fabric painting

Old May 25th 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Default fabric painting

Do any of you know about fabric paints? What kind of paint would be
permanent, washable and still leave fabric with a nice hand?
Anybody???? I have looked at the Dharma Trading Co. website, but I'd
rather hear from somebody I "know".

Sunny

Old May 25th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I did some fabric painting with Dharma dyes and used their 'thickener'
product. It gives rather blurry lines when changing colors- not for a sharp
crisp look. You can make the dyes runny or thicker to get a less
distinction when changing colors. I also used colors that were very intense
and different, so I didn't really get the blend I was going for that time.
Next time I would use more water or soak the fabric or something to blur the
edges where I changed colors. It was my first try and I enjoyed it as a
learning process and learned what I should not do. I was going for an
blurred English flower garden look and planned to MQ the flowers and leaves
to bring out the shapes, but didn't quite get that result in the fabric. I
guess I need to experiment more. Just about anything you do with dyes has a
positive outcome.... even if you need to chop it up to use it! Or applique
some flowers over the dyed area and use the blurry part for the less
distinct background??? The possibilities are endless!

ups.com...

Old May 25th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

I've been playing with Setacolor by Pebeo. The colors are bright and remain
true. Fabric hand remains unchanged. It's fun!

--
Bonnie
NJ
ups.com...

Old May 25th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

We never know just what you might be up to, Sunny, since I think you're the
one who asked about stretching something on canvas and calling it a quilt.
=) With that warning in my mind, do let me help you with success. Be sure
to allow yourself time to prepare your fabric as directed by the paint
maker. This is probably to wash the fabric and not use fabric softener in
the rinse. Also, many paints want you to use their 'medium' - which may
thin the paint to a well-behaved consistency or it may have some effect on
the longevity of the production. Good luck with your creation. Polly

"Bonnie NJ" wrote in message
link.net...
I've been playing with Setacolor by Pebeo. The colors are bright and
remain true. Fabric hand remains unchanged. It's fun!

--
Bonnie
NJ
ups.com...

Old May 25th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Bonnie NJ wrote:
I've been playing with Setacolor by Pebeo. The colors are bright and remain
true. Fabric hand remains unchanged. It's fun!

I've got Setasilk by Pebeo, and have used them successfully on cotton.
There are gorgeous pictures, and some 'handy hints', especially on using
gutta so colours don't run, at:

http://www.silkartist.co.uk/silkartist.htm

Also

http://www.silkpainters-guild.co.uk/index2.html

is a lovely place to visit, with lots of advice on fabric painting.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old May 25th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Sally Swindells wrote:
Bonnie NJ wrote:
I've been playing with Setacolor by Pebeo. The colors are bright and
remain true. Fabric hand remains unchanged. It's fun!

I've got Setasilk by Pebeo, and have used them successfully on cotton.
There are gorgeous pictures, and some 'handy hints', especially on using
gutta so colours don't run, at:

http://www.silkartist.co.uk/silkartist.htm

Also

http://www.silkpainters-guild.co.uk/index2.html

is a lovely place to visit, with lots of advice on fabric painting.

Forgot to say - you just apply the seta-paints with a paintbrush, and to
set them you iron them. If you don't like what you've done you can rinse
it away (just don't iron first!) You can mix colours just like ordinary
paints.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old May 25th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry Starr[_2_]

I have used the Setacolor by Pebeo. It doesn't leave your fabric feeling
funny.

Sherry Starr

ups.com...

Old May 25th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Thanks for all the great advice and info. I also never know what I
might be "up to." LOL. For the present, I am mostly up to de-toxing my
sewing room and the downstairs bathroom. I am now facing what was
UNDER the carpet in my sewing room. Don't ask. And worrying that my
precious stash might have residual "fragrance" from the septic event
that has consumed our household since Sunday night. I can only say, if
you are in the middle of already doing renovation -- painting, tearing
up walls, putting down new carpet......DO NOT, under ANY
circumstances, allow your septic tank to back up and flood portions of
your house. I seriously feel that more discipline would have helped,
but the truth is that this was brought on by "repairs" to two leaking
sprinkler units and a leak in the sprinkler control box. Seems enough
water was allowed to run that it overwhelmed the drain field, filled
the septic to the brim and set us up for major problems. Then, it
rained.

Nevermind, yesterday I bought some adorable 30s prints and I'm working
on some minatures. But I have plans.........
oh yes, dear Polly, I have plans. EG