OT Homeschooling...

Old July 21st 03, 05:27 PM
Karlee in Kansas

Default OT Homeschooling...

I have a ton of questions on homeschooling and I've seen several posts from people that homeschool....

If you have the time to answer my silly questions, could you please message me on one of the following programs??

AIM: karlee6876
MSN:
Yahoo: karlee_brennan

TIA
Karlee in Kansas

--
Visit my web page!
www.angelfire.com/ks3/karlee/index.html

Old July 21st 03, 05:57 PM
Sjpolyclay

I have a ton of questions on homeschooling and I've seen several posts from
people that homeschool....

Karlee, I chose NOT to homeschool my kids because I figured we could do *much*
better academics at home...through the computer, etc...but what my kids REALLY
needed that I could NOT give them at home was the social experience of being in
"The Herd" and dealing with lots of people, many of whom don't love or even
like you. (we never did Day Care, so they didn't get it then). This is
something you have to know how to deal with if you want to live and work in the
world, even if you only go there once in a while... So they learned to be part
of the Large Experience AND we supplement the academics at home.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old July 21st 03, 08:38 PM
Christina Peterson

I home schooled my son in first grade, and had a very hard time because an
established routine does not come naturally or normally to me. And then I
was plagued with guilt because my son had an unusual learning pattern. It
took him a very long time to become verbal in speaking, and he couldn't
learn reading at all, nor could he the next year in school. Four months
(over summer) after they wanted to keep him back, he became the best reader
in his whole grade.

My step son is now being home school. His mother claims health reasons, but
he never has health problems here. I believe her reasons for home schooling
are to restrict what he learns, which is the worst possible reason to home
school. All of a sudden he's going from flirting with Ds to all As and Bs,
though he's spending only half the time (or less) on it. I do not believe
he learning as much as he should be, even if he is learning what's on the
test.

I am also concerned about social aspect. He is very large for his age, and
somewhat behind socially -- a bad combination. And his mother is a
disciplinarian and bully, so that he is inclined to obey rather than think
for himself, which again would be moderated somewhat by normal socializing
and a little rebelling. My worries have increased since he broke another
kids arm. Mom is a black belt who think martial arts if for kick someones
ass -- very contrary to martial arts philosophy. He's a good kid and
maturing inspite of his mother.

And my brother is home schooling his kids. He wants his kids to be
wary/suspicious of government, and his wife wants them to learn her brand of
"Christianity" and morals, and nothing else.

These are the instances I know most fully, but I also know successful
example, though from a greater distance.

Tina

Old July 21st 03, 11:36 PM
Regina

Karlee,

I would be happy to answer any questions you have and I don't believe they
will be "silly".

We are going into our 5th year of homeschooling. My kids are 17, 15 and 13
and very well adjusted, intelligent and able to experience real life, pursue
their interests without being in an institution all day. I encounter people
who ask the same thing over and over "what about the social aspect?" "do you
have a teaching degree?". Even though it is annoying, I realize they have no
clue what homeschooling is all about. Our homeschooling has enabled us to
become very close as a family, be active in our Christian faith and my kids
are able to follow their hearts and learn about things they are really
interested in. I know I didn't learn much in high school but when I had the
freedom to go after what interested me I learned a ton and remember most of
it.

Goos luck and ask away.

Regina

Old July 21st 03, 11:43 PM
Regina

It's very common for homeschoolers to spend much less time hitting the books
because there are so many less distractions. The child doesn't have to wait
for the rest of the class to catch up and there is much less wasted time
because of a number of things; changing rooms, lunch breaks, discipline
problems the teacher has to address, etc.

Boys especially have a harder time at school because they just aren't meant
to sit behind a desk all day. How often do you see boys playing school
during free time? I worked at a private school for several years as a
teacher's aide and couldn't believe how many boys were labeled ADD and were
sedated to keep them calm. I very strongly believe most don't need the
drugs, they need to be climbing trees.

Just my two cents.

Regina

Old July 22nd 03, 12:34 AM
Jalynne

I've homeschooled DD for two years. We joined a homeschooling coop and she gets way
more socialization than I ever did at that age. DD is nearly a grade and a half
ahead of her peers, gets along famously with everyone - kids and adults. She
studies two hours three times a week, plus full day field trips once a week. Some
kids do well this way. Mine happens to be one of them, and I don't regret a single
minute of it. We don't have a super structured schedule, but instead use teachable
moments as they come. If we hadn't joined the homeschooling coop, we wouldn't have
access to science equipment or other curriculum which we can't afford. For sports,
there are always community teams, and since we're military, we have all those things
at our disposal as well. The resources are there, you just have to look for them. I
don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but the socialization argument against
homeschooling just doesn't fly with me, because I've successfully worked that out,
and so can anyone else who truely wants to homeschool. If anyone wants to discuss it
with me off group, they're more than welcome. I love to talk about education.

--
Jalynne
or look at my layouts at

Old July 22nd 03, 01:44 AM
Linda D.

I'm interested to know how old your daughter is? And are you
at all concerned about the inability to teach her at the higher grade
levels? I can sort of understand homeschooling for the elementary
years, but the secondary school years could prove quite difficult.

take care, Linda

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 23:34:24 GMT, "Jalynne"
wrote:

[...]

Vancouver Island, bc.ca (remove 'nospam' to reply)
See samples of my work at: www.members.shaw.ca/deugau

Old July 22nd 03, 02:50 AM
Diana Curtis

The whole issue about homeschooling is doing some serious thinking about why
you want to homeschool...and are you willing and able to provide your child
with a solid schooling experience . Will they thrive in homeschool? Will you
be able to balance the homeschooling with activitys that provide experiences
in dealing with other people?
I want to homeschool Meg. I dont like public schools for so many reasons.
However, since I have social phobia and even taking her to the playground by
myself is a trial I think its in her best interests to go to a more
traditional school. She is a very social creature! I may rethink that later,
nothing is written in stone.
The socialization argument is bogus... we send our kids to school to be
educated... at least in theory! :-)
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

rthlink.net...

http://www.azurewave.com/photopost/s...cat=500&thumb=
1

Old July 22nd 03, 04:03 AM
Christina Peterson

Regina,

I do not at all doubt your experiences and observations. But I also do not
doubt the experiences and observations of myself and others. As far as
school taking less time in one to one teaching, my own experience as a
student was that I learn from students as well as the teacher, rather than
that others distracted from my learning process. Also, I am one of those
people who ask, What of the social aspect?, and having home schooled I DO
have a clue what it's all about.

Tina

Old July 22nd 03, 04:07 AM
Sjpolyclay

The socialization argument is bogus... we send our kids to school to be
educated... at least in theory! :-)

Its a lovely theory. Ever watch "Jay Walking" on the Leno show and see regular
people having real difficulty naming three presidents living or dead?