QI, Claws and Quilts

Old May 28th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dogmom

Default QI, Claws and Quilts

Tomorrow Bo, our neutered cat, is fixin' to lose his front claws. DH and I
are very reluctant to do this, but we see no options. He is strictly indoors
since we got tired of other QI's whom we loved turning into coyote chow (one
of the hazards of living in the country). We've tried various scratching
toys/posts with lots of fresh catnip, tried trimming his nails every few
weeks, shot him with water pistols every time we've caught him clawing--but
he still does it. We can't watch him 24/7. I am frankly pleased that DH
loves my quilts enough to sacrifice Bo's front claws for them. If we don't
declaw him, I said, we'll sleep under slabs of denim and I'll give all my
future quilts away. Not acceptable, said DH. Good, I say to myself.

We totally trust our vet--I used to work for her and in fact she gave us the
cat--so that's some comfort. She did say that in mature cats (he was a stray
but probably about 2 years old) they may, rarely, retaliate by turning the
whole house into a litter box. We will hope not!

Any of y'all had this problem and if so, what did you do?

Dogmom

Old May 28th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon Harper

I don't envy you Dogmom. Our two, Samson and Maisie, are really good with
the quilts (they just love to sleep on them) but are fond of the carpet and
doona covers. I seem to have got them trained to one corner of the lounge
room where we have a scratching post (in need of new carpeting) and a large
rug which I've doubled over. The rug is backed with like a thin rubber
stuff to stop it from slipping but the cats enjoy ripping it off. Now with
it trapped between the two layers of carpet it's like a new game.

Let us know how you go.

http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html (takes awhile to load)
quicker)

Old May 28th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On May 28, 3:45 pm, "dogmom" wrote:
[...]

I have never had a cat declawed, but I'm on the board of directors for
our
county humane society, and so am in a circle of "animal people" and
hear
a lot of stories about people's pets.
Yes, your cat may start pooping and peeing all over the house. It's
actually common. That's because there's a chance
he will be left with painful toes the rest of his life. He'll start to
associate the pain with the
litterbox, and start to avoid it. That's the #1 complaint of the
people who relinquish their declawed cats
to the shelter. The other is that the cats tend to turn into biters.
I'm actually a rabid anti-declaw proponent, but am trying not to come
off that way out of
respect for whatever decision you make. But I'd really like for you to
make a 100% informed
decision. Please do a google or two on "declaw" before you decide.
I have five cats (yes, five!) in the house and honestly, I have never
had a shredded quilt, not one. It's the
cat hair that's the problem here!
I know nail clipping is a drag, but that's what I do. All you have to
do is just clip the "hooky" part off. That
reduces *tremendously* the ability to actually damage anything.
Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Sherry

Old May 28th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

[...]

Like it doesn't matter what the cat suffers so long as your house stays
nice?

Any of y'all had this problem and if so, what did you do?

Give the cat to somebody who cares about it.

We get our chair covers clawed. We just replace them every few years.

Old May 29th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I am also a life member of the Animal Welfare League and
have therefore associated with "animal types" for years as
well as having a constant feline live-in population of 2 to
6 cats at any one time (currently 3, with 2 "wannabe"
visitors).

And I am also absolutely against declawing. I try to
maintain a non-emotional response to those considering this
action to save their furniture as I feel everyone must make
decisions they can live with. But sadly this procedure can
result in lifetime discomfort/pain for the cat, and his
reaction may leave you worse off. All my cats are adopted
strays or rescues (who might reasonably be expected to have
behavioural problems) and all have been taught not to
scratch (or fight or spray or toilet) in the house. It is a
matter of establishing territorial boundaries. Inside the
house is MINE, outside the house is THEIRS. If you truly
have an incorigible scratcher I would suggest that there is
some as-yet-unidentified reason that triggers this
behaviour.

If you truly cannot live with the cat's behaviour is there
any chance of rehoming him? Perhaps cats are not the
perfect animal companions in your household, and you need to
consider an alternative.
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
: On May 28, 3:45 pm, "dogmom"
:

Old May 29th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

dogmom wrote:
[...]

We have a large scratching post which all the cats use everytime they
pass it, for a good stretch and a little scratch. It is just the basic
post covered in thick string, without any little houses/holes etc to
distract them. All three cats learned to use it very quickly, and
sometimes even get up, go and scratch and then go back to sleep. They
don't treat it as a toy but as a necessary and appreciated piece of
equipment for their wellbeing. Scratching posts are readily available
from Pet Stores.

Hodge loves to sit on a discarded piece of our clothing that smells of
us and knead with his paws in pleasure. Is this what your cat is doing
to your bed quilt? Why not just shut the bedroom door to keep him out.
Our cats sleep in the Conservatory or the kitchen, in their own beds.

It isn't just the claws that are removed, they go back to the first
joint. I had an operation to shorten two of my toes - the pain was
excruciating. I understand that the refusal to use a litter tray is
because they associate it with the pain they felt when they used it
after the op.

It is illegal in this country and most of Europe to declaw cats.

'Nuf said.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old May 29th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

If it is an inside only cat (due to coyotes in the 'hood)
this particular cat probably won't scratch outside.
I am here almost all the time and deal with most animal
stuff pretty quick. My 2 inside only cats scratch mostly
on the big carpet cat scratcher and the cardboard throw away
types that are all over the house. I say mostly because they
do scratch on other stuff. Lilly loves the expensive Lazy boy
chair and so they continue to match, the ottoman also. Maki
live on the back of the couch mostly and a hunk of thick fleece
tossed there has saved the couch. I just appliquéd bee's over
a quilt on my bed that Maki has torn in a few places. He
was little when he did it and my later quilts have been fairly
safe. I do keep their nails short and that helps a lot. I do use
the citrus spray and that helps a lot. There just is a certain
amount of damage that these darned things will do. Part of the
expense of them owning us I guess. I would rather deal with
scratches than litter box issues myself.
Taria

Old May 29th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Over my lifetime I have had several cats, and never had one with a
scratching/clawing problem. Some were strictly outside cats, some were
inside and outside, some were strictly inside cats.

The inside cats always had a scratching post and/or a "claw box". They
also had access to clawing up a carboard box if they wanted. They
never wanted to use the sofa or chair or any furniture for clawing.

I have worked for veterinarians also in the past, and saw the
devastating effects of declawing on cats. Remember, their front claws
are their main weapon of defense. Not only are they able to reach out
and touch someone/something with them, but they can run up a tree
because of their claws. If your cat accidentally gets outside, after
declawing he is pretty much defense-less.

Don't declaw. Get him a clawing post/claw box and trim his nail every
couple of weks. The vet will show you how to do it safely and easily.

Just my humble opinion.
Ginger in CA

Old May 29th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

My cat is strictly indoors as well and I have never had a problem with
clawing things he shouldn't after getting after him a few times sternly or
with a spray bottle. He also has his own quilt I made for him with the
"batting" of plastic grocery bags and catnip. He LOVES it. It get scratched
and mauled and licked and drooled on and beat up and then slept on. Since
giving him his own quilt in his own corner I have never seen him scratch at
anything else in the house. Oh well I lied, he does once in a while scratch
at the mat in front of my door.

We have absolutely NO carpet in my house, it is all laminate flooring
throughout and he has never once taken to scratching my furniture or bed or
quilts for satisfaction. Only his own little piece of carpet and his quilt.

I am against declawing as well. I had a friend that had her cat declawed and
he turned into a vicious animal biting everything and everyone that was
within range of him. They had to get him put down only 4 months after having
paid to have him declawed because of his aggression. And to think that it
isn't just the nail that gets taken off, it is actually a joint off each toe
that is removed! Ouchies!

Sorry, I think I would find him a new home or just keep trying other tactics
until he is broken of scratching where he isn't supposed to.

~KK in BC~ adding her 2 cents as well

Old May 29th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

Our Abby started on one corner of the couch. Got some spray stuff at the
pet shop that smelled like oranges and she's stayed away from it since. We
were also given a scratching post that is covered in carpet and on the pole
is covered in sisel. She LOVES that. That's the only thing that she claws
now.

--
Cindy from MO

"dogmom" wrote in message
[...]

first pieced quilts (tshirt quilts) Janet Crenshaw Quilting 7 March 20th 06 12:44 PM
Drilling claws? Dreamstalker Jewelry 0 May 2nd 04 07:20 PM
Notes with Quilts was Theme quilts for babies was My new stash Joan8904 Quilting 1 January 30th 04 01:48 AM
Operation Homefront Quilts - Quilts Needed Diane Keagy Quilting 2 January 23rd 04 05:44 AM
Stiff lobster claws Christina Peterson Beads 12 September 4th 03 09:38 PM