What are you working on?

Old September 21st 05, 01:09 AM
frood

Default What are you working on?

I am currently between projects. Ok, not exactly "between" as in, "finished
that one, what's next" but, at a point where I can safely start a new
project and still get the others done and keep some semblance of sanity. (no
laughing from the peanut gallery, please)

I haven't yet decided what's next, tho. I joined my guild's President's
Challenge - she had us write down (in pen and everything) a quilt that we
had always wanted to make, that we would actually work towards completing in
this next guild year (Sep. to June). I wrote down that I am going to make a
quilt for *my* bed, using a Cobblestones block and batik fabrics.

Or, I could work on one of the Christmas fabrics quilts I have planned (and
partially cut) - log cabins, and cobblestones.

Or, there was a super simple, graphically striking quilt hanging in a quilt
shop that I thought would look stunning in African fabrics.

Or, the quilt featured on my calendar last month was really cool. I may try
to make a variation of that one, in either a seafaring theme, or a Christmas
one. I bet that piques your interest - what quilt could possibly be done in
either pirates or Christmas, you ask? Bwahahaaha! You will have to wait and
see!

So, what are you working on/thinking of working on/dreaming about?

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old September 21st 05, 01:30 AM
Teacher Gal

"frood" spake forth with the following utterance
: So, what are you working on/thinking of working on/dreaming about?
:

Well, seeing as how I'm currently unemployed and don't appear to be able to
find anything in my area of expertise, I'm getting a bit more done nowadays.
I adore knitting, so I just finished my Wool Peddler's Shawl in a really
pretty silver-gray yarn, so I need to block it. I started another shawl,
too, last night. It's going to be a scottish-like thing, and it's probably
not going to turn out right, so oh well. Now that my knitter's elbow has
returned, though, it looks like I need to get to the sewing again!

I SHOULD finish my mother's tulip quilt, but I'm so sick to death of the
thing, and it's mega king size (120 x 110 or something), and I'm machine
quilting it, and I'm not very good. Thus the "should." I just can't bring
myself to actually do it.

I have around four blocks finished for the quilt I want to use on my own
bed, but it's mostly white, and we are now living with far too many animals
for me to feel comfy pulling white fabric out and working on it. Just too
nervous.

I have a nice lap-sized applique quilt-thingie I'd love to start on, but I'm
nervous to. I'm adapting a picture as the whole design, and it'll involve
fusibles, and batiks, and embellishments, none of which I've ever done
before. Any hints to help me get over the hump of "I don't know if I can do
this...."? Would posting a picture of the image I'm contemplating help?

Anastasia

---who really wants to get started on the piece, but is terrified she'll
screw it up.

Old September 21st 05, 01:32 AM
Jenn/Jalynne

Today....I worked on getting DD's twin size Winnie the Pooh (WTP) quilt 1/3
machine quilted, and then I hand sewed a hanging sleeve on the pink ribbon
wallhanging I made a couple weeks ago. The WUH is for a local auction to
support breast cancer research. I should actually be able to get the
quilting done on the WTP quilt tomorrow, which is good, considering she was
supposed to get it in the beginning of May for her birthday...OOPS!

--
Jenn/Jalynne
quilting, beads, scrapbooking, cross stitch and other 'crafti' obsessions

om...

Old September 21st 05, 01:34 AM
Betty in Wi

I am machine quilting a lap quilt (I'm not a machine quilter!). But I am
trying. Have 5 of the 15 blocks done...then have to do the solid blocks.

Also a Dear Jane in progress----18 more blocks to do. I have 2 of the
triangles done.

A queen size bed quilt that I have been hand quilting for 8-10
years.........would like to finish that this winter.

A child's panel crib quilt that I am machine quilting as a Comfort Quilt for
our guild. And I have a top done for a Lynus Quilt.

And that just scratches the surface!!!

Betty (buried in fabric in WI)

om...

Old September 21st 05, 01:42 AM
frood

It's not rocket surgery - no one dies if you mess up. A wonky, pointless,
ugly quilt still keeps somebody warm. If all else fails, give it to the dog.
Need more help? G

Old September 21st 05, 01:49 AM
frood

Ah, what a way to go!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

"Betty in Wi" wrote in message

Betty (buried in fabric in WI)

Old September 21st 05, 01:49 AM
marbles_2

Well, now that we're done with being pirates I don't have near the
energy I had yesterday, when I machine quilted about 10 blocks on my
daughter's full size V-Dub quilt. I only have two left and the border,
and the binding and she'll have a nice cuddly and colorful quilt to
replace a comforter that was stolen (with her car and electronics) from
her house. It's so hard for me to finish things because I always want
to start some other new thing. This is good discipline for my brain, I
guess.
Next I want to make something for my other nephew who got married a
year ago or so and I neglected the gift. (Just finished a wall hanging
for his brother, who got married a few weeks back.) They like 1950s
graphics and I'm excited to go looking for ideas.

I decided to try a challenge quilt presented by a local quilt guild I'm
joining, and have ideas rattling around in my head. It involves a log
cabin block but no where did it say in the rules the whole thing had to
be log cabin blocks so I'm having a concept of making an
applique/pieced cabin with the log cabin block as a window and put it
all over a pink sunset kind of thing with big trees. Like I
said....concept rattling.

My tea party tablecloth quilt that I entered in a mystery fabric
contest and placed third (they told me I got second place and then
"reviewed the points" and another gal was suddenly in second
place....thinking she was grumbling but it's okay) is ready to finish
but need the right fabric for the border.

And a block that I've had in my sewing junk for nearly 30 years needs
to be made into a wall hanging for the local community services office.
I thought the person who made it (for a community quilt and we didn't
use it and I remember getting yelled at so kept it for some reason....)
had passed away years ago but then her obituary was in the paper last
week!!!! So I guess I have a mandate to really do something to remember
her and get it done!! (That was a creepy moment when I found the obit
in the paper.)

And then there is Christmas...............

Annie

Old September 21st 05, 02:02 AM
Diana Curtis

Send up smoke signals if you need help!
Diana, currently working on a dahlia quilt and a nine patch and
snowballs in blues and orange for a boy who lost everything to Katrina.

Betty (buried in fabric in WI)

Old September 21st 05, 02:17 AM
maryd

Sounds like you have some wonderful things in the works. Would love to see
some pictures.

--
Mary

"Teacher Gal" wrote in message
:
: "frood" spake forth with the following utterance
: : So, what are you working on/thinking of working on/dreaming about?
: :
:

Old September 21st 05, 02:25 AM
maryd

This afternoon I made 5 hug/swap blocks and got them ready to mail. I hope
that I can make up the Sept RCTQ BOM block this evening. I also packed up
fabric and tools to take to my daughter's next month. Think I need to make
a special bag/tote for my cutting mat and rulers. BTW.... a tip for
transporting rotary cutter. Mine fits perfectly in a soft sided eyeglass
case. Oh, anyone have a free pattern or idea for a Halloween throw quilt?
I'm taking both Halloween and Thanksgiving fabrics with me.

--
Mary

: "frood" wrote in message
: om...
[...]