Good Sunady

Old May 1st 05, 05:30 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default Good Sunady

Good Sunday ,
I will dress up and go to buy the first bread after Pescah Passover ,
Than i will try and make a Finnishing Day for repairs and Works in
progress ,,, AFter all this Is a Real First Sunday of the Month ,,,
Happy First Of May ,to those who still celebrate this DAY of
International Workers Solidarity ...
mirjam
Old May 1st 05, 07:57 PM
JCT

When I was a child we celebrated May Day but not as a labor day (in the
US we celebrate Labor Day in September). We hung may baskets on
doorknobs of our neighbors, rang the bell and then hid or ran away.
The baskets were full of wildflowers we had picked in the woods. We
made the may baskets from colored paper, paper doilies and other such
things. It was great fun for us. Sadly I think most of our kids would
have a difficult time finding pickable wildflowers today. We had woods
to roam in where that was ok and found all sorts of pretty small
flowers to use - violets, hepatica, etc.

This site is from Illinois but the flowers are very like the ones we
had in Southern Minnesota.
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/educati...r/wildflwr.htm

Old May 1st 05, 08:01 PM

Hi Judy,

I'm so glad to see that some one remembers May baskets and how they
were made. We used to put a little candy instead of wildflowers in
them. I remember the umbrella as the prettiest one of all. Oh the
lovely memories.

Hugs,

Nora

Old May 1st 05, 09:42 PM
Katherine

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Good Sunday ,
I will dress up and go to buy the first bread after Pescah Passover ,
Than i will try and make a Finnishing Day for repairs and Works in
progress ,,, AFter all this Is a Real First Sunday of the Month ,,,
Happy First Of May ,to those who still celebrate this DAY of
International Workers Solidarity ...

When I was a child, the first day of May was the beginning of Mary's month,
and we would wear whatever we could find in blue.
A bit later, I learned about May poles, and baskets.
Later still, I learned about May 1st baing a day for workers.
Either way, it is still one step closer to summer!

Katherine

Old May 1st 05, 10:35 PM
emerald

When I was a child, the first day of May was the beginning of Mary's
month, and we would wear whatever we could find in blue.

smile
I'd forgotten about that tradition, Katherine! We also used to make May
altars with a statue or picture of Mary and some flowers -whatever we could
find which was sometimes just daisies.
Thanks for the memory.

Eimear

Old May 2nd 05, 12:35 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Good Sunday ,
I will dress up and go to buy the first bread after Pescah Passover ,
Than i will try and make a Finnishing Day for repairs and Works in
progress ,,, AFter all this Is a Real First Sunday of the Month ,,,
Happy First Of May ,to those who still celebrate this DAY of
International Workers Solidarity ...

When I was a child, the first day of May was the beginning of Mary's month,
and we would wear whatever we could find in blue.
A bit later, I learned about May poles, and baskets.
Later still, I learned about May 1st baing a day for workers.
Either way, it is still one step closer to summer!

Katherine

Guess what, everyone, the dance around the maypoles, is a Kumihimo braid
pattern.......

Els with a big smile.....

--
hate spam not welcome
Old May 2nd 05, 12:37 AM
Els van Dam

In article jYbde.1185440$Xk.629466@pd7tw3no, "emerald"
wrote:

When I was a child, the first day of May was the beginning of Mary's
month, and we would wear whatever we could find in blue.

smile
I'd forgotten about that tradition, Katherine! We also used to make May
altars with a statue or picture of Mary and some flowers -whatever we could
find which was sometimes just daisies.
Thanks for the memory.

Eimear

Eimear, did you make daisy chains....We used the little ones, blooming
right now. In Dutch we call these Madeliefjes.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old May 2nd 05, 03:16 AM
Katherine

emerald wrote:
When I was a child, the first day of May was the beginning of Mary's
month, and we would wear whatever we could find in blue.

smile
I'd forgotten about that tradition, Katherine! We also used to make
May altars with a statue or picture of Mary and some flowers
-whatever we could find which was sometimes just daisies.
Thanks for the memory.

We did that, too, Eimear, and, because I went to a Catholic school, we would
have a parade.

Katherine

Old May 2nd 05, 03:17 AM
Katherine

Els van Dam wrote:
In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Good Sunday ,
I will dress up and go to buy the first bread after Pescah Passover
, Than i will try and make a Finnishing Day for repairs and Works in
progress ,,, AFter all this Is a Real First Sunday of the Month ,,,
Happy First Of May ,to those who still celebrate this DAY of
International Workers Solidarity ...

When I was a child, the first day of May was the beginning of Mary's
month, and we would wear whatever we could find in blue.
A bit later, I learned about May poles, and baskets.
Later still, I learned about May 1st baing a day for workers.
Either way, it is still one step closer to summer!

Katherine

Guess what, everyone, the dance around the maypoles, is a Kumihimo
braid pattern.......

Els with a big smile.....

LOL Of course it is, Els! I should have known. g

Hugs,
Katherine