Photos of the mosaic tile floor, plus a write-up.

Old April 12th 04, 05:12 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Photos of the mosaic tile floor, plus a write-up.

http://www.weeksfamily.net/dollhouse/mosaic.html

So...do you think I should grout the floor or leave it alone? I think
it's pretty as it is, but grouting would be more realistic, and would
give it a more finished look. I can't decide.

Cathy Weeks
Old April 12th 04, 07:45 PM
havana bill & holly

Cathy, If you MUST grout, why not use a very fine paintbrush & let a very
thin bead of whitish acrylic paint flow along the seams (do this on a
practice piece first to see if it "works" for you)? Keep a damp cloth handy
for "oopsies".
"Cathy Weeks" wrote

Old April 12th 04, 08:30 PM
Dawn

Cathy Weeks wrote:

http://www.weeksfamily.net/dollhouse/mosaic.html

So...do you think I should grout the floor or leave it alone? I think
it's pretty as it is, but grouting would be more realistic, and would
give it a more finished look. I can't decide.

I think grouting would give it a more finished look, but in this case it
might also highlight the irregularities in the miniature tiles. I'd try
a sample piece, make a coaster or something, and see how it looks.

Dawn

Old April 12th 04, 10:26 PM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
m...
http://www.weeksfamily.net/dollhouse/mosaic.html

So...do you think I should grout the floor or leave it alone? I think
it's pretty as it is, but grouting would be more realistic, and would
give it a more finished look. I can't decide.

Cathy Weeks

Very nice. I would use a bit of gray grout just for realism.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old April 13th 04, 01:40 PM
vrece

"Carol" wrote in message ...
"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
m...
http://www.weeksfamily.net/dollhouse/mosaic.html

You can try Mosaic Creator and render any image from tiles
Result image will be precalculation for preparing mosaic

http://www.aolej.com/mosaic
Old April 13th 04, 03:30 PM
betsyb

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
m...
http://www.weeksfamily.net/dollhouse/mosaic.html

So...do you think I should grout the floor or leave it alone? I think
it's pretty as it is, but grouting would be more realistic, and would
give it a more finished look. I can't decide.

Cathy Weeks

Cathy, another suggestion I was thinking about would be to add grout with
Tulip's fabric paint? Real fine point, better control and less clean up,
comes to mind as good selling points? The lead lines they sell for stained
glass projects might even be better? Now these come in various widths and
long strips.

Old April 13th 04, 10:19 PM
Cathy Weeks

"havana bill & holly" wrote in message ...
Cathy, If you MUST grout, why not use a very fine paintbrush & let a very
thin bead of whitish acrylic paint flow along the seams (do this on a
practice piece first to see if it "works" for you)? Keep a damp cloth handy
for "oopsies".

Reading between the lines, it seems like you'd prefer it ungrouted?

Cathy Weeks
Old April 13th 04, 10:23 PM
Cathy Weeks

"betsyb" wrote in message ...
"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
m...
http://www.weeksfamily.net/dollhouse/mosaic.html

So...do you think I should grout the floor or leave it alone? I think
it's pretty as it is, but grouting would be more realistic, and would
give it a more finished look. I can't decide.

Cathy Weeks

Cathy, another suggestion I was thinking about would be to add grout with
Tulip's fabric paint? Real fine point, better control and less clean up,
comes to mind as good selling points? The lead lines they sell for stained
glass projects might even be better? Now these come in various widths and
long strips.

I'd like to avoid lead. This dollhouse could conceivably go to a
child (especially if I take Carol's suggestion and donate it to a
Ronald McDonald house charity), and lead and children aren't a good
combination.

Paint worries me...I feel like if I use spackle, I have some way of
correcting mistakes. If I don't like the paint, it's permanant.

My main problem is that I *like* how it looks ungrouted. But I think
I *should* grout it in some way.

Cathy Weeks
Old April 14th 04, 01:27 AM
betsyb

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...
"betsyb" wrote in message

[...]

{This is not lead. It looks like it but its' nothing but paint and it's
plastic}

Paint worries me...I feel like if I use spackle, I have some way of
correcting mistakes. If I don't like the paint, it's permanant.

My main problem is that I *like* how it looks ungrouted. But I think
I *should* grout it in some way.

{Heck if you like it, leave it alone unless it really eats atcha!!}

Cathy Weeks