Totally off topic

Old August 30th 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Totally off topic

Does any one know about how to pick cockatiels?

DD wants a cockatiel! preferably two!!!

Old August 30th 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 8/29/10 7:39 PM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

Does any one know about how to pick cockatiels?

DD wants a cockatiel! preferably two!!!

Well, I don't know - but I did have an ops deputy (Army Major) who came with
2 cockatiels. They were awesome, he'd bring them to the field, they lived
in his hotel room during the week, then home on the weekends. My mean SIL
has a Cockatoo & a Sun Conure. We keep looking into a bird - my experience
is these are long-term commitments. Around here there are 2 specialty bird
stores, and I'd ask around your area, look for similar before buying. Maybe
find a bird lovers group to ask some questions.

IIRC Frank had the 2 because they're pretty social and were much happier as
a pair rather than just one being alone. Got to be something in the Boston
area (I know - you hate to have to think of a drive).

ellice

Old August 30th 10, 11:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/29/10 10:58 PM, in article , "Ellice
K." wrote:

On 8/29/10 7:39 PM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

Does any one know about how to pick cockatiels?

DD wants a cockatiel! preferably two!!!

Well, I don't know - but I did have an ops deputy (Army Major) who came with
2 cockatiels. They were awesome, he'd bring them to the field, they lived
in his hotel room during the week, then home on the weekends. My mean SIL
has a Cockatoo & a Sun Conure. We keep looking into a bird - my experience
is these are long-term commitments. Around here there are 2 specialty bird
stores, and I'd ask around your area, look for similar before buying. Maybe
find a bird lovers group to ask some questions.

IIRC Frank had the 2 because they're pretty social and were much happier as
a pair rather than just one being alone. Got to be something in the Boston
area (I know - you hate to have to think of a drive).

ellice

Been to the two closest. I'm looking for other places as we speak. Yes,
there will be two. I just worried about the long term. It's not like she can
take them to college.

Old August 30th 10, 12:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Does any one know about how to pick cockatiels?

DD wants a cockatiel! preferably two!!!

Try to find a breeder if you can - their birds are much more likely to
have been hand-reared and at least a bit tame already.

FWIW, show DD a pic of some African lovebirds and see what she thinks of
those. We gave some to DS for his birthday and he's never laughed so
much in his life - they sure are clowns! The only down-side is that one
(1) of our four birds turned out to be a ring-in male and he's having
his evil way with the yellow hen. They're nesting.

Sigh... that's how we got started with the mice.... sigh...

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old August 30th 10, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Aug 29, 4:39*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Does any one know about how to pick cockatiels?

DD wants a cockatiel! preferably two!!!

YES! Well, sort of. I'll check with DH for particulars when he gets
back from town. I'm a bird person by marriage; when DH picked me up
for our first (blind) date (Sept. of 1981), his baby macaw was sitting
on the seat between us so we could drop her off at the mutual friend's
house for the midday feeding. I should have known then that he'd be
trouble! :-))))) He's out running errands right now so I'll email
you later with his input but what I DO know, is that, if DD wants
them to bond to HER, then she should only get one or they will be more
inclined to bond with each other and not give a fig about her. While
you're waiting for DH to get back to you, check out the website of the
"girl" partially responsible for our 28th anniversary last Saturday.
I worked with Julie's mom and DH worked with Julie's brother. DH
helped Julie get her first (living) bird - long story - and then,
because Julie was interested in training, introduced her to a friend
of his who trained parrots and ran the Bird Bath Car Wash in Fremont.
Julie was 14 at the time. She and her DH now make their living with a
performing parrot show! The website is: http://www.happybirds.com.
DH made the bicycles, high wire, swing, skates and scooter when we had
our precision sheet metal shop.
Liz from Humbug