Knitter's POLL

Old February 8th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Knitter's POLL

I've been away, and haven't had time to catch up with all the posts, so, not
having read most of this thread I thought I was about to say I have a unique
method of knitting, only to find this message!

I, also, knit with one needle under my arm. Means I need to use long
needles, and am VERY reluctant to use the 4 together, but it does make for
very even knitting, and I also read and/or watch television as I don't need
to watch the needles. This is one reason I don't enjoy crochet - need to
keep my eyes on the work.

Catherine

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article ,
(Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Yes i knew one as well , it was my late mother Who by the way learned
her knitting in Paris while she went to Elementary school there .
I mean Paris France ....
mirjam

My mother as well as my mother in law held one needle under their arm. My
mother in law was a champion knitter of socks sweater and even bathing
suits, anything that could be knitted she did it. She was also a very
fast knitter as well. Talking and knitting......and watching TV all at
the same speed....LOL

Els

Old February 8th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Oh my....I had no idea...Parises everywhere!

I'm sorry you're feeling sick again. Have you been to the doctor?
Seems like you're having a heck of a time kicking this thing. Do you
need nurse Pam to come and take care of you?
Pam

The YarnWright wrote:

Paris, Illinois,
Paris, Tennessee,
Paris, Texas....
there's LOTS of 'em, Pam

Noreen
who was feeling about 75% better till about an hour ago... hope I'm not
relapsing!

Old February 10th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I was just sitting here wondering what made me knit with the right needle
under my arm, as no-one I know does it like that, when I remembered that it
came from necessity. I started knitting in high school, and would knit at
every opportunity, even alking from one class to another. I used to have
the ball of wool resting in a pocket, thread coming from the inside (there's
another poll for you), and then I could walk and knit. LOL
Must've been a sight!

Catherine

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
In article ,
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Carey and Gemini i think this is some American /Canadian invented
technique , you both are AMAZING , trued it and couldn`t do it ,,,,

No, it goes back a long way in the UK. I think it's a substitute
for using a knitting stick to hold a double pointed needle. When
knobs were made on the ends of needles for flat knitting, they
didn't fit into the knitting stick (or knitting belt, in Shetland)
so people got the long needles and held one under the right arm
or propped it up somehow. Threads magazine did an article a long
time ago about different ways people hold the needles.

=Tamar

Old February 11th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Catherine,

Don't know how to quote text to which I'm replying, so I'll cut and
paste....

"I was just sitting here wondering what made me knit with the right
needle
under my arm, as no-one I know does it like that, when I remembered
that it
came from necessity. I started knitting in high school, and would knit
at
every opportunity, even alking from one class to another. I used to
have
the ball of wool resting in a pocket, thread coming from the inside
(there's
another poll for you), and then I could walk and knit. LOL
Must've been a sight!"

I truly DID LOL on reading this 'cause since a couple weeks ago when
Mirjam told about knitting while standing on the train (or was it the
bus?) I've been wondering where she kept the yarn!!!
Eve

Old February 11th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Giggle ,,,, Eve ,,,
i kept the ball in the little bag which holds the knitting , bag hang
on my arm , ball of wool inside bag , long thread cpmes out and i knit
it , next time thread will see the inside of the bag it is already
knitted...
Ps ,, sadly i have to say that last week i have NOT knitted much , i
spend time telling artists to send pics and texts ,,,, Hope to resume
knitting soon...
mirjam

Old March 9th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Continental/German -- Picking.

Want to learn the other way sometime as I hear it is easier to do FairIsle
if you can do both. Just haven't gotten that ambitious yet.

JJMolvik

"The YarnWright" wrote in message
Curiousity query!!
Do you knit Continental/German or English/American?

Continental= hold yarn in left hand, and 'pick' your stitches....

English= hold yarn in right hand, and "throw".....

Noreen

--
change n e t to c o m to email/reply to me.