Nymo question

Old October 11th 04, 07:02 PM
Beadbimbo

Default Nymo question

Ok, prepare for lots of newbie seed bead questions. Here's my first one.

I bought some Nymo and had no idea it came in sizes. What size do I want
for 8 and 11 beads? I can tell I'm going to need more, especially because I
showed DD how to do this spiral and she has really gone to town with it.

Anyone know if Hobby Lobby carries Nymo? The LBS is an hour away, and the
HL is about 20-25 minutes away, so I'm more likely to make it over that way
sometime in the near future.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old October 11th 04, 07:17 PM
DreamBeadr

It really depends on what stitch you will be doing and which country your beads
come from.
Czech beads have smaller holes than Japanese seedbeads.

Some stitches only have a couple of thread passes, while others have numerous
ones.

The majority of available Nymo comes in sizes OO, O, B, D, F. F being the
largest.

With Japanese size 11's I generally use a size B for most of my weaving
projects.
You can use D in many cases.

OO I reserve for repair work on size 15's or smaller. O for repair work on
11's if I think it will work, B if I can get away with it.

I only use F to stitch larger size beads to fabric. Like around the hem of
blue jeans where there will be lots of movement.

So, after all that...LOL
I recommend sizes B & D for most anything you might be doing. ;o)

There are two camps on Nymo. Those who love it, those who don't.
I have been using it for over 30 years and have never had a problem with
breakage because of the thread.

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com
Old October 11th 04, 07:22 PM
Beadbimbo

Ooooooooooooooo boy, I'm getting overwhelmed again, and this doesn't even
involove picking out beads. B is the smallest? I knew there was a B and a
D, but didn't know about the F. Is O the weight? Is O lighter than OO?

Also, so you use beeswax on your thread? It seems like I read something
about that. I remember a friend's mother using it for sewing, when I was a
kid.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old October 11th 04, 07:25 PM
Janet R

If its for the spiral rope with size 11...use size Zero. You pass
through the core (inside) beads approx. 5 times, so you need the
thinnest Nymo available. Don't forget to condition it well to help
your stitching. It you are using size 8's, you can use any size or
even C-Lon and Slidamide (sp?).

Hope this helps
Janet R

Old October 11th 04, 08:04 PM
Dr. Sooz

B is the smallest? I knew there was a B and a
D, but didn't know about the F. Is O the weight? Is O lighter than OO?

Also, so you use beeswax on your thread? It seems like I read something
about that. I remember a friend's mother using it for sewing, when I was a
kid.

Ew! GOD I HATE NYMO!!!!!!!! (I use silamide or those fishing lines)
~~
Sooz
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~~Joseph Chilton
Pearce

Old October 11th 04, 08:17 PM
Karin Cernik

Jerri,
I have 800 yards that I will never use, white, don't know what size.
Email me with your snail mail and I'll send it to you.

Karin

Old October 11th 04, 08:29 PM
Arondelle

Beadbimbo wrote:
Ooooooooooooooo boy, I'm getting overwhelmed again, and this doesn't even
involove picking out beads. B is the smallest? I knew there was a B and a
D, but didn't know about the F. Is O the weight? Is O lighter than OO?

Also, so you use beeswax on your thread? It seems like I read something
about that. I remember a friend's mother using it for sewing, when I was a
kid.

OO is the lightest, then O, D, B, and F is the thickest. OO, O, and D
have lots of stretch, so be sure to give each piece you cut a good
stretching before you use it. This also takes most of the curl out of
it as well. B and F don't stretch as much, but it's a good idea to
stretch them first, too, just in case.

My LBS has mostly O and D, and some B. D has the widest selection of
colors available. YMMV. If you don't have a wide selection of colors,
see if you can get grey and/or beige in addition to black and white, so
it will have a better chance of blending with medium colors.

A thread conditioner like beeswax or Thread Heaven helps to reduce
curling, tangling and unwanted knotting. I usually use Thread Heaven on
my Nymo, unless I'm doing something that requires more body, in which
case I use beeswax. (You can get Thread Heaven in most fabric stores --
quilters like it, too.) Beeswax, however, will "shed" little bits of
wax all over your work, and sometimes clog up the bead holes.

Then, there's the business of needles. Always be sure to use the
correct size needle for the size of thread you're using. If you use a
needle that's too small for the thread, say a size 13 with Nymo B, the
motion of drawing the thread through the beads will cause weak spots in
the thread, which will eventually break. (We've been there together,
haven't we, Beki?) That's to say nothing about what a PIA it is to get
fat thread through the eye of a skinny needle. A size 10 needle is
larger than a size 13.

There are some folks here who will try to sell you on Power Pro and
other braided fishing line-type beading thread. It works OK, but is
stiffer than Nymo, and I, at least, can't get it through anything but a
size 10 needle -- and even then I have to flatten the end of the thread
with a pair of pliers. It has its uses, of course, like stringing
single seed beads as a chain, but maybe a beginner would not want to
invest in something relatively expensive just to mess around with. Nymo
is cheap enough that you shouldn't feel too badly about wasting a yard
or two per project.

HTH,

Arondelle

Old October 11th 04, 08:39 PM
Arondelle

Karin Cernik wrote:
I have 800 yards that I will never use, white, don't know what size.
Email me with your snail mail and I'll send it to you.

If you look carefully at the cardboard bobbin, you will see a letter
stamped into it. This denotes the size.

Arondelle

Old October 11th 04, 08:52 PM
Armand Vine

I use B for all my spiral ropes with no problem.
Kerry only uses B for all her beadweaving projects.
She even uses it with 13s.
15s do require smaller thread and needles.
Armand