Washing finished projects

Old November 26th 04, 03:00 PM
Alison in OH

Default Washing finished projects

I am thinking ahead to finishing my first cross stitch (with 15 or so
hours on it, I fear it won't finish any time too soon, though!) and
wondering how to clean it in preparation for framing or mounting. I am
tempted to use my wool wash, Eucalan. It's marketed for all fine
washables, but it does have a bit of lanolin in it. I've used it to
wonderful effect on a cotton/linen blend sweater, but I fear that the
lanolin will lead to deterioration down the line -- is this a valid
concern?

-Alison (in OH)

Old November 26th 04, 03:34 PM
Lou

"Alison in OH" wrote in message
I am thinking ahead to finishing my first cross stitch (with 15 or so
hours on it, I fear it won't finish any time too soon, though!) and
wondering how to clean it in preparation for framing or mounting. I am
tempted to use my wool wash, Eucalan. It's marketed for all fine
washables, but it does have a bit of lanolin in it. I've used it to
wonderful effect on a cotton/linen blend sweater, but I fear that the
lanolin will lead to deterioration down the line -- is this a valid
concern?

-Alison (in OH)

I use 'sodium lauryl sulfate'.
It has many 'names'. Mine is called 'Quilt Care' and was purchased at a
quilt shop.

Lou

Old November 26th 04, 03:38 PM
Wooly

Lanolin is, in most cases, a protectant for wool fibers. It can
sometimes attract bugs. I use cheap shampoo, or Dawn dish detergent,
to wash my handwork. Woolen garments get a dose of cheap hair
conditioner in the rinse water.
Old November 26th 04, 03:55 PM
Lucille

Isn't sodium lauryl sulfate a major ingredient in shampoo? If so, why can't
you use a mild shampoo, like baby shampoo, for washing at I suspect might be
a cheaper price?
Lucille

Old November 26th 04, 04:39 PM
F.James Cripwell

Alison in OH ) writes:
I am thinking ahead to finishing my first cross stitch (with 15 or so
hours on it, I fear it won't finish any time too soon, though!) and
wondering how to clean it in preparation for framing or mounting. I am
tempted to use my wool wash, Eucalan. It's marketed for all fine
washables, but it does have a bit of lanolin in it. I've used it to
wonderful effect on a cotton/linen blend sweater, but I fear that the
lanolin will lead to deterioration down the line -- is this a valid
concern?

-Alison (in OH)

This question comes up routinely on rctn, and I usually give the same
sort of reply. *IF* you have used good materials, such as DMC or Anchor
floss, then your embroidery is extremely tough and durable. If you have
other fibres, then it might be another matter. It was reported on rctn
many years ago that someone embroidered a baby's bib, which was used the
way it was intended. After 6 months of being thrown in the washing
machine, with all sorts of harsh detergents and bleaches, the bib was
falling to pieces, but the stitching was as fresh as the day it was
finished. Personally, I wash my work in Tide by hand, rinse very
thoroughly, hang to dry, and iron on the wrong side. HTH

--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.
Old November 26th 04, 06:37 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

F.James Cripwell wrote:
This question comes up routinely on rctn, and I usually give the same
sort of reply. *IF* you have used good materials, such as DMC or Anchor
floss, then your embroidery is extremely tough and durable. If you have
other fibres, then it might be another matter. It was reported on rctn
many years ago that someone embroidered a baby's bib, which was used the
way it was intended. After 6 months of being thrown in the washing
machine, with all sorts of harsh detergents and bleaches, the bib was
falling to pieces, but the stitching was as fresh as the day it was
finished. Personally, I wash my work in Tide by hand, rinse very
thoroughly, hang to dry, and iron on the wrong side. HTH

Amen!
Don't forget to iron (face down) on top of a heavy padding of terry
toweling. Your embroidery will simply sing after washing/ironing.
Dianne