warning: GREAT LAKES CLAY COMPANY (WILL STEAL FROM YOU)

Old March 16th 04, 08:48 PM
grizzzlyadam

Default warning: GREAT LAKES CLAY COMPANY (WILL STEAL FROM YOU)

My week started off normal... made my clay order from one of my two
usual suppliers but chose to order 1000 pounds from great lakes clay
co. They say they can get you a freight order in 3 days and make
special arrangements so it doesn't show up frozen(problem in north
midwest winter) SO ANYWAY THE PROBLEM CAME FROM THE FREIGHT
COMPANY... GREAT LAKES CLAY SHIPPED MY ORDER THE SAME DAY... SO IT
SHOULD BE HERE WEDNESDAY OR THURSDAY... I GET A CALL FROM A FREIGHT
COMPANY 1 HOUR SOUTH OF ME WHERE MY WIFE ATTENDS COLLEGE... TELLING ME
THEY HAVE MY ORDER AND CAN'T BRING IT UNTIL FRIDAY.... OKAY SO HERE I
WAIT, NOW THEY CALL AND SAY THEY CAN'T BRING IT UNTIL TUESDAY OF THE
FOLLOWING WEEK... I SAY OKAY I'LL JUST CANCEL MY CLASSES MONDAY AND
TUESDAY AND RESUME WEDNESDAY. NOW HE CALLED ME TODAY AND DOESN'T HAVE
A "SMALL ENOUGH TRUCK FOR MY AREA" CAN I WAIT AROUND UNTIL THURSDAY
AND IF NOT IT'LL BE NEXT WEEK.... OKAY! I GUESS I JUST TELL ALL MY
STUDENTS NO CLASS THIS WEEK BECAUSE UHHH.... I BEGAN THINKING WELL IS
THIS FREIGHT COMPANY HEATED OR AM I GONNA GET THIS SHIPMENT FROZEN...
SO I CALLED THE FREIGHT COMPANY BACK AND ASKED IF THEIR WAREHOUSE IS
HEATED HE SAID OH NO WAY!! SO I CALLED GREAT LAKES CLAY AND ASKED WHAT
CAN I DO IT'S BEEN 10 DAYS RIGHT NOW AND IT'S POSSIBLY GOING TO BE
ANOTHER 7 AND THE MAN FROM THEIR FREIGHT COMPANY EVEN OFFERED ME TO
GET A HOLD OF A TRUCK AND DRIVE TO THEIR COMPANY AND PICK IT UP (WHICH
I THOUGHT WAS THE MOST RUDE SOLUTION HE COULD THINK OF SINCE IT COSTS
OVER $120 TO SHIIP WET CLAY) SO GREAT LAKES CLAY TELSS ME THERE'S
NOTHING THEY CAN DO AND NEXT TIME THEY WON'T USE THAT COMPANY TO SHIP
MY CLAY, BUT AS FAR AS WAITING 2 WEEKS FOR MY ORDER OF A 1000 POUNDS
OF FROZEN SOLID CLAY... I GET TO CANCEL ANOTHER WEEKS CLASSES AND WAIT
FOR IT TO SHOW UP AND THEN WAIT FOR IT TO THAW... SO I CALL MY OTHER
SUPPLIER NOT ONE STATE AWAY BUT IN FLORIDA AND THEY SHIPPED ME 1000
POUNDS OF CONE 6 3 DAYS AS PROMISED AND I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN MY
SHIPMENT FROM GREAT LAKES CLAY COMPANY AND IF I WANT TO CANCEL MY
ALREADY PAID FOR ORDER THEY'RE GOING TO SUBTRACT $240 DOLLARS FOR
SHIPPING AND 15% RESTOCKING FEE FOR SOMETHING I DON'T EVEN HAVE... I
LIKE THE PRODUCT FROM THIS COMPANY BUT I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH
THESE PEOPLE OR PEOPLE LIKE THEM... THE VERY COMPUTER I'M TYPING ON IS
A PIECE OF JUNK AND WARRANTYS AND CUSTOMER SERVICE PEOPLE ALL COMPLETE
FRAUDS... THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WE ALL NEED TO LOOK OUT FOR THEY'LL
CASH YOUR CHECK, CHARGE YOUR CARD, OR TAKE YOUR CASH AND DON'T CARE
NOTHING ABOUT THEIR WORD, OR BUSINESS ETIQUETE OR PROBABLY EVEN KNOW
THE WORD.... IN A TIME WHERE THE ECONOMY IS STRUGGLING EVEN THE BIG
GUYS ARE STRUGGLING SO BE CAUTIOUS BEFORE THEY PAY THEIR BILLS WITH
YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY..... WE POTTERS WORK WAY TOOOOO HARD FOR WHAT
WE'RE PAID DON'T STEAL FROM US ESSPECIALLY WHEN WE'RE OUT OF CLAY... 2
WEEKS OFF MY SCHEDULE HAS MADE ME A LITTLE IRRITABLE..... THANX FOR
THE VENT SESSION..... POWER TO THE PEACEFUL
Old March 16th 04, 09:50 PM
D Kat

I can understand why you are shouting..... This not a reputable company if
this is how they are treating your order. Did you pay for the order with a
credit card? If so call the card company and tell them the issue. The will
stop payment. Report the company. It actually does work. It may take a
while but it is well worth the effort. We wrote a letter to the local
prosecutor and the company that we thought was pulling a scam was dealt with
and we got our money back. The point is that if you don't fight back you
enable these people. There is no way that you should have to accept damaged
goods (frozen clay is NOT the same item that you ordered).

DKat

om...

Old March 16th 04, 09:53 PM
tony

Griz,
Sorry to hear about your troubles. thanks for the heads up with this
company. I don't think I will be giving them any of my business. Too bad
you couldn't order C.O.D. I bet it would have made it there fast then!
Take care..
Tony

--
http://tonyolsen.com/up/

Old March 17th 04, 02:24 PM
Marty Kenny

I'm sorry about Grizz's problem.

On the other hand I have dealt with Great Lakes for many years without a
problem. When I bought my kiln, they sent an installer free of charge. The
installer was not part of our bargain, but he was still free.

If you want to try a clay before you order it, they will send you 6 lbs just
for the cost of ups. They have quality clays that for me have always fired
well.

Before you cut them off, give it a thought. One LOUD semi anonymous
complaint over the internet isn't enough for me to cut off a proven
supplier.

Marty
--
Dundalk is in Co. Louth.
If you want to reach me use:

in article , tony at

Old March 17th 04, 03:32 PM
grizzzlyadam

i did learn something out of ordering through these people.... debit
cards are nice since you're not spending money you don't have, but the
"small guy" has more power with the backing of VISA's attorneys and
insurance... and I'm not a very fun person to be around when I've run
out of supplies..
(P.M.S. = POTTER.MISSING.SUPPLIES)

Old March 17th 04, 09:52 PM
www.hussydesigns.com

I fail to see how any of this is Great Lakes' fault. They shipped
your order when they said they would, the frieght company is at fault
here, not your supplier.

As to GL's request of restocking/shipping fees to cancel the order, I
think that's completely reasonable. You're talking about a thousand
pounds of product. Do you think it costs them nothing to have it
picked up and then delivered back to them? Do you think it just
magically flies back up on the shelves in the warehouse all by its
lonesome? Nope, people have to do this and people aren't free either.
This business has to survive just like any of us do. I feel it's
grossly unfair to place blame for this mishap on the supplier's
shoulders. Hell, they even said they'd not use this freight company
again, what more do you expect them to do? Take a massive loss
because the delivery service screwed up? Why on earth should they do
that?

Great Lakes didn't steal a damned thing from you and if you're not
careful you could get cited for libel if they decide to take that
path. The freight company apparently has a touch of incompentence and
as such your clay was delayed, frozen, classes were canceled etc.
Blame them, not Great Lakes.

And, just for the record, I've never ordered a thing from Great Lakes
in my life nor do I work for them or know them. I'm just a fellow
artist who's sick to death of suppliers getting shafted due to
circumstances beyond their control.

Old March 17th 04, 10:39 PM
Eddie Daughton

I'm in full agreement with hussydesigns mail, Great Lakes had nowt to do
with it, apart from using a delivery service who turned out to be w&*%^rs in
your area. There's lots of problems that affect even guys who drive trucks,
particularly if they are small operators. Dunno "let the buyer beware" is
always a good way to go.... Using local suppliers is normally best but
sometimes you need to go further afeild..... Feels like Great Lakes were
stuck between the devil + the deep blue sea, after all would you like to
take delivery of a batch of clay that had been frozen on a voyage that you
weren't even to know about... (the next person to get the clay).....
When they comes at you with negative, come back with all the positive you
can, either they'll get the idea and you can grin at easch other or you'll
confuse the ass off the *******s......
Love and Hot KIlns
Eddie
ps i live in UK + don't even know where Great Lakes is (tho i presume it's
near Chicargo)

Old March 18th 04, 04:08 AM
Slgraber

after 25 years in manufactureing i've known it IS the fault of the supplier to
NOT get a product to the customer on time. HE selected the shipping
subcontractor(s) and HE is responsible for getting the product delivered to the
customer within the agreed on terms. HE states the lead time to be expected
for delivery of the product.

he cheaped out on the selection of the shipping carrier. he chose not to use a
reliable carrier. you likely paid top shipping fees for sub par performance.

at a past company we've shipped products to CAT, John Deers, Ingersol Rand and
incured pentalty fees for late deliveries. my curent house ships to home
depot, lowes, wall mart. same deal. we've simply learned you don't DO late
shipments! it's common place anymore if anyone wants to stay in business.

rant & rave on the internet. we take the info & use it or not. BUT i suggest
you inform the supplier that you posted such on the internet and tell them you
feel some level of compensation is in order. tell them their job is not done
just because it was shipped, because it certainly was not delivered per the
original order's agreement (NOT frozen).

tell them the impact of loosing two weeks of classes, and their impact of
loosing a serious pottery customer for life. i know aardvark here in santa ana
california has delt with me quickly & effectively on one albiet small issue
that sure stopped any "negative internet comments" that i might have done
otherwise. their perfomance in getting things right & making things right sure
keeps me as a customer with them!

steve

Old March 18th 04, 06:45 AM
grizzzlyadam

(www.hussydesigns.com) wrote in message . com...
[...]

OKAY JUDGE JUDY!!! I'LL TELL YOU THROUGH THAT WHOLE ORDEAL, I NEVER
ONCE SAID ANYTHING NASTY TO THOSE PEOPLE, I WAS POLITE, AND WORKED
WITH THEM THE WHOLE TIME, AND AGREE IT'S THE FREIGHT COMPANY WHO IS
SCREWING UP THEIR REPUTATION NOT ME!!! BUT AS FAR AS WHO SHOULD BE
LIABLE FOR THIS CRAP... GREAT LAKES CLAY COMPANY PICKED A FREIGHT
COMPANY THAT COULDN'T DELIVER... SO THEN GREAT LAKES MAKES FALSE
ADVERTISEMENT ... I DIDN'T ORDER FROZEN CLAY !!! I ORDERD MOIST CLAY,
AND FOR THE RECORD, IT'S IN PRINT IN THEIR CATALOG "WE WILL MAKE
SPECIAL ARRANGEMENTS TO GET YOUR CLAY TO YOU, IN THE WINTER, SPEEDY
WITHOUT FREEZING... AND WHAT'S UP YOUR ASS ANYWAY??? IF YOU DON'T WORK
FOR GREAT LAKES CLAY THEN YOU MUST BE LOOKING TO STIR UP TROUBLE...
SEE THAT'S THE WHOLE DAMN PROBLEM TO BEGIN WITH... IF THOSE ASS HOLES
WOULD HAVE SENT ME MY STOCK ON TIME INSTEAD OF HAVING ME SIT AROUND AN
EXTRA 10 DAYS I WOULD BE IN MY STUDIO WORKING AND NOWHERE NEAR THIS
COMPUTER TALKING ABOUT JIVE ASSES LIKE YOU SPENDING TOO MUCH TIME ON
YOURCOMPUTER WANTING TO TALK **** ABOUT WHAT YOU KNOW NOTHING
ABOUT.... BUT IT'S BEEN FUN... WAS HOPING I'D HAVE SOME IGNORANT
OVERLY OPINIONATED FOOL TO POKE AT.... (TO EVERYONE WHO THIS HAS
NOTHING TO DO WITH..... GO BACK TO WORK) HEE HEE HA HO
Old March 18th 04, 07:24 AM
Uncle John

SCREWING UP THEIR REPUTATION NOT ME!!! BUT AS FAR AS WHO SHOULD BE

It would appear to me that the grizzzly is an appropriate name for this
grizzler.

He is taking pottery classes so I would presume that he is in business in
some way. His business skills appear to be lacking as he obviously did not
plan ahead for his supplies. He should never have been out of stock and
should have allowed for all eventualities. It is his fault that he could
not take the classes not the suppliers. Just bad business sense and
planning on his part. Why didn't he buy in and stock up earlier on when
freezing wasn't a problem? A 1000 lb clay order isn't a biggy

Because he was unable to plan ahead and suffered some sort of loss he has
looked round to blame somebody else than himself. He should have ordered
clay once he got down to a certain level and should never have run out.

John W