Slipping walking foot

Old May 23rd 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Default Slipping walking foot

Any suggestions on how I can stop my walking foot from slipping when I
hit an especially bumpy seam? I'm putting the binding on a miniature
butterfly quilt that is very thin. I'm finding it difficult to keep
the walking foot on a good quarter inch seam. Every little bump of a
seam sends it sliding off right or left. What am I doing wrong? Is
there any way to correct it?

It doesn't help that this is one of those times when I'm fairly woozy
in the head, balance stuff going on, and my hands tend to be less than
stable. Between my general instability and the slippery foot, I can't
tell you how many seams I've had to redo in this project.

Sunny

Old May 23rd 07, 07:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

time to hit the hay, Sunny.
no point in sewing when ya get like that.
btdt, aint worth the aggro.
night night, sweet dreams.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Sunny" wrote...

Old May 23rd 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

First of all you might try using a 'jeans' needle. They are extremely
sharp and have a long point, so that they pierce 'bumps' more easily.
But, my main solution would be to slow right down at bumps, even hand
turn the wheel. If it is a small quilt, this won't add much to your
time, and will reduce your frustration level correspondingly!
..
In message .com,
Sunny writes
Any suggestions on how I can stop my walking foot from slipping when I
hit an especially bumpy seam? I'm putting the binding on a miniature
butterfly quilt that is very thin. I'm finding it difficult to keep
the walking foot on a good quarter inch seam. Every little bump of a
seam sends it sliding off right or left. What am I doing wrong? Is
there any way to correct it?

It doesn't help that this is one of those times when I'm fairly woozy
in the head, balance stuff going on, and my hands tend to be less than
stable. Between my general instability and the slippery foot, I can't
tell you how many seams I've had to redo in this project.

Sunny

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 23rd 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MaleQuilter

On May 22, 11:17 pm, Sunny wrote:
Any suggestions on how I can stop my walking foot from slipping when I
hit an especially bumpy seam? I'm putting the binding on a miniature
butterfly quilt that is very thin. I'm finding it difficult to keep
the walking foot on a good quarter inch seam. Every little bump of a
seam sends it sliding off right or left. What am I doing wrong? Is
there any way to correct it?

It doesn't help that this is one of those times when I'm fairly woozy
in the head, balance stuff going on, and my hands tend to be less than
stable. Between my general instability and the slippery foot, I can't
tell you how many seams I've had to redo in this project.

Sunny

I've had the slipping walking foot problem and it sure was
frustrating.

I've solved the problem by moving the needle position as far right as
it would go. This lets both feed dogs have the same amount of fabric
to grab.

On one project, changing the needle position did not completely solve
the problem. I reduced the presser foot pressure slightly and the
prolem was solved.

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter

Old May 23rd 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Pfilomina Pfaff does not mess with a walking foot. She
has integrated dual feed. No slip, no wobbles. Food for
thought if you even want a new SM.
PAT in VA/USA

Old May 25th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Geert Spitaels - Hove

I think the walking foot is unstable because it has to go "up hill" near
every bump. Keeping the foot horizontal should solve your problem. This is
how I would do it : when you get to a bump you stop, needle down, and lift
the wf. You put something under the part of the foot that is BEHIND the
needle, a small ruler will do the job perfectly. Then you do a few stitches
and reposition the ruler etc. untill you are over the bump. If you own a
Bernina, look into the little toolbox. It comes with a tool made of 3 sheets
of plastic attached at 1 end. If you never knew what it was for... well, try
it here (1, 2 or three layers). Hope it works, good luck.

Veerle from Belgium

"Sunny" schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old May 25th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Geert Spitaels - Hove wrote:
I think the walking foot is unstable because it has to go "up hill" near
every bump. Keeping the foot horizontal should solve your problem. This is
how I would do it : when you get to a bump you stop, needle down, and lift
the wf. You put something under the part of the foot that is BEHIND the
needle, a small ruler will do the job perfectly. Then you do a few stitches
and reposition the ruler etc. untill you are over the bump. If you own a
Bernina, look into the little toolbox. It comes with a tool made of 3 sheets
of plastic attached at 1 end. If you never knew what it was for... well, try
it here (1, 2 or three layers). Hope it works, good luck.

Veerle from Belgium

Not got a Bernina, but that little gadget sounds very makable from
template plastic - three litle strips, a hole at one end of each, and
then somthing to join them together. Very easy, I'll make one now!

You could also use a plastic plant label, though those are thicker.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old May 25th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...&criteria=jean
Sounds like this little gadget. Never used one myself -
has anyone else? Any reviews?

--

Cheryl

"Sally Swindells" wrote
in message ...
: Geert Spitaels - Hove wrote:
: I think the walking foot is unstable because it has to
go "up hill" near
: every bump. Keeping the foot horizontal should solve
your problem. This is
: how I would do it : when you get to a bump you stop,
needle down, and lift
: the wf. You put something under the part of the foot
that is BEHIND the
: needle, a small ruler will do the job perfectly. Then
you do a few stitches
: and reposition the ruler etc. untill you are over the
bump. If you own a
: Bernina, look into the little toolbox. It comes with a
tool made of 3 sheets
: of plastic attached at 1 end. If you never knew what it
was for... well, try
: it here (1, 2 or three layers). Hope it works, good
luck.
:
: Veerle from Belgium
:
: Not got a Bernina, but that little gadget sounds very
makable from
: template plastic - three litle strips, a hole at one end
of each, and
: then somthing to join them together. Very easy, I'll make
one now!
:
: You could also use a plastic plant label, though those are
thicker.
:
: --
: Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
: http://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

Old May 25th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy

I have one (from TSWLTH) - a little different shape (double ended with one
end thicker than the other (to allow for size of "bumps") and a bend
between so you can grab it more easily, but same theory.... I've heard it
called a "Humpy-Bumper" and also "Jean-A-Ma-Jig". I LOVE IT! My Viking
will sew through just about anything - but I had trouble getting it up/down
over the hump without skipping stitches. Then I got one of these - never a
problem since. Put it behind the "bump" to get it up on the bump itself,
and then one you're there, take it off, reverse its direction (open end
toward the needle from the front) and move it to the front edge of the
bump. Take enough stitches so that the presser foot clears the bump. VOILA!
Well worth the money ($3.50!!!) TSWLTH often has notions wall at 50% off,
too!

ME-Judy (whose family is on the "short" side and who's never met a pair of
jeans that didn't need to be re-hemmed)

Old May 25th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Wow, I'm getting me one of those "ma-jig" things. I'm going to order
it right now. Thanks. Had no idea such a thing existed.

Sunny

Walking Foot Jack Schmidling Sewing 21 April 2nd 06 02:12 PM
walking foot Judy W Quilting 8 October 26th 04 02:39 AM
walking foot Becky Quilting 27 June 16th 04 04:03 PM
Walking Foot D&D Quilting 17 April 2nd 04 03:08 AM
Walking Foot Karlee in Kansas Quilting 1 December 13th 03 09:38 PM