Pattern search

Old November 15th 03, 11:10 PM
Janise Ross

Default Pattern search

I am in a quandary and hope someone has a good suggestion. I was going to
make a baby blanket/afghan for a baby that is expected by the end of the
year. I bought 4 skeins of Encore worsted weight, 2 each white and
multicolor. The pattern I was going to make called for holding 2 strands of
yarn together and knitting on size 13 US needles, or the size to get the
gauge. Well, I had to use size 17 and I hated the way my swatch looked!
Both pattern and hand. So, now I am in need of a quick pattern...it doesn't
have to be a blanket...which would either take the 4 skeins or just 2. (I
might be able to trade in 1 of the skeins for a 3rd in the same dye lot, but
won't know that until Monday.) Any ideas? (I have searched online and in
my own files, and am coming up dry.)

Thanks for your input.

Janise

Old November 16th 03, 03:00 AM
Sonya Cirillo

Janise Ross wrote:
I am in a quandary and hope someone has a good suggestion. I was going to
make a baby blanket/afghan for a baby that is expected by the end of the
year. I bought 4 skeins of Encore worsted weight, 2 each white and
multicolor. The pattern I was going to make called for holding 2 strands of
yarn together and knitting on size 13 US needles, or the size to get the
gauge. Well, I had to use size 17 and I hated the way my swatch looked!
Both pattern and hand. So, now I am in need of a quick pattern...it doesn't
have to be a blanket...which would either take the 4 skeins or just 2. (I
might be able to trade in 1 of the skeins for a 3rd in the same dye lot, but
won't know that until Monday.) Any ideas? (I have searched online and in
my own files, and am coming up dry.)

Thanks for your input.

Janise

Weeelllllll, do you really like this blanket pattern?? If so, do you
like how it came out on size 13 (or some size close to that)??

If the answer is yes and yes than we can help you refigure the cast on
and you can still do this one. . . otherwise - what sort of blanket are
you considering/thinking of? Lacy, semi-lacy (not an official category
but. . .) or 'solid'? Plain or textured?

Sonya

Old November 16th 03, 04:16 AM
Janise Ross

I'm not fond of the pattern. I thought it would look good when I bought the
pattern with the yarn, but it just isn't something I am liking. I am now
open to new ideas....I really don't like lacy blankets for babies, as their
little fingers or toes could get caught. I looked at various places online,
plus my own collection of patterns and books, but nothing appealed to me. I
looked at sweater patterns, but again, nothing appeals. I do want to use
the worsted weight yarn. So, do you have a favorite that you would
recommend?

Thanks again for your help.

Janise

"

Old November 16th 03, 09:36 AM
Kirsten Procter

In article ,
Janise Ross wrote:
I'm not fond of the pattern. I thought it would look good when I bought the
pattern with the yarn, but it just isn't something I am liking. I am now
open to new ideas....I really don't like lacy blankets for babies, as their
little fingers or toes could get caught. I looked at various places online,
plus my own collection of patterns and books, but nothing appealed to me. I
looked at sweater patterns, but again, nothing appeals. I do want to use
the worsted weight yarn. So, do you have a favorite that you would
recommend?

You may not of course, but I really like this blanket:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATThoover.html

The problem is, I'm not sure how quick it would be...

--
Kirsten Procter ghoti
Current projects; full-length dress with matching jacket, child's jumper,
Old November 16th 03, 10:14 AM
Angelicsong

Hi Janise,

If I'm in a hurry and I want something to look nice but knit up fast in a
blanket, I just use a basket weave pattern (checker board sort of). On a 5
or 6 mm needle it works up fairly fast. Cast on even numbers, I'd use about
150 sts. Try a swatch first to check though 'cause I'm doing this from
memory.

I'd use 5 or 10 stitches (depending on how wide you want) of plain knit for
the side border. 10 rows of plain knit for top and bottom borders.

Then for the body of the blanket, 5 sts (or 10 depending on how large you
want the squares to be) of knit and 5 (or 10) sts of purl for about 20 rows
each. Then do the reverse for 20 more rows.

Keep going as long as you'd like to make it as large as you want it to be,
ending with your border. I usually like it to be about 40 inches long. This
fits a crib or a stroller nicely. If you have any problems just email me and
I'll try to clear them up.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Melody

Old November 16th 03, 03:14 PM
Karen MN

Hi Janise,

I recall seeing a ProjectLinus website (I don't recall which chapter) where
they had links to blanket patterns. I think it was you (maybe not) that
said you preferred not overly lacy because babies can get their little
fingers and toes caught in that, and I remember from that site that they
patterns they showed were like that -- because they would often go to little
ones who had tubes and cords and all, they preferred blankets that didn't
have a lot of lace, and they linked to some very nice, but not too lacy
blanket patterns.

So, to make a long story short (or longer, whatever I think you could
perhaps find something at the projectlinus.org site, or at one of the links
from there.

Karen in MN

Old November 16th 03, 04:07 PM
Janise Ross

Thanks, Kirsten. I've seen this before, but have forwarded your message to
myself to study later.

Janise

Old November 16th 03, 04:08 PM
Janise Ross

Thanks, Melody. After I eliminated the pattern I bought, I did think of
making a basket weave pattern. I have forwarded your rendition of it to
myself to study later.

Janise

e.rogers.com...

Old November 16th 03, 04:12 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Janise,

I've used my stitch that I used for mittens and knit an afghan from that, works
up with no holes. If you want I'll send you the pattern stitch. I also like
Melodies idea of the basketweave too.

Have you received my last two emails?

Hugs,

Nora
Old November 16th 03, 04:15 PM
Janise Ross

Hi Karen,
I had forgotten about Project Linus. I'll have to go to the website and
check it out. Thanks for your help.

Janise

"Karen MN" wrote in message
[...]

In search of Tristan Brooks Elizabethan Scissor Fob Pattern Caroline Needlework 2 September 4th 04 08:12 PM
star pattern search cozy Quilting 4 January 30th 04 09:25 PM
Copyrights and Pattern Usage [email protected] Sewing 0 November 28th 03 05:08 PM
pattern search MinnieNeedles Sewing 10 October 8th 03 03:43 PM
pattern search - shrug to wear with a wedding dress Karen Yarn 21 August 10th 03 09:23 PM