linen napkin use?

Old October 17th 04, 04:16 AM
theys

Default linen napkin use?

Hi, I've been lurking for quite a while but I now have a question for
all of you great quilters out there. Today at an auction I bought a
box full of linen napkins, at least 50 of the things, about 6 or so of
each color/design. I'd like to do something quilty with them and
wondered if anyone has used linen for blocks??? Or do you have any
other sugestion for using these???? I got them for $1. I also bought
two boxes of quilt supplies with numerous pattern books and fabric and
swatches in them, each for $2. I think I did quite well, although I
definitely don't need to add to my stash, heehee. Thanks for any help
on the napkins. Kathy

Old October 17th 04, 12:20 PM
Polly Esther

Hello, Kathy, and welcome. Your auction finds sound like great fun. While
you're waiting for an answer from a "great" quilter, I can at least get you
started.
First you will want to know how these napkins respond to laundry. Wash
and dry a few of them and see how they feel about it. If they turn out
wrinkled, scratchy and expecting a big production of starching and ironing,
that's one thing. They may feel soft and strong. DH's grandmother made
quilts for our children from linen scraps. They were loved just to pieces
and wonderful. Polly

Kathy wrote Hi, I've been lurking for quite a while but I now have a

Old October 17th 04, 01:38 PM
Roberta Zollner

Linen is beautiful fabric, but...! Wash your napkins in the hottest water
you can manage. If new and never washed before, they will shrink all they're
going to, and if old, they probably need it anyway. Iron as smooth as you
can, and see if this is the look you want in your quilt. Personally, I'd
quilt a rather dense design, so wrinkles after washing the finished quilt
won't show much.
You can combine linen with cotton or silk *of similar weight*. But most
linen will be a bit heavier than quilting cotton. Look for curtain fabric if
you want to add yardage.
Some linen is a looser weave. If your napkins are this way, consider
interlining to prevent bearding.
If all this gives you 2nd thoughts, send the napkins to me! I *love* linen
napkins :-)
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

newsulcd.404739$Fg5.10204@attbi_s53...

Old October 17th 04, 07:04 PM
JoyceG in WA

After you have washed and pressed them, linen napkins are wonderful for
embroidery or redwork/bluework. I've been thinking that I might stitch some
together, maybe with some fancy hand-stitching, and make a nice table runner.
I would think you could make a beautiful summer-weight throw or blanket from
them as well, and maybe just stitch in the ditch to keep things together. I've
also seen vintage linen napkins used as a simple valance, folded on the
diagonal over a curtain rod, and overlapped so that you have a row of points.

--JoyceG in WA

Kathy asked:

Old October 18th 04, 02:20 AM
Beth Pierce

There are a few things you can make with your napkins. First, a
clothespin bag that hangs on the clothesline (if you have one of
these) makes a nice gift. I made one of these for myself and I like it
very much. For a while, I used it for my pantyhose and hung it in my
closet. Now that I no longer wear pantyhose (I'm retired), I use it
for what it was intended. Next, is a lingerie bag. This is a bag
about the size of a small tote bag that you place your lingerie into
if you are traveling. It is folded on one side, then wrapped to the
front. You can make one like a small pillowcase, with a pocket in the
front, maybe embroidery on the pocket. You can also piece the napkins
together and make a beautiful offwhite vest, embellishing it with gold
braid, lace, and buttons. Another item you can make is a jewelry roll
with little pockets for necklaces and a snapped center piece for
rings.

The sky's the limit on what you can make; "think outside the box".