DMC color card help

Old September 11th 04, 10:07 PM
Becky Andresen

Default DMC color card help

Can somebody please tell me what the newest version of the DMC color card
is? How many colors does it have and when did it come out?

I checked DMC-USA.com today, but the information that was with the color
card didn't seem right. I'm pretty sure that there are 454 solid colors
now...but I'm _very_ sure that there are more then 11 or 18 variegated
colors. I think there's closer to 37 or so.

I want to be sure I get the very newest color card, but there are so many
floating around. I really wish that DMC would design a cover for each
edition that made it much easier to tell which it was just by looking.

So frusterating!
Becky A.

Old September 12th 04, 01:21 AM
Darla

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:07:50 +0200, "Becky Andresen"
wrote:

Can somebody please tell me what the newest version of the DMC color card
is? How many colors does it have and when did it come out?

I checked DMC-USA.com today, but the information that was with the color
card didn't seem right. I'm pretty sure that there are 454 solid colors
now...but I'm _very_ sure that there are more

thAn
11 or 18 variegated
colors. I think there's closer to 37 or so.

I want to be sure I get the very newest color card, but there are so many
floating around. I really wish that DMC would design a cover for each
edition that made it much easier to tell which it was just by looking.

Becky, I just got the latest one last week at the local Michaels (40%
coupon, and nothing else looked interesting), and the copyright date
is 2002. This one is like the Anchor color card, with the colors in
wound bands, rather than tacked-down on one end fringe-like things, as
they've been on earlier edition color cards. There are 19 columns of
varying lengths for the color families; two columns of variegateds; a
short column of the metallics; and the last column is samples in ecru
(gold for the metallics) of the various products (stranded
cottons/floss, ball perles, skein perles, and the metallic floss and
perle). The reverse of that page contains the numerical listing with
the cross-references for the families, and the French and English
languages product descriptions. Other languages on the rest of the
card are German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Danish, Swedish,
Cestina (Czech? there are v-carats over the C and the s), Magyar
(Hungarian, for those who don't know and for those who keep forgetting
what they've seen that word in reference to), Polish, Russian,
Byelorussian (and yes, Dr Brat, I can read enough of the Cyrillic
characters to recognize the difference in "Byelorussia" and "Ukraine"!
;- ), Arabic, Chinese and Japanese (not sure which of these is which,
but I think the first is Japanese and the second Chinese), and Korean.

The cover of this one doesn't even come close to matching the covers
of preceding editions. Neither does the layout look the same. Of
course, older European versions may not resemble older US versions.

Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old September 12th 04, 07:37 PM
Becky Andresen

Well, the trouble is that I have to order online, so I can't hold it in my
hands and open it up and look. I really wish I could...but since I don't
have a LNS, I have to buy online.

Here are the versions that I've found, so perhaps you could tell me which
one is the right one.

http://www.herrschners.com/products/...sku=700199&tab
or
http://www.stitcherscloset.com/store...egory_Code=DMC

Neither one mentions anything about metallics, nor what the publication date
is. All I have to go on is the number of colors included, and I'm not even
really sure what the most recent tally is (including the solids, variegated,
and metallics). Help?

I've seen both versions of the covers on older editions, so I can't tell the
difference.

And did I miss something with the variegated floss? I swear there's 36 or
37 different ones...but all I'm seeing references to is 18. Did some of
them retire (absurd, I know)? I can't figure out what's going on.

I've been away from the craft store for a few months and I feel so lost!
Becky A.

"Darla" skrev i melding

Old September 12th 04, 10:41 PM
Karen E.

Becky Andresen wrote:
[...]

The DMC website http://www.dmc-usa.co lists the color card as having
"all 454 solid and 18 vaiegated DMC Embroidery Floss Colors as well as
our 11 Metallic Floss Colors..."

Karen E.

--
"Politics is not the art of the possible. It consists of choosing
between the disastrous and the unpalatable." John Kenneth Galbraith

Old September 13th 04, 12:43 AM
Becky Andresen

"Karen E." skrev i melding
Becky Andresen wrote:
[...]

As I said when I first posted this thread, I'd been to the DMC website...but
I find their information suspect. The tallies don't add up, and a few of
their 'shopping lists' had missing numbers. So, I'm not really sure about
anything anymore.

There are so many editions of the color card knocking about the 'net these
days, I can't be sure which one to get. And since the places that I've seen
them for sale don't generally list the publish date, the only way to tell is
by the floss count. And I keep seeing very different numbers every time I
look.

And what the hell happened to all those different variegated flosses? I
loved using them all, and now I only see 18 listed! Gah!!!

It's 2:45am and I'm grumpy!
Becky A.

Old September 13th 04, 05:12 AM
Karen E.

Becky Andresen wrote:
"Karen E." skrev i melding

The DMC website http://www.dmc-usa.co lists the color card as having
"all 454 solid and 18 vaiegated DMC Embroidery Floss Colors as well as
our 11 Metallic Floss Colors..."

As I said when I first posted this thread, I'd been to the DMC website...but
I find their information suspect. The tallies don't add up, and a few of
their 'shopping lists' had missing numbers. So, I'm not really sure about
anything anymore.

Sorry. I missed that.

There are so many editions of the color card knocking about the 'net these
days, I can't be sure which one to get. And since the places that I've seen
them for sale don't generally list the publish date, the only way to tell is
by the floss count. And I keep seeing very different numbers every time I
look.

I also have the card with the 2002 copyright date. There are 35
variegateds on the card, 11 metallic floss colors, and metallics 5282
and 5283. The floss color numbers do include the newer solid colors with
numbers in the 100 range and also range as high as 3866 for the cotton
floss.

And what the hell happened to all those different variegated flosses? I
loved using them all, and now I only see 18 listed! Gah!!!

I'm certain that they retired a sizable group of variegated colors some
time back but I have nothing solid to back that up. With all the
overdyed six strand floss available these days they probably figured it
was best to cut bait.

It's 2:45am and I'm grumpy!

Hey, everybody's entitled to a full-on grump sometimes. Indulge! :-)

Karen E.

Old September 13th 04, 05:33 AM
Darla

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:37:15 +0200, "Becky Andresen"
wrote:

Here are the versions that I've found, so perhaps you could tell me which
one is the right one.

http://www.herrschners.com/products/...sku=700199&tab
or
http://www.stitcherscloset.com/store...egory_Code=DMC

Without skipping ahead to read other responses: avoid the
Herschnerr's one; it's an oldie. Go fo the StitchersCloset one; it
looks like the one I just described to you.
Old September 13th 04, 02:07 PM
Becky Andresen

I've got one more _incredibly_ stupid question.

What are DMC skein prices nowadays?? I've seen a bunch of places online
listing a skein around .50¢ and I think that can't possibly be right! I
haven't bought floss for a few months, and I've been out of the US for about
two months...and the last time i looked, it was hovering at about .27¢ or
thereabouts.

Did I miss something? Granted, I've been pretty much living in an
information vacuum for quite a few months now. I didn't leave the apartment
except to go to classes or work or grocery shopping...and then straight on
into pulling a wedding together in a month and a half...and then got bundled
onto a plane heading for Norway. So I'll be the first to admit I've
essentially been living in a cave and I'm just now emerging to see the sun.

So I'm sort of tentatively emerging, trying to catch up on what I've missed
out on...and there are some things I've seen that make me feel really lost.
Like seeing the price of DMC floss practically double (which I'm not
convinced is true), or feeling so bewildered by what should be the simple
task of picking up a floss color card.

So forgive me if I've been sounding like a gibbering idiot. Somebody forgot
to roll the boulder to block the front of my cave and I've managed to escape
and am now wandering the streets, trying to catch up.

I ate a cheeseburger the other day, and it was like waking up again...
Becky A.

"Becky Andresen" skrev i melding

Old September 13th 04, 04:50 PM
Joan Erickson

Becky Andresen wrote:

I've got one more _incredibly_ stupid question.

What are DMC skein prices nowadays?? I've seen a bunch of places online
listing a skein around .50¢ and I think that can't possibly be right! I
haven't bought floss for a few months, and I've been out of the US for about
two months...and the last time i looked, it was hovering at about .27¢ or
thereabouts.

It's usually .29 at Walmart and Michaels. If you need some, I'd be
willing to get it for you and send it to you. Just let me know.

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old September 13th 04, 05:16 PM
Gillian Murray

I believe I saw it for 26 or 27 cents at Walmart, and Michaels has a 4 for
$1 sale this week. I would be happy to pick some up, and send them to you,
if you wish. It would be fun buying it for someway in Norway!!

Gillian
Florida