Chocolate gravy

Old October 5th 05, 01:00 AM
Elizabeth Young

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
Apparently, no one ever registered her birth and she didn't get one
until she was ready to retire and needed it for Social Security. Her
birth certificate of record is based on sworn affadavits from her
maternal aunts who were present at her birth. Ain't life and family
history a hoot?

Yes it is a hoot. My grandmother was born in the late 1800 in Michigan's
UP. It took month before her birth was officially registered. Anyway,
when she went to collect Social Security, she had to get a baptismal
certificate. Imagine her shock when her name was NOT the one she thought
it was! Turned out that the uncle who took her to get registered did not
like the name his sister had picked out. So he just picked a different
one and never told anyone.

liz young in sunny, breezy california
Old October 5th 05, 01:18 AM
Taria

My dad's legal birthday is a week off. I guess when his grandma
went to town she registered it but looked at the calender wrong.
Must have happened often.
Taria

Old October 5th 05, 05:09 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

See how interesting family history is? My gr gr grandfather fought in
the Civil War, was captured, and died in Vicksburg exactly two years to
the day that his wife wrote in her diary she was afraid she'd never see
him again. I have some Bible pages from my grandmother that indicate a
relationship existed between my gr gr grandfather (Isaac Hemminger,. b.
Ohio 1830) and a man named Lewis Hemminger. I can find Lewis's family
back to kingdom come, but no mention of Isaac, even though the Bible
pages indicate Lewis was the uncle of Isaac's daughter, Ella May. A
descendent of Lewis e-mailed me their family tree, but he didn't know
anything about Isaac. I know so much about Isaac, but not how he is
related to Lewis nor who his parents were. Ahhhh history's mysteries.

I'll never understand why anyone would ridicule someone for their
ancestry. How wonderful that you have her birth certificate. What
would they have done if there weren't anyone still alive who knew her
from birth?

I occasionally visit a genealogy newsgroup and someone was asking how to
record it when a child was the product of a same sex marriage.
Interesting how times change.

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
I was an adult and my Granny Pete was dead when I learned that my mother's
biological father wasn't her legal father. My Granny Pete was pregnant with
another mans baby when she married my Granddaddy Pete. My mother's bio-dad
was one Wallace Beck, a full blood Chickasaw. He was 54 and my granny was
18 at the time of conception. My grandparents married in March, 1927 and my
mother was born 6/2/1927. OOPS!!! The family story goes that Granny told
Granddaddy to go and get her mother because she was having a gall bladder
attack. Imagine my grandfathers shock when he came in from the field to
find a black hair, black eyed, olive skinned little girl. Granddaddy had
virtually no formal education (I taught him to sign his own name on his
checks when I was 13) but he knew enough about biology to know it takes 9
months to make a baby. Supposedly, he told Granny "Nola - that is my child
and we will never speak of this again." Some nosey relatives made it their
business to inform my mother of her ancestry. My mother was ridiculed as a
half breed all her life and was ashamed of her ancestory as a result. It
was like pulling hens teeth to get it out of her when I went to college. I
knew we were Indian because I attended Indian schools as a child in Bell, OK
(Tahlequah, OK is the Cherokee Tribal Headquarters). I have a copy of her
corrected birth certificate with her bio father's name on it and her
rightful maiden name. Apparently, no one ever registered her birth and she

Old October 6th 05, 02:17 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I've helped same sex parents register their childs birth. If female, under
"mother" you put Mary Jones and Sue Smith. If male - under "father" you put
John Jones and Sam Smith. The other gender parent is left blank. It causes
a little confusion with the bureaucrats at first but they can just get over
themselves. A court order of the legal adoption puts a stop to that
nonsense in a hurry.

There are just too many children out there in the world growing up in
temporary foster homes without forever parents. What goes on behind the
closed door of a bedroom doesn't have a thing to do with loving a child and
providing a safe and stable environment for them while they grow up. I have
worked with same sex parents and their problems are just like traditional
parents. The love and concern for the child are all the same.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
[...]
maiden name. Apparently, no one ever registered her birth and she didn't

Old October 6th 05, 07:58 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

Of course, in genealogy it is about the birth of the generations, so if
one of the women has given birth to the child, she is listed as the
mother, and her partner is listed as "mate" or "partner". Same with a
man who has fathered a child. If the child is adopted, of course that
also is listed. Sometimes a child is adopted by the birth parent's new
spouse and that is listed also.

Old October 14th 05, 04:20 PM
DrQuilter

oh, thanks for posting this snigs. some of our best friends are a
lesbian couple that adopted a girl that had been in foster care all her
life. they got her when she was 7, she is 13 now. they are great parents
to her and I couldnt care less that they are two women, but some people
dont think they should have had the right to adopt her. this girl was
really screwed up by her foster family by the way, a heterosexual, very
religious couple that specialized in children with health issues. I
wouldnt be surprised if some type of abuse went on, sometimes she has
the weirdest reactions and attitudes, for example she did not believe I
was a doctor but had no trouble believing DH was one.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old October 16th 05, 01:28 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Default Family Trees ( was: Chocolate gravy

Thank Goodness she has your friends to "cure" the problem of her early
education by the misinformed. Two of my best friends are a lesbian couple.
They were both straight (heterosexual) before they met each other. They
just celebrated 30 years together and yes, they are legally married. They
both worked at university in Boston and have been together ever since. They
are the most accepting, nonjudgemental and intelligent women I know and I am
so glad they call me friend. They raise Llamas for a hobby. The humor that
I share here is from my friend who has a doctorate in Theology - the
Reverand is a lesbian and has never married. She calls me her "token
straight" friend. LOL!! The best mentor I ever had was the County
Administrator where I worked and she was a lesbian. I don't know why but
some of the women that I have respected more than any others have been Gay.
I have had several Gay couples (male and female) in my caseload at various
times and found them to be loving and committed to the children in their
care. They are more open minded, less prejudiced and more relaxed as
parents. They lovd with all their hearts and I know the children they cared
for were blessed by them. I never saw a hidden agenda. Unfortunately, not
the case in some Foster Parents who are in for the money, to save souls, and
other less appetizing reasons that you might suspect. Pedophiles
occasionally make it thru the screening process and get into Fostering for
the sole purpose of gaining more victims.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \