrasslin' it through the machine. Yes, I know my machine is REALLY high for
the whole ergonomics thing, but I can't lower it until I get enough money to
do so. I can't bear to hack off the legs of the old Singer cabinet it's
resting on.

Thanks, though, for commenting.

Anastasia

Old September 21st 05, 06:00 AM
Idahoqltr

I'm machine quilting my DSIL's quilt for Oct. 6th birthday. I'm
leaving town Thurs. morning for a week and the will be gone Oct. 1 & 2
as well, but it is almost finished. I plan to take boxer pattern &
fabric to put together in CA. The fabric is "fried chickens" sunning
on beach towels. I also need to finish my Halloween WH, mq borders and
add binding.

Old September 21st 05, 06:11 AM
Debbi

I am working on a CA KING quilt for my mother's 80th birthday. Her
birthday is at the end of January, but we might be celebrating over
winter break so that my daughter and niece will be home from school at
that time-- siblings leaving me in the dark since I am the family
mushroom--- they leave me in the dark and feed me you know what. I make
18 blocks of embroidered Hummels and now am working on the layout. When
I finish Mom's quilt, I have to make a queen quilt for my nephew and his
finacee for their wedding in July. Should keep me busy for quite a while

Debbi in SO CA

frood wrote:
I am currently between projects. Ok, not exactly "between" as in, "finished
that one, what's next" but, at a point where I can safely start a new
project and still get the others done and keep some semblance of sanity. (no
laughing from the peanut gallery, please)

I haven't yet decided what's next, tho. I joined my guild's President's
Challenge - she had us write down (in pen and everything) a quilt that we
had always wanted to make, that we would actually work towards completing in
this next guild year (Sep. to June). I wrote down that I am going to make a
quilt for *my* bed, using a Cobblestones block and batik fabrics.

Or, I could work on one of the Christmas fabrics quilts I have planned (and
partially cut) - log cabins, and cobblestones.

Or, there was a super simple, graphically striking quilt hanging in a quilt
shop that I thought would look stunning in African fabrics.

Or, the quilt featured on my calendar last month was really cool. I may try
to make a variation of that one, in either a seafaring theme, or a Christmas
one. I bet that piques your interest - what quilt could possibly be done in
either pirates or Christmas, you ask? Bwahahaaha! You will have to wait and
see!

So, what are you working on/thinking of working on/dreaming about?

Old September 21st 05, 09:59 AM
Kate Dicey

frood wrote:

I am currently between projects. Ok, not exactly "between" as in, "finished
that one, what's next" but, at a point where I can safely start a new
project and still get the others done and keep some semblance of sanity. (no
laughing from the peanut gallery, please)

Hehehe! I gave up on sanity years ago!

I have several tops that need quilting and some blocks to catch up on,
and I'm making some nice trousers at the moment... And trying to work
out what to pack next and where!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 21st 05, 11:11 AM
Georg

frood wrote:

So, what are you working on/thinking of working on/dreaming about?

The ATC swap and a lot of calligraphy. Have done a few more blocks of
Dear Jane. And I really need to make quilts or something out of all of
my swapped blocks.

-georg
Old September 21st 05, 11:21 AM
Marijke

Good question since I've just finished one.

I am making another greyhound fundraising t-shirt quilt - I will try and
get the sashing fabric this week.

I also began putting together a pretty blue and white quilt from the
Australian quilting magazine - I fell in love with it.

Each of my kids has three quilts, but now dd wants me to make her
another, which means I'll make another eventually for each son... and
she's asked me if I'd knit her a sweater. so.... that's it in a nutshell.

Marijke
in Fall-like Montreal

Old September 21st 05, 11:29 AM
Patti

Tip for when you are afraid to start:
try a small piece of it with fabric that doesn't matter. Take one
corner, say, and draw it out as the 'proper one will be. Then making
sure you use all the techniques you will be using in the final piece,
just go for it. You will be able to do it without fear, because it is
small and you are not using any special fabrics or embellishments.
You will still be apprehensive when you come to start the final piece,
but it won't be nearly as bad. And the apprehension lessens once you
have started. BTDT g
I often do difficult pieces in sections. Any one of these could be
re-done if absolutely necessary. So, nothing is irrevocable until it is
sandwiched and the quilting is underway (I would not want to have to
undo quilting - though it can be done).
..
In message , Teacher Gal
writes

"frood" spake forth with the following utterance
: So, what are you working on/thinking of working on/dreaming about?
:

Well, seeing as how I'm currently unemployed and don't appear to be able to
find anything in my area of expertise, I'm getting a bit more done nowadays.
I adore knitting, so I just finished my Wool Peddler's Shawl in a really
pretty silver-gray yarn, so I need to block it. I started another shawl,
too, last night. It's going to be a scottish-like thing, and it's probably
not going to turn out right, so oh well. Now that my knitter's elbow has
returned, though, it looks like I need to get to the sewing again!

I SHOULD finish my mother's tulip quilt, but I'm so sick to death of the
thing, and it's mega king size (120 x 110 or something), and I'm machine
quilting it, and I'm not very good. Thus the "should." I just can't bring
myself to actually do it.

I have around four blocks finished for the quilt I want to use on my own
bed, but it's mostly white, and we are now living with far too many animals
for me to feel comfy pulling white fabric out and working on it. Just too
nervous.

I have a nice lap-sized applique quilt-thingie I'd love to start on, but I'm
nervous to. I'm adapting a picture as the whole design, and it'll involve
fusibles, and batiks, and embellishments, none of which I've ever done
before. Any hints to help me get over the hump of "I don't know if I can do
this...."? Would posting a picture of the image I'm contemplating help?

Anastasia

---who really wants to get started on the piece, but is terrified she'll
screw it up.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 21st 05, 11:35 AM
Patti

Oh Wow, that's fabulous. No wonder you want to do it.
Practising a corner wouldn't be much good!!
So, take a piece from the centre (where the dress changes fabrics).
You could probably do it systematically in sections, Joining them up
after they are finished. I would leave the head until you have got a
bit more practice and confidence! It is certainly a wonderful image.
Congratulations on having the desire to do it. It will be a fantastic
finished piece of work. I hope you have somewhere 'just right' to
display it.
..
In message , Teacher Gal
writes