Need date help

Old October 11th 05, 01:03 PM
Pat in Virginia

Liz:
I've seen those kits at Ben Franklin this year ... 2005! I've
read the label and think it includes all the pertinent
information. The owner won't really fuss about the exact date her
grandma may have started the project. BTW, this is a lovely quilt
and I really like the photograph of the grandma, on the label.
PAT in VA/USA

Liz A. wrote:

I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with some date history.
About 7 years ago I told my cousin I would finish a quilt that his
mother had started (she had passed away from breast cancer.) It was a
cross stitch kit with the cross stitch and quiliting design pre-stamped
on the top fabric. My aunt had completed the cross stitch and about 1/4
of the hand quilting. Shortly after the quilt was sent to me to finish,
health issues got in the way. Long story short, I've FINALLY finished
it and want to put a label documenting the quilt history before I send
it back to the granddaughter my aunt never got to meet.

Hopefully SOMEBODY out there might remember when these kits were
popular. I'm guessing around 1970. Her 3 sons aren't much help here.

The pictures are on my Webshots site, under "Cross Stitch Quilt."
http://community.webshots.com/user/dittosneak

Much thanks for your help.

LizA
Kent, WA

Old October 11th 05, 02:32 PM
Sandy Foster

In article . com,
"Liz A." wrote:

I'm overwhelmed by all the kind compliments. Thank you all. The
sentimental journey this quilt has taken is pretty powerful. I will be
including a letter to my cousin's wife so that she may keep it for
Amanda (she's only 7). I've just uploaded a jpg of the planned label.
http://community.webshots.com/user/dittosneak

I'm going to go with the consensus of around 1970 for a date. Fabric
has been treated and the label will be printed tomorrow. The quilt is
HUGE, 85" x 100". I was astounded at how large it really was. There are
a couple stains that didn't come out when I washed it in the bathtub
with Orvus. The top muslin is so delicate and fairly loosely woven that
I'm afraid to try anything else. The stains aren't that large and are
on the sides. I'm treating them as part of the quilt's history.

Thanks again, you guys are wonderful. I'm so glad I found you.

LizA.
Kent, WA

Oh, Liz, the label is *perfect*! I think you couldn't possibly have come
up with a better shape than the heart too symbolize the love that has
been poured into the quilt.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 11th 05, 05:43 PM
Debra

On 10 Oct 2005 13:54:08 -0700, "Liz A." wrote:

[...]

The cross stitch blocks are still popular. Since you have no idea
when this was started you could do something similar to the label I
made for a quilt finished after my friend's mom passed away. He gave
me a box of fabric and in it was a small quilt top, batting, and extra
fabric. My mom made it a little larger (to make it a lap quilt,) and
backed it with the extra fabric, then quilted it. She surprised him
with it on his birthday and it is a cherished last birthday gift from
his mom. Anyway, here's the wording (without the names) I used
centered on the label.

Pinwheels Quilt
Made with Love by NAME
Quilted with Love and Care by NAME
Finished April, 2004
Presented to NAME
on his 38th birthday, May 30, 2004

I also have a quilt my grandma made for me that was quilted by my mom
after my grandma passed away. I knew how old I was when I first saw
the top, so that is the year I used for the top's date. Here is the
wording I wrote for that label. I love how it ties all three
generations together.

Rose Dream Quilt
Top Circa 1969, Quilting finished 2004
Top made for Debra by her grandmother, NAME
Quilted for Debra by her mother, NAME
Proudly given to, and joyfully received by
NAME

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 11th 05, 07:31 PM
Debra

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:55:55 -0500, "Nann Hilyard"
wrote:

Sandy, there is one big change: the fabric. My Bucilla quilts (my x-stitch
and the pansy applique that my mother made for me, and the two kits) are
100% cotton. The embroidery pieces I have collected -- most complete, some
unfinished, some unstarted -- are all cotton or all linen, nice and heavy.

One of my favorite vintage pieces is a UFO, about 8" x 15". I couldn't
resist it--paid $4, about twice too much--it's stained too boot. But
stamped on the margin (which would have been cut away had it been finished)
is the product number and the words "Radio Scarf."

If a dresser scarf goes on your dresser, then it's only logical that a radio
scarf goes on your radio!

Nann

Or it could have been for the radio to sit upon. Interesting marking
though. I love vintage pieces.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 11th 05, 07:49 PM
Anne in CA

And the piano scarf goes on the piano and the buffet scarf goes on the
buffet (when you aren't using it to serve food from). My Gram had
"scarves" for just about every piece of furniture in her house :-)
And now I have some of them, but not the furniture to put under them ...

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3

Old October 11th 05, 10:41 PM
Taria

Probably meant for a console radio. They are big old wooden monsters.
We have a half dozen or so around here. I never knew they specifically
made radio scarves Nann, That is cool. I was really glad when DH's
radio collection moved from consoles to transistor radios!
Taria

Old October 16th 05, 11:47 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

Default Need date help

You can still find cross stitch embroidery blocks for sale in Herrscheners
catalog. Also have found them in the embroidery section of WM

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
ups.com...

Finding posts by date ? Rusty1215 Yarn 3 October 8th 04 01:58 PM
RCTY-ers, lets make us a 'date' (!!) Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 31 May 24th 04 05:39 AM
OT Date Bars, aka Matrimonial Cake Dawne Peterson Needlework 2 July 24th 03 11:46 AM