about platinum

Old March 28th 04, 09:24 PM
extreme

Default about platinum

i have a few questions to clear out, correct me if im wrong, platinum and
white gold are two different things right? so is there such thing as pure
(100%) white gold then?

i have bough a ring, just a plain normal design, about 5mm i would say, im
not sure if it's white gold or platinum, it meant to be pure white gold but
im very confuse. the thing about it is that it does get out of shape after
some time, so.....??

and by the way, titanium rings are cheaper than platinum or white gold rings
right?

i hope u would provide me some information to help clearing me out here,
thanks a lot.

Old March 29th 04, 12:34 AM
Tom the Tinkerer

There is no pure white gold as white gold is an alloy of normal gold and
palladium eg 18k white gold is 750 parts gold and 250 parts palladium this
alloy is used for manufacture and setting while the other 18k white gold
alloy (750 parts gold, 150 parts nickel, 50 parts zinc and 50 parts copper)
is used to make parts like clasps etc because it is springier. it gets its
colouring from the white metals and a bit of additional strength as well.
thus ends todays lecture on alloys hope this helped. Platinum is a
completley different metal and your right about it being expensive i believe
it is the most expensive jewellery crafting metal although if anyone has
other data feel free to correct me. i cant honestly comment on the
comparitive prices of white gold and titanium though sorry

Nikki
(tom the tinkers jeweller wife)

Old March 29th 04, 12:34 AM
Heinrich Butschal

extreme wrote:

i have a few questions to clear out, correct me if im wrong, platinum and
white gold are two different things right? so is there such thing as pure
(100%) white gold then?

White Gold is an alloy of Gold with Nickel or Palladium and Copper.
Platinum is puer very weak so ist alloyed also for yewels.

i have bough a ring, just a plain normal design, about 5mm i would say, im
not sure if it's white gold or platinum, it meant to be pure white gold but
im very confuse. the thing about it is that it does get out of shape after
some time, so.....??

White Gold you can get in different purities, 18kt, 14 kt and 8 kt e.g.

and by the way, titanium rings are cheaper than platinum or white gold rings
right?

In most cases, true.

i hope u would provide me some information to help clearing me out here,
thanks a lot.

Hope that helps,
Heinrich

--
www.juwelen.online-boerse.org
www.meister-atelier.de
Old March 29th 04, 12:34 AM
Don T

Gold is yellow if pure. Always. It is never white, red, green, blue, pink,
purple, or polkadot. Platinum is Gray-white, tending to white, but NOT
white.

White Gold is an alloy. Platinum as jewelry is USUALLY an alloy. "White"
Gold is NOT white but it IS "whiter" than other Gold alloys. Both Platinum
and "White" Gold are generally plated with other PGM's ( Platinum Group
Metals ) to get them closer to what folks think of as "White" metal.

Titanium is less costly gram for gram than either Platinum or White Gold
but is harder to work with therefore the answer to your Titanium question
is --- maybe.

--

Don Thompson

"The only stupid questions are those that should have been asked, but
weren't, or those that have been asked and answered over and over, but the
answers not listened to." Peter Rowe

Old March 29th 04, 06:58 AM
Abrasha

extreme wrote:

i have a few questions to clear out, correct me if im wrong, platinum and
white gold are two different things right?

Yes. Platinum as used in jewelry is usually an alloy of platinum with iridium
(not always) and white gold is an alloy of gold with silver, copper and nickel
or palladium (and sometimes other metals) to make it look "white", but it is
not
really white.

so is there such thing as pure
(100%) white gold then?

No.

i have bough a ring, just a plain normal design, about 5mm i would say, im
not sure if it's white gold or platinum, it meant to be pure white gold but
im very confuse. the thing about it is that it does get out of shape after
some time, so.....??

and by the way, titanium rings are cheaper than platinum or white gold rings
right?

Usually!

http://www.abrasha.com
Old March 29th 04, 06:58 AM
Abrasha

Tom the Tinkerer wrote:

There is no pure white gold as white gold is an alloy of normal gold and
palladium eg 18k white gold is 750 parts gold and 250 parts palladium

Wrong, terribly wrong! 18K Paladium white gold is never only gold and
Palladium, but usually also Silver, Copper and somethimes Nickel and a few
other
metals. A typical 18 karat palladium containing white gold alloy might be, in
parts per thousand: Gold 750, Silver 40, Copper 40, Palladium 170

Check out the charts at the bottom of the page for various compositions of
Nickel and Palladium white gold alloys at
http://www.gold.org/jewellery/technology/alloys/

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old March 29th 04, 05:06 PM
Sarit Wolfus

Hi,
Speaking of white gold, I once read in an Israeli consuming forum a
warning about wearing white gold. They claim that the high percentage
of Nickel inside might penetrate the blood system and cause various
problems. I looked it up further and verified this claim (e.g.
http://www.gold.org/discover/sci_ind...000_28/roy.pdf). To stay
on the safe side, I try to avoid using white gold although I realize
that Palladium based white gold is probably safe. I refer customers
looking for white gold to these papers and to other jewelry designers.
I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts about using/wearing white gold.

Sarit Wolfus
http://sarit-jewelry.com
Old March 29th 04, 05:06 PM
Carl West

extreme wrote:
i have bough a ring, ... it meant to be pure white gold but
im very confuse. the thing about it is that it does get out of shape after
some time, so.....??

It looks like you have a common misconception: that 'pure' is always best in
all ways.
A pure, 24 karat, gold ring will be fairly soft, it will deform and scratch
easily. It's the addition of the other metals that makes it hard and strong
enough to stand up to use as jewelry.

Digression:
There's a used office furniture dealer in this area, "Gold's Furniture" and his
tag-line is "How can you wear out Gold? You can't." It always struck me as both
a lie and a disservice to jewelers everywhere.
--

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.
Old March 30th 04, 03:39 AM
Heinrich Butschal

Sarit Wolfus wrote:
Hi,
Speaking of white gold, I once read in an Israeli consuming forum a
warning about wearing white gold. They claim that the high percentage
of Nickel inside might penetrate the blood system and cause various
problems. I looked it up further and verified this claim (e.g.
http://www.gold.org/discover/sci_ind...000_28/roy.pdf). To stay
on the safe side, I try to avoid using white gold although I realize
that Palladium based white gold is probably safe. I refer customers
looking for white gold to these papers and to other jewelry designers.
I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts about using/wearing white gold.

This is only the half truth. Wearing nickel ist dangerous for allergic
reactions.
Wearing goldalloys with nickel ist not at all dangerous.
Alloys gold/nickel have charateristic of gold and not of nickel. Gold is
dominant here and not allergic.
Only jewels wich are cheap electro-plated (could be silver, brass ore
whitegold) very often, they have a layer of pure nickel underneath
electro-plated surface of rhodium or gold, they cause allegic reactions
if the top layer is worn out.
Nickel whitegold, only cleanly polished, has never caused an allergic
reaction within more than 25 years and thousands of yewels.

Best wishes,
Heinrich Butschal

--
www.schmuckfabrik.de
Old March 30th 04, 03:39 AM
extreme

thanks for everyone's information. if u were to make a guess, what do u
think my ring is? white gold or platinum? thanks.