OT -- fitness

Old June 8th 04, 10:44 PM
the black rose

Default OT -- fitness

Anybody know any active fitness newsgroups? I tried searching, but the
ones I looked had like, no activity or next to no activity.

It's kind of depressing -- there HAVE to be people out there who want to
talk about fitness, nutrition, exercise and all that. There HAS to be.
Doesn't there?

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old June 8th 04, 10:54 PM
Terbear

Since I use Nutrisystem, I use their board, which everyone is always talking
about fitness & nutrition. I post to the daily exercise thread.
Good luck
Teri

--
Teri
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts?&page=1

Old June 8th 04, 10:56 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"the black rose" wrote in message
Anybody know any active fitness newsgroups? I tried searching, but the
ones I looked had like, no activity or next to no activity.

It's kind of depressing -- there HAVE to be people out there who want to
talk about fitness, nutrition, exercise and all that. There HAS to be.
Doesn't there?

Alas, chocolate is more interesting to talk about, apparently.

So, what 'cha doin' for fitness? I'm in the middle of a 6 week walking
class. Sounds boring, but it's great stuff! We do a 45 minute walk (with
some *grueling* intervals!), followed by an hour lecture on some aspect of
overall fitness. The instructors are really fun, and are more interested in
getting us to *like* fitness than in preaching about how fit we should be.
My kind of teachers.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old June 8th 04, 11:52 PM

A lot of the people at alt.support.diet.weigh****chers are into fitness as
well. They are very nice, like the people here, and welcome all
denominations -- not just strictly Weight Watchers folks. I don't visit
there often any more but there were a couple of long distance bicycle
people, several lady weight lifters, some Body for Lifers, among others.
Check it out.
--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl

the black rose wrote:

Anybody know any active fitness newsgroups? I tried searching, but the
ones I looked had like, no activity or next to no activity.

It's kind of depressing -- there HAVE to be people out there who want to
talk about fitness, nutrition, exercise and all that. There HAS to be.
Doesn't there?

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old June 9th 04, 12:27 AM
CNYstitcher

www.bodyforlife.com

It is actually for the BFL program, but they can give you lots of advice
and encouragement...I joined when I started the BFL challenge 2004, but
I have since dropped out....I still belong to the newsgroup (they have
some for different regions of the US, obviously, I belong to the NY group)

Larisa

Old June 9th 04, 01:08 AM
the black rose

Kathy Applebaum wrote:
Alas, chocolate is more interesting to talk about, apparently.

I don't think I'll ever be able to give up chocolate. I tried it once,
with rather amusing results. After eight months of chocolate-free-ness,
I started having dreams where everything I ate turned into chocolate.
I'd bite into a piece of chicken and it would turn into M&Ms. A
spoonful of soup would turn into chocolate cake. I'd white-knuckle it
through the day, and dream about eating chocolate all night. It became
so agonizing that I gave up.

These days, I just try to eat small amounts of chocolate when I can't
resist the craving.

So, what 'cha doin' for fitness? I'm in the middle of a 6 week walking
class. Sounds boring, but it's great stuff!

Good luck to you too!

My exercise probably sounds boring too -- I got a recumbent exercise
bike, and I'm doing great with it. It's easy on my back and neck (I
have a repetitive stress injury to my neck), and I watch TV or listen to
language tapes while riding to avoid boredom. And I've been poking
around mayoclinic.com for info on diet and fitness -- there's a lot of
good stuff there, and it's all medically sound information.

While this might seem very mundane to some folks, to me it's like a
revelation. I have a pretty low aerobic capacity -- my doctor says I
represent the bottom of the scale of human norms *sigh* -- and if I try
to keep up with other people, I end up in pain. For decades I've
thought that exercise = pain, and no way around it. So imagine my
surprise when exercising on a recumbent bike got my heart rate into the
target range and kept it there without significant discomfort. Oh sure,
I sweat and I breathe more deeply, but no burning lungs, no stitch in my
side, none of stuff that's discouraged me for decades.

And I'm in the safety of my own home, where I don't need to worry about
the person on the next bike who decided to shower in a cologne that I'm
allergic to, and I don't need to be embarrassed about anybody noticing
that my bike is on the lowest settings. It just matters that my heart
rate is in the target range and I can sustain the exercise long enough
to get a good fat-burning workout. My leg muscles ache a little the
first 5 mins (just a dull ache, not a burn), but then they settle in and
I can peddle the full duration. I never, ever, believed that exercise
could be pleasant. It's *wonderful*. I feel great.

The biggest question in my mind, and this is what I'd try to find out
from a newsgroup or whatever, is how much exercise does it take to
increase your metabolism, in terms of amount of time and amount of
calories used. I remember reading about Tom Hanks when he was filming
the movie _Castaway_ -- first he gained 50 pounds for the role, then
there was a 6 month break in shooting while he slimmed down again. I
vaguely recall him saying that his trainer started him on a workout that
burned some amount of calories per day (I can't recall how many), and by
the time his trainer had worked him up to a 500 calorie per day workout,
his metabolism was really revved up.

While 500 calories per day is more than a bit intense (and probably a
great deal more time than I can spare for exercise), I'm looking for any
info I can find on when your metabolism really starts to improve. Going
to a gym isn't really an option for me -- too many chemical
sensitivites. I tried going to the gym with my husband a few weeks back
(before I bought the exercise bike) and ended up hacking my lungs out,
with the not-so-pleasant side-effect of being high as a kite for a
couple of hours, just from the disinfectants they use on the machines,
and I was in there for less than 2 minutes. So I can't even walk into a
gym long enough to talk to the fitness experts there.

So anyways, that's what I'm up to these days, in addition to quilting
(MY BERNINA CAME HOME TODAY!! YAY!!!) and riding herd on three teenaged
boys.

Old June 9th 04, 01:14 AM
frood

Not if you go by the posts on the chocolate newsgroup - rec.food.chocolate.
Very few posts, mainly by self-important pompous gits.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
news

Old June 9th 04, 01:43 AM
aeromom

"the black rose" wrote in message
Anybody know any active fitness newsgroups? I tried searching, but the
ones I looked had like, no activity or next to no activity.

It's kind of depressing -- there HAVE to be people out there who want to
talk about fitness, nutrition, exercise and all that. There HAS to be.
Doesn't there?

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

I do Jazzercize and water aerobics. I like to exercise but I have little or
no interest in talking about it. I go to misc.fitness.aerobic when I need to
talk with the fitties. Lots of garbage there but some people are legit.
I'd rather post and lurk in the needlework, quilting, sewing, etc. Maybe you
guys and girls are just more interesting.
aeromom

Old June 9th 04, 02:25 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"aeromom" wrote in message

I do Jazzercize and water aerobics.

snip.
I'd rather post and lurk in the needlework, quilting, sewing, etc. Maybe

you
guys and girls are just more interesting.

Maybe we could work out a quilting aerobics routine -- dashing to the
nearest quilt shop, happy dancing, aerobic ironing, and cooling down by
fondling fabric. After all, exercise should be fun.

Old June 9th 04, 02:25 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"the black rose" wrote in message
The biggest question in my mind, and this is what I'd try to find out
from a newsgroup or whatever, is how much exercise does it take to
increase your metabolism, in terms of amount of time and amount of
calories used.

We're covering that topic this Wednesday in my class, so I'll know more
then, but from what I understand, the answer is different for everyone. It's
more a function of minutes spent at a certain percentage of your max heart
rate or VO2max. The first week they were recommending at least 20-30 minutes
a day, 4-5 days a week, at 55-70% of your max heart rate to do some serious
body changes. (3 days a week for maintenance). The person who is in that
zone when they are running is burning more calories than the person who is
strolling along, but they are both improving their fitness. As the stroller
gets more fit, they need to pick up the pace to keep in the same heart rate
zone.