eye protection UV- A UV- B 100 % what to do?

Old May 25th 04, 09:02 AM
ABS

Default eye protection UV- A UV- B 100 % what to do?

HI
What kind of eye protection do I need, when I am blowing glass?
If I got 100% UV safe goggles, is it good enough?
I am thinking about baying those that regulate it selves
Thanks
Anker from Denmark

Old May 25th 04, 03:04 PM
Moonraker

"ABS" hvad@saa wrote in message
. ..
HI
What kind of eye protection do I need, when I am blowing glass?
If I got 100% UV safe goggles, is it good enough?
I am thinking about baying those that regulate it selves
Thanks
Anker from Denmark

Are you blowing glass now without eye protection?

Look he www.auralens.com

Old May 26th 04, 03:23 AM
Mike Firth

The simple answer is no, it is not enough. Taking out UV is easy and most
shaded glasses do so.
There are 3 different glassblowing situations.
Furnace glass - by testing the greatest risk is IR and a Welding shade 4
(as I recall) is recommended.
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/safety.htm#EYEPR
Soft glass lampworking - Dichroic to take out the yellow flare with
glasses. IR and UV not considered a problem.
Hard glass (boro) lampworking - Dichroic to take out yellow flare, plus
UV protection, plus some shading for IR, UV is much higher because of higher
temperature but some glass do UVA band, but not UVB.
--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website