Timber hitch question

Old March 29th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.knots
Carl West

Default Timber hitch question

I'm having a discussion elsewhere about the bowyer's knot/timber hitch.

Ashley says about the timber hitch:
"The turns should be 'dogged' _with_the_lay_ of the rope. Three turns or
tucks are ample."

I have always tied it so that the tucks look like a two-ply rope and it
has held well for me in hemp, linen, and dacron.

But that seems to be 'dogging' it against the lay according to Ashley's
illustration (which doesn't show the lay, but I'm assuming the rope has
a 'z'lay) which shows the tucks forming a 'z' twist.

So, have I been doing it slightly wrong all this time?

--

Carl West
http://prospecthillforge.com : The Blacksmithing Classroom