yohen crystalline glazes?

Old September 24th 05, 08:24 PM
Bernard Arnest

Default yohen crystalline glazes?

Hi,
I have just begun a pottery class and am having fun at it. For
another class I had to observe a couple pieces at a museum, and in
wandering around after having taken note of those pieces I happened
across a modern bowl with a blue overglaze onto of a "yohen-type
glaze." In looking on the internet, I found photos of virtually the
same effect he http://www.puckergallery.com/miyamura.html

Granted that I know no more about glazes than just the cheap clear
glaze we paint onto our high-school pots, I would still like to learn
more about it. A google search thus far has turned up galleries and
some notes about potters, but no definitive step-by-step description of
how to execute yohen glazes, let alone this particular hematite-like
crystalline yohen glaze. I learned that it involves charcoal or ash
:-) But that's about it :-( Can it be done in the electric kilns we
have? If not, can a kiln be affordably built? Well, to be honest with
myself, I'm not likely to get around to building kilns or mastering
yohen glazes when I've barely begun in pottery, but I'd still truly
love to learn more if you know of any books or websites or can
personally tell me moe about it.

thanks!
-Bernard Arnest

Old September 24th 05, 10:56 PM
dkat

You should learn about glazes in general to begin with. It is a wonderful
mix of science and art.
http://www.masteringglazes.com/Pages/wherebuyframe.html
www.digitalfire.com
Michael Cardew's Pioneer Potter http://www.powells.com/s?kw=michael+cardew

The glazes that you linked to are high fire reduction pieces but I have seen
a poster that has a wonderful site on oxidation mid-fire crystalline glazes.
I can't find her link right now but will post it when I do.
A good general link to have is www.potters.org - this is what they have
archived on crystalline glazes.
http://www.potters.org/category065.htm

Where do you live? Western states have inexpensive city colleges that
generally have a ceramics department where they would have classes that
offer more than the low firing glaze that you seem to be working with. They
might have workshops on glazes as well. Good luck and welcome to the clan.

"Bernard Arnest" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

FA: Uncommon Ceramics Book "GLAZES FOR SPECIAL EFFECTS" -- like new! Hugh Lyon-Sach Pottery 0 May 10th 05 08:35 PM
Crystalline glazes? griz Pottery 0 August 4th 04 09:58 AM
Cone 6 Glazes WITHOUT Gertsley Borate? dkat Pottery 23 July 20th 04 03:50 AM
metallic glazes MIKandCOL Pottery 0 January 17th 04 01:13 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM