Still learning as I go...

Old April 8th 05, 12:09 AM
Tina

Default Still learning as I go...

and having SOOOOO much fun! I love this machine quilting!

And I just figured out a new trick, kinda silly, but...

I am on my last block and I was afraid I was going to run out of bobbin
thread. I didn't want to waste the thread that was left, and I didn't
want to run out mid block.... so what do I do?

I took what thread was there off - and wound it around an empty spool!
Duh, I can use those pieces when I hand quilt! What a brilliant idea,
sometimes I amaze myself. LOL (OK, so I'm not the first person to
figure this out....)

And I have a question.... for those wonderful people who warned me
about burning myself on the light on my Featherweight.... I've been so
lucky - haven't done it yet! ***Applause****

But I just wonder, I bet that light would burn your fabric if it sat
too close for too long ??? Has this ever happened to anyone? I am
finding, that when I take a break or something, I turn that sucker off
and give it a chance to cool off in between. Darn it is so HOT!

And I learned that machine quilting inside the blocks, isn't nearly as
difficult as I thought it was going to be. I thought you would have to
start and stop a whole lot - duh, if you follow the block around, you
can follow the pattern of the block and never stop! Amazing....

Anyway, I just had to share some of the new things I figured out all by
myself g and tell everyone how much fun this was! Now I am so
excited to get back to hand quilting the flowers and designs!

Tina, happily quilting in Houston

Old April 8th 05, 01:33 AM
Tina

Machine quilting is all done! Now to the handquilting, yipppeeeeee!

Tina

Old April 8th 05, 01:39 AM
Marcella Peek

Congratulations! It sounds like you are doing great.

For those little bits on the bobbin, I use that for sewing down the
binding.

marcella

Old April 8th 05, 01:51 AM
maryd

WTG..... I've spent the afternoon piecing star blocks for the swap

--
Mary
"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Machine quilting is all done! Now to the handquilting, yipppeeeeee!
:
: Tina
:

Old April 8th 05, 02:12 AM
Tina

Thanks! Mimi's birthday is April 26th - and with all the health
issues, since I didn't get the quilt done for Easter, I'm trying to
meet her birthday!

And I have to pick a different third material for my star swap.... so
I'm still pondering a bit there.

Will get back to working on those this weekend, will use them as a
break from handquilting! ;-)

Tina

Old April 8th 05, 02:13 AM
Tina

THANKS! This is a good idea too - will hang on to that one in the back
of my mind when I get to the binding!

Tina

Old April 8th 05, 04:26 AM
nzlstar

awww, Tina.
thanks ever so much for making me smile and forget for a few seconds what
i'm fretting about.
i love to hear these kind of experiences. just makes me feel good all over.
dont forget those pix when you finish, eh.
hugz,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Tina" wrote...

Old April 8th 05, 04:54 AM
Christina in Ok

yes it sure is fun!!!
I am new to quilting also.. ( going on 4 years)
gee group is it really that long?
I had a really bad couple of years here, so I haven't done anything for
almost 2 years.
but things are calming down here.. and I feel better about quilting once
again..

to date I have finished up a few odds and ends.. 10 Quilts 4-twins size the
1-king 5-queen
and I have one I just finished this week, and another in the works ( but
that one is a BOM which will take a year)

Anyhow I love to see the excitement in someone when they learn how to
quilt..
and your have to teach me to hand quilt LOL I don't know a thing about that
all of mine are on the machine..
and yes I do my own quilting also on my sewing machine..
I also felt the same way, how in the heck to stuff this big quilt in such a
small hole.. but it fits!! Always makes me wonder how it does..

on the bobbin, I just wish ANYONE would make, or come up with something, so
we wouldn't have to use bobbin's anymore, but use the cone... never would
run out of bottom bobbin thread until you ran out of top thread also.

I don't think I will ever get good at quilting.. but I am very good at
hiding opps!

oups.com...

Old April 8th 05, 05:27 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

hmmmmmmm - with chocolate - my favorite brand and favorite type, too. Love
that apron and I'm going to get it made up as soon as possible. Thank ya
precious - you're a real sweetie.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
oups.com...

Old April 8th 05, 05:48 AM
Polly Esther

Climbing in with Jeanne, thank you Tina. I was feeling grumpy and your
successes made me smile too. Thank you for sharing your happy times. Polly