Kool ais found in Stockholm!

Old November 4th 03, 08:28 PM
Anna MCM

Default Kool ais found in Stockholm!

Hi!

I found Kool Aid in Stockholm, or even better, Kool Aid found me!
I was walking along Odengatan when I saw a shop window with a lot of
colorful stuff. I looked better and yes, a American shop!
I entered and looked around, searching for Kool Aid (you got me really
curious!). I had no idea of its shape and so I had to ask. Well, I just
had to buy a little package! Here it comes at about 1.25 USD a package.
Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost in the USA?
Since I not dye yarn Iīll use it just for making a drink. DH looked at
me quite suspicious when I told him about the dyeing story, but when I
reminded him that also tea is used for dyeing, he looked more
comfortable at it LOL

So, dear friends living on this side of the pond, if you need Kool Aid,
just drop me a note!

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old November 5th 03, 11:27 AM
CMM PDX2

Anna Maria wrote re Kool-Aid:

Here it comes at about 1.25 USD a package.
Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost in the USA?

Good grief!! Is this for the *little* packets, that each make a quart,
unsweetened??! Oyy... Um, in the US, normally those range from about 10 cents
per packet, on sale, at a nice, cheap grocery store; i.e., the kind I frequent.
g Up to around 15-18 cents in more expensive stores. In Portland, anyway.
(prices vary greatly across the US. I can remember a friend in Miami, Florida
turning green with envy at our cheaper food prices out here.) My lord, they
must be tacking on major import/customs charges!

Now, if it was the larger packets with sugar included, that make up a gallon,
the $1.25 sounds more reasonable.

But at that, even in the quantity to dye a pound, it might be cheaper than
dye... Just don't get hooked on it for drinking, Anna Maria, you could go
broke! vbg

And remind DH that coffee and saffron and turmeric are used for dyeing, too.
::snicker::

Monica
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
Old November 5th 03, 11:47 AM
Anna MCM

CMM PDX2 wrote:

Good grief!! Is this for the *little* packets, that each make a quart,
unsweetened??! Oyy... Um, in the US, normally those range from about 10 cents
per packet, on sale, at a nice, cheap grocery store; i.e., the kind I frequent.
g Up to around 15-18 cents in more expensive stores. In Portland, anyway.
(prices vary greatly across the US. I can remember a friend in Miami, Florida
turning green with envy at our cheaper food prices out here.) My lord, they
must be tacking on major import/customs charges!

Yes, a little package the size of a tea bag (more or less!). 10 SEK
here! Maybe they left the originary price label giving to it a new (very
convenient!) meaning...
I guessed right then that it sounded QUITE expensive...
I want just to add that I am not asking for money in case someone wants
me to buy them. It was just curiosity!

But at that, even in the quantity to dye a pound, it might be cheaper than
dye... Just don't get hooked on it for drinking, Anna Maria, you could go
broke! vbg

You can bet that! LOL

And remind DH that coffee and saffron and turmeric are used for dyeing, too.
::snicker::

Yes, and thatīs also the legendary origin of Risotto alla milanese
(saffron risotto): some saffron used by a painter (Leonardo maybe?) felt
in the rice he was cooking and the famous risotto was born :-)

Hugs

Anna Maria

Old November 5th 03, 02:00 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

In article ,
wrote..
Anna Maria wrote re Kool-Aid:

[...]

Wow, I can get it for 14 cents at Walmart, when I can get there,
otherwise, local groceries are 25 cents.
(yes, for little unsweetened ones)
Never have I gotten it for 10 cents.
Noreen

--
STRIP *tease* to email me.
Old November 5th 03, 02:23 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 21:28:20 +0100, Anna MCM wrote:

Here it comes at about 1.25 USD a package.
Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost in the USA?

I have found it on sale at 10 for a dollar, but that's uncommon. Normally
it varies between 4 and 6 packets for a dollar when not on sale, but I have
seen it as high as 3/$1!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old November 5th 03, 04:23 PM
NoraBalcer

Noreen,

Our prices are higher than Monicas on most everything. Even the store ads like
Kmart now have different prices, back in 1985 when I was out there the ads were
the same. She can get fresh picked raspberries for something like $1.25 a
quart, here I pay $3.75 for a half pint.

Hugs,

Nora
Old November 5th 03, 05:03 PM
CMM PDX2

Anna Maria wrote:

CMM PDX2 wrote:

Good grief!! Is this for the *little* packets,

snip

Yes, a little package the size of a tea bag (more or less!). 10
SEK here! Maybe they left the originary price label giving to it
a new (very convenient!) meaning...
I guessed right then that it sounded QUITE expensive...

*Oh* yeah. Yeeks. You betcha.

Well, if anyone really wants to get into dyeing with food dyes, they can always
just find a local source of whatever product you use in Europe to tint frosting
for cakes. eg Presumably there's something like our cake decorating supply
sources over here in the US? I've read they're more concentrated anyway, so you
get better bang for your buck. All you have to do is add white vinegar, as they
don't have the citric acid that Kool-Aid contains.

Yes, and thatīs also the legendary origin of Risotto alla
milanese (saffron risotto): some saffron used by a painter
(Leonardo maybe?) felt in the rice he was cooking and the
famous risotto was born :-)

LOL!! My oh my, you never know *what* you'll learn on rcty. Very interesting,
even if only legendary. Hmm...reminds me, if I'm remembering right, wasn't part
of Marco Polo's family involved in the saffron trade?? Very, very lucrative in
those days!!

Hee...see how the minds can bounce? From Kool-Aid to Leonardo (maybe) to Marco
Polo. Next you know, we'll be onto something about textiles in China!

And Noreen--we've got the Winco grocery chain out here in the PNW. (Used to be
Cub, not that that's probably any more familiar. g) Lovely low prices. Mike
drank Kool-Aid by the gallon, and we'd frequently get it on sale, 10 for a
dollar. Sometimes even 8 cents per packet!

Helen - 3/$1? For *Kool-Aid*?! I'm considering fainting!!

But Nora's right, Noreen - food is cheap out here. Not only do Oregon and
Washington produce a heckuva lot of foods themselves, we're also close to
California, remember. All with some of the best farming land in the country.
And Portland's one of the biggest shipping ports/rail freight points on the
left coast, even though we're 100 miles inland. (the Columbia is a *deep*
river. Portland grew as big as it is because it's the last point on the
Willamette at which they can get big ships. whether the clippers of the 1800's,
or modern-day tankers. there's always some big grain ship docked where the
river goes right through downtown.) We're also conveniently located next to the
biggest east/west pass in the area through the Cascade Mtns., too. So, fish,
meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, dairy, *and* grain - eastern OR/WA are big grain
producers - are all more or less 'local.'

Although if you're a mushroom nut, you almost literally have to beat other
mushroom hunters off in the forests when you're gathering. g Or pay $$ for
more than the common field mushrooms. We export most of our mushrooms like
morels to Japan!

On the other hand, Japanese import cars are kinda 'local', too. ::snicker::
That's another thing you can see acres of, in huge parking lots down by the
docks...

Ok, so I didn't get to China, but I got a mention of Japan in here! ::laughing
at self::

Monica
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
Old November 5th 03, 06:27 PM
Karen

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
wrote..

Monica, I AM familiar with CUB, we had them in WI... but they're
not down here.
Our big chain is Kroger, and there I can get them for 12
cents,{on sale}
Here, FoodLion and HGHills, both expensive, as I said, 25 cents
for KoolAid... sometimes they have Wylers and FlavorAid, and
those run 15 cents on sale, and 19 to 21 cents regularly.
And, because TN has no state income tax, we pay HIGH sales tax,
and it's on EVERYTHING.
(WI was only 5 1/4 % and that was ONLY on NON-food)
{but we had HUGE property taxes there... one 'sin' exchanged for
another, I guess}
Hugs,
Noreen

I have to say, that's one big plus for Minnesota, there is no sales tax on
clothing or shoes -- between that and Mall of America, it brings a lot of
shoppers across the border.

Our sales tax is now 6-1/2%, but it varies on things -- example, downtown
Minneapolis fast food is subject to a 10% sales tax (I think it's still
paying for a stadium or something -- once those are imposed, they never go
away). When I moved here, I worked downtown and one day ran out to grab
something to bring back to my desk for lunch. I was in a hurry, only had a
couple of bucks on me, and didn't want to take the time to go to the cash
machine. I ran to McDonalds, ordered a burger and fries, figuring that at
6-1/2% tax, I had enough cash -- and when it came time to pay, I found out
about the 10% sales tax, and I ended up short. I had to give them back my
fries.

I started bringing my lunch after that.

Karen in MN