National Counted Cross Stitch Show

Old June 11th 04, 02:23 AM
Margaret

Default National Counted Cross Stitch Show

Hi everyone,

Went to the NCCSS in Rockome last weekend and after seeing the beautiful work
exhibited I realized that, even though I've been stitching for many years, I am
truly a novice stitcher.

The marketplace was terrific and I added quite a bit to my stash.

One of the things I bought was Petite Very Velvet thread distributed by Rainbow
Gallery. Has anyone worked with velvet thread? What was your experience with
it?

Thanks.

Margaret in Illinois
Old June 11th 04, 02:30 AM
Lucille

I'm using it right now for the first time. So far I've had absolutely no
problem with it. I have been using short pieces, about 18", and so far I
haven't noticed any fraying except where I had to rip some stitches and just
pulled them out without too much care. It's coming out quite nice and looks
more like a velour than a velvet, but it's very good for where I'm using it.

Lucille

Old June 11th 04, 06:08 AM
Jacqueline

Haven't worked with any velvet thread yet, but I have some in brown that I'm
considering using for the heads of cattails on a CQ piece. I think it would
really look striking.

--
Jacqueline
Carmichaels PA

Old June 11th 04, 06:08 AM
Jacqueline

What kind of stitch are you doing with it?

--
Jacqueline
Carmichaels PA

Old June 11th 04, 02:16 PM
Lucille

I'm using it on 18 to the inch needlepoint canvas, using the basketweave
stitch.

I'm not sure how it would work for surface embroidery.

Lucille

Old June 11th 04, 09:30 PM
anne

Margaret said
One of the things I bought was Petite Very Velvet thread distributed by Rainbow
Gallery. Has anyone worked with velvet thread? What was your experience with
it?

I was introduced to velvet thread for a needlepoint (aka canvas) project. As
you work with the thread, it will wear away around the eye of the needle. This
means that you can't expect to slide the needle to get more usabililty from the
'tail.'

I'm hoping someone else can explain that phenom better than I did.

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old June 11th 04, 09:55 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

You explained it very well. Actually, this happens to a lot of threads,
especially when using longer lengths and leave a short tail. But with a
thread such as your describing, it would (like chenille) happen much
sooner. In fact, chenille thread deteriorates so readily it is normally
couched.

Dianne

Margaret said

Old June 11th 04, 10:10 PM
Lucille

I'm using the velvet thread right now and I'm not having a problem with it
wearing away like that. Of course I'm being very careful not to tug too
hard and I'm using shorter than usual lengths of thread. At least shorter
for me--about 18".

Lucille

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
You explained it very well. Actually, this happens to a lot of threads,
especially when using longer lengths and leave a short tail. But with a
thread such as your describing, it would (like chenille) happen much
sooner. In fact, chenille thread deteriorates so readily it is normally
couched.

Dianne

Margaret said