Difference btw Spilt stitch and Chain stitch?

Old September 15th 05, 03:34 PM
silverbells

Default Difference btw Spilt stitch and Chain stitch?

I will be doing some embroidery on a snood. I know that the method is
different between the split stitch and the chain stitch but is there a
noticeable difference in the result? The methods are described here-
http://medieval.webcon.net.au/technique_stitches.html

I don't want to use a stem stitch because I would have a hard time
keeping it straight with my skills.

TIA,

Julie
Richmond, VA
Old September 15th 05, 05:19 PM
Ericka Kammerer

silverbells wrote:
I will be doing some embroidery on a snood. I know that the method is
different between the split stitch and the chain stitch but is there a
noticeable difference in the result? The methods are described here-
http://medieval.webcon.net.au/technique_stitches.html

I don't want to use a stem stitch because I would have a hard time
keeping it straight with my skills.

In general, appearances can vary significantly
depending on the exact materials and the stitcher, so you
should take a scrap piece of fabric and test it out.
However, in my experience, chain stitch and split stitch
don't look very much alike. Chain stitch looks like a
series of linked ovals, and split stitch looks like a
straight line.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 15th 05, 06:36 PM
anne

silverbells said
I will be doing some embroidery on a snood. I know that the method is
different between the split stitch and the chain stitch but is there a
noticeable difference in the result? The methods are described here-
http://medieval.webcon.net.au/technique_stitches.html

Neat site but I can see from the diagrams why you might think the two stitches
will result in a similar look. Think of split stitches as a series of straight
stitches with each new stitch coming up from the back of the fabric into the
threads that are already on the top of the fabric. The thickness of the line is
dependent on the thread/fiber used. Chain stitches are a series of continuous
loops; the thickness of a line of chain stitches is dependent not only the
threads used but also on how loose you leave your loop when beginning the next
one.

I don't want to use a stem stitch because I would have a hard time
keeping it straight with my skills.

Use a pen or thin point marker to draw the line or shape you want to stitch and
then as Ericka said, practise ;-)

Enquiring minds want to know "What are you making?"

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old September 15th 05, 08:28 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Depending upon the thickness of the thread you are using, split stitch
can be difficult to manage. It is normally reserved for thicker
threads, such as pearl 5 or crewel wool. It can be done on a single
strand of floss, but it's not usual, nor is it "easy".

As for keeping a straight line, you will have the same problem with any
stitch you choose, so see if Anne's directions in her post are helpful.

Other than that, Anne and Ericka said about all there is to say. :-)

Dianne

silverbells wrote:
I will be doing some embroidery on a snood. I know that the method is
different between the split stitch and the chain stitch but is there a
noticeable difference in the result? The methods are described here-
http://medieval.webcon.net.au/technique_stitches.html

I don't want to use a stem stitch because I would have a hard time
keeping it straight with my skills.

TIA,

Julie
Richmond, VA

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com