3D Modeling tool for diamonds and rings on a website.

Old November 17th 04, 02:30 AM
Paul Krush

Default 3D Modeling tool for diamonds and rings on a website.

I wrote a dynamic diamond and ring modeling tool that's free to use,
and works in a web page.

It lets you model most diamonds in 3D, loose or with simple tiffany
style rings. You can compare 2 stones or rings at a time. Being 3D you
can view, zoom, or pan from any angle. It lets you pick the carat or
mm sizes of the stone, as well as the ring size, # of prongs, and
stone height.

It's kind of neat because you can make all these changes on the fly.
Meaning you can change the model with a slider bar. It's like a piece
of rubber.

It's at http://www.RingHunt.com

Let me know what you think of this software. Is this useful to you?

Thank you for testing it, and any input you can give me.

I will be adding basket and bezel heads. It already does 3 stones
rings, but I turned it off. A 3 stone ring with tiffany heads for all
3 stones would look pretty dorky!

Emerald cuts with 2 rings is messed up. I forgot to fix that. I might
add an Asscher to the list.

I also will be upgrading the weight estimating soon so it takes the
stones depth in account in the estimate.

What other ring models would you want?

In the summer 2005 I will providing a CAD output to models like this
though matching Rhino Plug-ins. Rhino is a CAD tool, you can see more
at www.rhino3d.com

Best Regards,

Paul Krush
Paul *AT* RingHunt.com
Old November 17th 04, 02:47 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:32:20 -0800, in (Paul Krush) wrote:

Let me know what you think of this software. Is this useful to you?

Paul,

while advertising posts on this group are not allowed, and your post references your own
web site, which might be construed as an ad, i've allowed it because your software is
actually kind of neat, and an on topic subject for the group.

As to the software itself is concerned, It's kind of cool. But in my opinion, still of
limited use for jewelers (like me and many readers of this group) other than yourself
for a couple reasons. Most importantly, if I'm trying to sell a customer a diamond and
ring, the last thing I want to do is go to a competitors web site to model the ring,
especially since the site doesn't really provide a means to output the generated
drawing, or a cad file, or the like. And the greyscale screen image on the web site is
fine for a pro to see, but a typical consumer may find it less enthralling. All in all,
your rhino plug in idea, such as that very cool little "trellis" generator, are much
more useful to me, since that can be used on my computer to generate, with just a hair
of additional imput, images that can be any scale, and in color if I wish, and I can
more easily print them out too.

Now, I'm unclear why you'd give us such cool toys for free (the rhino plug ins), but i'm
all for it if you're willing to do it. However, I'd guess that the web package would be
the more useful to YOU, simply because it's a tool the web surfing public can use right
at your site, making a purchase from you, more likely. The Rhino plug ins, by contrast,
are not tools consumers will be using directly.

By the way, just out of curiosity, one disclaimer you made on the rhino plug in for the
trellis designs is that the output is not a buildable form. I'm curious as to why?
Does the software just not completely check for proper joins, sealed edges, or the like?
Can the files be made buildable with minimum effort, or are the problems more
fundamental than that?

Thanks.

Peter Rowe
Old November 17th 04, 08:05 AM
Abrasha

Paul Krush wrote:

I wrote a dynamic diamond and ring modeling tool that's free to use,
and works in a web page.

It lets you model most diamonds in 3D, loose or with simple tiffany
style rings. You can compare 2 stones or rings at a time. Being 3D you
can view, zoom, or pan from any angle. It lets you pick the carat or
mm sizes of the stone, as well as the ring size, # of prongs, and
stone height.

In my browser (Firefox), all the stones look opaque. And the baguette shows up
without a shank.

It's kind of neat because you can make all these changes on the fly.
Meaning you can change the model with a slider bar. It's like a piece
of rubber.

It's at http://www.RingHunt.com

Let me know what you think of this software. Is this useful to you?

It's kind of cute, and I wonder what the usefulness of it is. It is not useful
to me. However, I would love to have the models of those stones. It would be
great if you could send them to me.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old November 17th 04, 04:35 PM
Jack Schmidling

"Paul Krush"

Let me know what you think of this software. Is this useful to you?

I can't imagine how it could be useful to anyone but you.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Gems, Sausage, http://schmidling.com

Old November 23rd 04, 05:54 PM
Paul Krush

Should I post more about online consumer jewelry modeling in this
group in the future?

Or is this wrong place to do so?

These are mostly just tests. I am working on CAD output, and nicer
looking models. It's very very hard to do this 3D work in a web page,
and have the result display with no user permission.

The site is geared directly for consumers. Buying a diamond on the
Internet is clearly the best way for a consumer, and this is just
another tool to help them. I've sold over three million dollars in
diamonds over the internet. It's still quite a pain for a person to
buy online, but this is slowly changing. To buy a ring is even harder,
it's impossible for large fancy stones to do it automatically. I'm
scratching an itch I have by writing this. It will be cluncky, and
people will have concerns. They will be addressed.

To a group of jewelers a person working hard to provide a way for
consumers to automatically model rings over the internet could be very
threatening, or just a good joke. But, as in the past, there is always
a way to provide something unique manually. A site on the internet
could never make a person feel special! The best will adapt, survive,
and thrive in this environment.

Thanks again for testing it,

Paul Krush

www.RingHunt.com
Old November 23rd 04, 06:02 PM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:54:55 -0800, in hõ (Paul Krush) wrote:

Should I post more about online consumer jewelry modeling in this
group in the future?

Paul,

While the primary topic for the group is considered to be the craft of jewelry making,
any related topics are also welcome, and it's undenyable that CAD and the web are not
only becoming, but have by now become, integral parts of the jewelry industry. Many of
us working as traditional craftspeople are now competing with merchandise either made
this way, or sold on the internet, and many of us are adapting by learning and including
these realms in our own work and marketing methods. As such, your activities are
directly of interest and on topic to this group. It should also be said that many of
use are, in one form or another, not just peers but competitors, and as you note in your
post, web sales of diamonds and jewelry poses a distinct challenge to the brick and
morter stores, so not all readers will welcome the appearance of tools such as yours.
And, as also noted by other posters replying to your previous post, your modelling tools
are mostly going to be of use to YOU, simply because they are on your web site. It's
not a tool we can use on our own sites, so easily, unless we manage to copy your code
and use it for ourselves, an option you didn't offer, and which wouldn't be so ethical
without such an offer. So when you asked whether we can find your modelling tool of use
to us, the lack of enthousiastic response should not be a surprise. That does not mean
we're not interested on other levels. And I, for one, would encourage you to keep the
group informed of your efforts. Some readers may not find it of interest, but others
will. And it's certainly considered on topic for this group.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry
Old December 1st 04, 02:33 AM
Rose

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:02:43 GMT, "Peter W.. Rowe,"
wrote:

[...]

Relating to this I do remember reading an article about jewelery
making. I do live near an art school and the article was about how
they are using 3D programs like Rhino to design their jewelery.

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html
"How in the heck did I ever get talked into this?"