Reverse frogging???

Old February 1st 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
willi

Default Reverse frogging???

Hi...

I've tried to post this twice to no avail...so I'll try again...with
my luck they will all come up three days later...

I'm knitting Sally Melville's Favourite Summer Sweater from her Knit
Experience book. It basically is a garter stitch sweater with the
bottom portion of the sweater knit on two different size needles to
give a more open effect, and then just carries on in garter stitch
with the two smaller needles to the shoulders. I've finished the
back and now notice a mistake I made about four inches from the
beginning that I can't live with...arrgghh!

Is there anyway I can pull this piece out from the beginning as
opposed to the end? Can you unravel garter stitch from both ends? Can
you unravel any stitch from both ends? Am I just wishful thinking?

Thanks! )

Old February 1st 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
CHEX

Yes, it can be done. CUT the extra stitch and pull backwards from there
(two sections at first, then one). Then pick up the required amount of
stitches on your main back.and knit from there. You will be knitting DOWN
to your beginning so any decreases you made on t he way up will become
increases. You will not have the little loops to pick up when you pick up
the stitches, but it will not matter as long as you pick up the same side of
each stitch when you put the stitches back on your needle. I have just
done this on a piece and afterward had a difficult time trying to pick out
where I had done it. On the other hand, you could use a crochet hook and
bring the offending stitch all the way up the piece. Then just frog your
bind off and rebind off. It will not make any difference in the pattern
since it is all garter stitch.

Good luck.

Old February 1st 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Feb 1, 1:59 pm, "willi" wrote:
Hi...

I've tried to post this twice to no avail...so I'll try again...with
my luck they will all come up three days later...

I'm knitting Sally Melville's Favourite Summer Sweater from her Knit
Experience book. It basically is a garter stitch sweater with the
bottom portion of the sweater knit on two different size needles to
give a more open effect, and then just carries on in garter stitch
with the two smaller needles to the shoulders. I've finished the
back and now notice a mistake I made about four inches from the
beginning that I can't live with...arrgghh!

Is there anyway I can pull this piece out from the beginning as
opposed to the end? Can you unravel garter stitch from both ends? Can
you unravel any stitch from both ends? Am I just wishful thinking?

Thanks! )

I see that someone answered, which is not what I would have said. I
am afraid of reverse frogging. I have done it, and it has worked, but
it really makes me nervous.
Good luck!

Higs,
Katherine

Old February 1st 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article .com,
willi wrote:

I'm knitting Sally Melville's Favourite Summer Sweater from her Knit
Experience book. It basically is a garter stitch sweater with the
bottom portion of the sweater knit on two different size needles to
give a more open effect, and then just carries on in garter stitch
with the two smaller needles to the shoulders. I've finished the
back and now notice a mistake I made about four inches from the
beginning that I can't live with...arrgghh!

Is there anyway I can pull this piece out from the beginning as
opposed to the end? Can you unravel garter stitch from both ends?
Can you unravel any stitch from both ends? Am I just wishful thinking?

Theoretically, anything knitted can be fixed, somehow.

I'm not fond of reverse frogging; the worst part is the cast-on row
but it isn't fun elsewhere either even though logically it ought
to be easy. However, you may not have to frog the whole bottom
just to fix one stitch, especially since it's supposed to be open
and have varying stitch sizes.

What kind of error was it? Just an accidental purl? (easy fix)
A knit-2-together? (fairly easy) A dropped stitch? (easy enough)

Some kinds of errors you fix by cutting the stitch (or one near it)
and putting the yarn where it belongs, then mending it, either with
a short length of the same yarn (as if you had found two knots close
together) or, if it's wool, by spit-splicing it.

If the loose, lacy knit would make it really hard to make an invisible
mend, you could cut a stitch on the side and take the one row out
(putting the other stitches on yarn or other needles) and then fix the
error, and kitchener stitch the row back to the edge, then do the mend
where it won't show.

=Tamar
Old February 2nd 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

TAMAR you are brave ,
I did this several times and wasn`t happy ,,,
thus last time i saw the one unpurl feeling of that lone purl i just
embroidered a fakeknit over it [shh,,,] severl times i dropped a
whole line from bottom up [ i knit downwards ] Just now i am looking
at my entrelac hat , the rim needs to be more tight and this will need
a reverse frogging , wil try it later ,.,, brrr wool had angora in it
..
mirjam

Old February 11th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
willi

Sorry to have not responded sooner...we are on the road and do not
always have internet access.

I want to thank everyone that commented and gave me a push in the
right direction. I've decided I'm going to make up a swatch with an
error and practice to see if its something I would be able to
attempt...otherwise...well...I'm just learning right...practice makes
perfect. I really hate this knitting with two different size
needles...it seems impossible for me to get nice even stitches...so
frustrating for a closet perfectionist..but I will persevere... ;o)

Thanks, again