Empty Spools Seminar

Old July 13th 03, 10:57 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Default Empty Spools Seminar

In article ,
M. Wetmore wrote:

Hi All:

I got inspired to sign up for next year's Empty Spools seminar at
Asilomar. The first two seminars are booked solid!

So, I have narrowed my choices down to:

Louisa L. Smith
Strips ‘n Curves Class

This lady is a HOOT! She is very fun and that is a cool quilt pattern.
For those of you who remember the missing-in-action AlsoKim, she did a
table runner and a snake quilt with this pattern.

Jean Wells Keenan
Radiant New York Beauties

I haven't take her class but I've seen her on Simply Quilts :-) She was
just on last week in fact. She's the lady that started the Sisters
outdoor quilt show - not that that says anything about her teaching....

or
Judy B. Dales
Fabric Fantasies

I didn't take her class when she came to our guild, but the ladies who
did liked her a lot and some neat projects came out of the workshop.

Has anyone taken a class from any of these teachers. I really would
like to get some feedback before I sign up for one of the seminars. I
would hate to end up in a week long class with a bad teacher (even
though I doubt they would hire a bad teacher).

You know, if you need a tour of the shops near Asilomar or help finding
the Talbots outlet lemme know :-) I don't think you could go wrong with
a class by any of these ladies.

marcella
Old July 16th 03, 02:56 AM
nzl*

okay so i'm behind on finding this post but...
and just my 50cents worth ya understand.
as your friend could easily get a letter from the dr/hospital explaining
where she was...
if the class was overbooked, surely her place would be filled by one of the
overbookees on the day...
did the other overbookees get a refund as it was not they who screwed up?
they can not charge two people for one place in a class, much like you cant
charge two people rent on property when they overlap on dates of occupancy.
its illegal.
i'd check into that even at this late date. she certainly deserves a refund
at the very least and an apology from the organizers as well just for them
being idiots, geez.
sorry, my not so humble opinion.
open heart surgery surely isnt an avoidable predicted absense.
go figure...
jeanne*
--
RCTQ Houston 2004 Party Animals
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail....

"taria" wrote ...
| Several of my guild buddies used to go there. A couple
| of years ago one had to go in for open heart surgery
| and they refused to give her a refund, try to fill her
| space or meet her in any way. That kind of spoiled the
| fun of it. That is a lot of money to throw away
| (and then when the others went the class was overbooked!)
| Taria
|
| "M. Wetmore" wrote:
|
| Hi All:
|
| I got inspired to sign up for next year's Empty Spools seminar at
| Asilomar. The first two seminars are booked solid!
|
| So, I have narrowed my choices down to:
|
| Louisa L. Smith
| Strips 'n Curves Class
|
| Jean Wells Keenan
| Radiant New York Beauties
|
| or
| Judy B. Dales
| Fabric Fantasies
|
| Has anyone taken a class from any of these teachers. I really would
| like to get some feedback before I sign up for one of the seminars. I
| would hate to end up in a week long class with a bad teacher (even
| though I doubt they would hire a bad teacher).
|
| Mardi
|
| Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot
com.
| ____________________
|
| My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
| Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
| Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat
|
| --
| Please visit my web page at:
| http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm
|
| See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
| http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm

---

Old July 16th 03, 04:07 AM
taria

Its my understanding that there was nothing they would do to meet
her at any point. Paperwork from dr. and/or hospital didn't make
any difference. No refunds no cancellations no exceptions.
Even with her not there there was more than the
number that the paperwork said would to be in that particular
class. It was a disappointment that she couldn't attend but
then to pay so much too was a real shame.
Taria

Old July 16th 03, 07:10 AM
nzl*

still sounds very suspicious to me.
hers is somewhat a unique situation.
perhaps they'd have preferred her to attend and then drop in her tracks
while there and blow the whole class away for everyone.
then they'd have to refund or repeat the class.
so your saying they broke their end of the contract (falsely advertising X#
to a class) by overbooking and didnt even give a partial refund to those who
stayed?
the quilters didnt get the attention in the class that they paid for with
those extra people there.
overbooking in a hotel, a plane, a restaurant is refundable as its their
fault not the customers.
hmmmmmm, something stinks there.
jeanne*
--

| |

---

Old July 16th 03, 03:45 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

I am undoubtedly horning in where I don't belong. This has never stopped
me before :-) I haven't ever been to Asilomar. Many of my guild
friends go every year and have for a long time. I do know the lady who
coordinates these retreats. I have gone on other quilting retreats
including ones put on by the same lady. But, like I said, I haven't
been to Asilomar and am likely horning in, but then I don't get the
impression you've been there either so there you go...

Every retreat I have been to has a cancellation policy. It is clearly
stated on the registration form. Payment is due by a particular date
and in order for a refund cancellations must be made by a particular
date. Sometimes there is an intermediate date by which a partial refund
is made. There is nothing unusual about a policy like this. Other
retreats (other than quilting I mean), schools, summer camps and the
like all have a policy like this. There is nothing illegal (at least in
CA) about having a no refunds after a certain date policy.

Now, you could argue that it would be "nice" or "fair" or whatever to
grant a refund for extenuating circumstances. But, as someone who has
organized a guild retreat, let me assure you that one persons
extenuating circumstances is not anothers and sometimes keeping that
particular judgemental can of worms closed is simply the best and most
expedient policy.

If you don't like events with a non-refundable for cancellation after a
particular date policy, than don't go to them.

But is seems you made some rather harsh comments about a seminar that
works no differently than others and is certainly not operating outside
the law.

Actually here is their written policy: (from their website
www.emptyspoolsseminars.com)

Cancellation Policy
We strongly encourage the purchase of Cancellation and Travel
Insurance, usually purchased through your travel agent.

All cancelled reservations will have the following charges:
Now - 120 days $ 30.00 90 - 61 days $250.00
120 - 91 days $100.00 60 - 0 days No Refunds

(Due to teacher contracts and housing guarantees, cancellations cannot
be made after 60 days prior to session. You may transfer your
reservation to another person if unable to attend.) All returned checks
are subject to a $25.00 fee.

marcella

Old July 16th 03, 11:41 PM
nzl*

so shoot me.
i still think they broke the contract as well by overbooking. i believe the
overbooked people should have been given a partial refund as it was not
their fault but the fault of the organizers and they lost out on the
teacher/student ratio.
jeanne*
--
RCTQ Houston 2004 Party Animals
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail....
but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
i'll be there!!! will you???

"Marcella Tracy Peek"wrote ...
> [...]
| are subject to a $25.00 fee.
|
| marcella
|
| In article , "nzl*"
| wrote:
|
| still sounds very suspicious to me.
| hers is somewhat a unique situation.
| perhaps they'd have preferred her to attend and then drop in her tracks
| while there and blow the whole class away for everyone.
| then they'd have to refund or repeat the class.
| so your saying they broke their end of the contract (falsely advertising
X#
| to a class) by overbooking and didnt even give a partial refund to those
who
| stayed?
| the quilters didnt get the attention in the class that they paid for
with
| those extra people there.
| overbooking in a hotel, a plane, a restaurant is refundable as its their

---

Old July 17th 03, 05:15 AM
taria

I have 3 friend who were in a class that was overbooked.
(actually 4 but the one wasn't there) That's the only
bad story I've heard. Lots of folks go and lots have a
great time. I'm sure you will too Mardi.
Taria

"M. Wetmore" wrote:

Becoming somewhat alarmed by this thread, I called a woman I worked
with who has been at almost every Empty Spools Seminar they have ever
held. She told me she has never heard of anything like this story.
She said she once had a friend who came down with a nasty case of flu
right before the seminar and since they were able to put someone from
the wait list in her slot, she was given a fill refund minus a $40.00
processing charge. She also told me she has never been in a class
that was overbooked.

So, I guess it's worth the risk. I am really looking forward to a
class with Jean Wells.

I noticed today that the Radiant New York Beauties book I own was
actually written by her daughter Valori.

Mardi