Painting a flag on glass

Old August 28th 03, 03:36 AM
Barb and James Maxwell

Default Painting a flag on glass

I need to get a small Canadian flag, about 1x1.5 inches, into a project but
if I do each of the red bands and the white band, with a maple leaf, it will
make far too many seams. I've been looking around for some red and white
glass where if cut at the right spot could fake a flag, but without much
luck.

I'm considering painting the flag on some clear or white glass. I've never
tried this before, and everything I've read says this must be fired after
painting. Since I don't have access to a kiln, how necessary is the firing
step? Would the paint fade when hung in the window?

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
James

--
---------------------------------------
Barb and James Maxwell

Old August 28th 03, 08:10 AM
Mike Firth

Ironically, the next reply on my display, writing inside a glass tube,
involving making a xerox on color transfer material, might actually be a
better solution for you (which I thought it was before I caught the title)
There are five levels of paint you might use, only two needing firing.
You might scuff the surface of the glass with emery cloth and paint with
ordinary enamels (like model airplane paint) which should be fairly durable
in this situation.
You could use the kind poster paint used for painting windows for
Halloween or Christmas, less durable, especially to contact, but possibly
useful, but perhaps too thick to use at this scale and too transparent when
thin.
You could use the generally frowned upon plastic stained glass liquids,
which definately will fade in strong light.
You could use the glass paints which require home oven firing, I am not
familiar with them.
You could use Paradise glass paints, which require firing at 1000-1100F

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website
.. .

Old August 28th 03, 02:08 PM
chunk

How about contracting with one of the hot glass people on this Newsgroup to
create that piece of glass for you. I bet it would look great.

Chunk Kiesling