sewing machine totes?

Old January 6th 12, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
betsey

Default sewing machine totes?

do you use them? worth the cost? any brand preference? i'm starting
to sew more (after a looooooooooong absence) and taking some classes---
and trying to decide if i want one, if i will use it, if it is just
something else to take up space.

can anyone help? I'm also going to post this on alt. sewing as
well...

betsey
Old January 6th 12, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Nana.Wilson

Dh got a wheeled tote & I stoled it 'cause me machine fit in very nicely!!
Took it to Florida last year.

Nana

Old January 6th 12, 06:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

On 1/5/2012 4:56 PM, betsey wrote:
do you use them? worth the cost? any brand preference? i'm starting
to sew more (after a looooooooooong absence) and taking some classes---
and trying to decide if i want one, if i will use it, if it is just
something else to take up space.

can anyone help? I'm also going to post this on alt. sewing as
well...

betsey

I would suggest that you look carefully at the "sewing machine totes"
without buying, then go to an outlet store that has lots and lots of
luggage for sale, and look for a case the correct size with wheels.
I've seen the totes advertised at high prices, higher than I paid for a
whole set of luggage at the Penney's Outlet. For as much as you will
use the tote, it makes little sense to spend a lot on it. Though some,
I'm sure, will disagree, but I think it's worth doing a little research.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old January 6th 12, 08:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Pat S

I agree with people's concern at the cost.
When I found that I really couldn't take my Janome 6500 to workshops, I
wondered about a wheeled carry-bag, but decided to get a smaller machine
specially for classes etc. I would also have a back-up sewing machine.
The second machine was less expensive than the specifically designed
machine carrier! It was much lighter and I could get it into the car
easily.
..
In message
,
betsey writes
do you use them? worth the cost? any brand preference? i'm starting
to sew more (after a looooooooooong absence) and taking some classes---
and trying to decide if i want one, if i will use it, if it is just
something else to take up space.

can anyone help? I'm also going to post this on alt. sewing as
well...

betsey

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old January 6th 12, 12:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
betsey

On Jan 6, 3:07*am, Pat S wrote:
I agree with people's concern at the cost.
When I found that I really couldn't take my Janome 6500 to workshops, I
wondered about a wheeled carry-bag, but decided to get a smaller machine
specially for classes etc. *I would also have a back-up sewing machine.
The second machine was less expensive than the specifically designed
machine carrier! *It was much lighter and I could get it into the car
easily.
.
In message
,
betsey writes

do you use them? *worth the cost? *any brand preference? *i'm starting
to sew more (after a looooooooooong absence) and taking some classes---
and trying to decide if i want one, if i will use it, if it is just
something else to take up space.

can anyone help? *I'm also going to post this on alt. sewing as
well...

betsey

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

thanks Nana, Joanne and Pat--i am going to go "looking". my smaller
machine is a singer featherweight...which is great for just pieceing
classes, but things that require more...i take my viking 350.

I'll be going to not just classes, but have also promised my mom i
would come up and help make their new curtains. her machine is a
singer from the 60's--nice machine, but in a sewing desk, and my
viking we can just put on the dining room table. and my sister just
asked me to do her curtains....so, in thinking about this, my machine
WILL be travelling G.

Pat-out of curiosity--what is your "second" machine?

Betsey
Old January 6th 12, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Mary

I have one that I got on a super-closeout price at TSWLTH a few years
ago, and it works very well. I would NEVER have paid full price,
though.

When I have to take a SM with me, I take my Featherweight, and it
really doesn't need a separate case. However, I put the Featherweight
in its special case with its attachments in the wheeled tote, and can
wheel it without risk of dropping it. Also, the wheeled tote has
plenty of extra room for extension cord and my pack of tools --
scissors, threads, box of pins, etc. -- and for another container with
the current project. I find it very handy.
Old January 6th 12, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Pat S

I just went to check!
It is a Janome 415.
It is slightly different from my big one - and rather a lot noisier; but
it works fine and it is good to have. There are a few 'fancy' stitches,
not as many as the big one, but enough when need arises. I had gone to
the machine shop with the intention of getting a Janome Jem (one or
other), but when the man asked me what I would be doing with it, he
suggested a smaller, but full size (rather than a 3/4). I can lift it
over my fairly high car door sill with one hand.
..

Old January 6th 12, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Tia Mary

On 1/5/2012 5:56 PM, betsey wrote:
do you use them? worth the cost? any brand preference? i'm starting
to sew more (after a looooooooooong absence) and taking some classes---
and trying to decide if i want one, if i will use it, if it is just
something else to take up space.

can anyone help? I'm also going to post this on alt. sewing as
well...

betsey

I have one of the wheeled sm totes sold at TSWLTH. I got the
***first one*** online early last summer with a 40% off coupon -- no way
would I pay the full price, too $$$. It was defective and I sent it
back for a refund NOT exchange. When I ordered another one, I got one
that was a discontinued fabric so got it for about 60% off!! I LOVE
mine because I can't schlepp a sm around any longer. I really like that
it has pockets for other stuff and the whole thing is nicely padded and
has wide velcro straps used to hold the machine in place. I tried using
a piece of luggage but had to set the sm on it's end to get it into my
wheeled suitcase. I had thought about getting a special piece of
luggage -- something like a sales mans sample case but couldn't find
anything the right size that was reasonably priced.
IF you can find a wheeled case that is the right size and reasonably
priced, then go for it. Otherwise, wait for a coupon and get the one
sold at TSWLTH. Honestly, it's the wheels and the additional storage
space that make a sm tote necessary, IMNSHO. Keep us posted on what you
end up doing, OK? CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary /\__/\
Old January 6th 12, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Cindy from GA but wants to be in MO

On Jan 5, 7:56*pm, betsey wrote:
do you use them? *worth the cost? *any brand preference? *i'm starting
to sew more (after a looooooooooong absence) and taking some classes---
and trying to decide if i want one, if i will use it, if it is just
something else to take up space.

can anyone help? *I'm also going to post this on alt. sewing as
well...

betsey

Could not live without mine. Got mine at the local Hancock's in MO
and I love it. Now this is when I was still living in MO and doing
quite a bit of sewing for a couple of our local high schools. Have
had mine for about 5 years now and wouldn't never, ever be without
one. Can pile more stuff on top as I'm wheeling it along. Plenty of
extra pockets for storage.

Think mine was $90 and got it for $40.

Cindy
Old January 6th 12, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

betsey wrote:
do you use them? worth the cost? any brand preference?
i'm starting to sew more (after a looooooooooong absence)
and taking some classes--- and trying to decide if i want
one, if i will use it, if it is just something else to
take up space.

can anyone help? I'm also going to post this on alt.
sewing as well...

I have a wheeled tote, I got mine "free" with the purchase
of a $300 chest of embroidery thread. It looks a lot like:
http://www.sewingmachineoutlet.com/tb20olivia.htm
I have used it several time to lug my machines in for
service and it is very good for that. Sturdy, Velcro straps
to hold it securely, lots of room for cords, hoops,
accessories, etc. Mine has a handle that locks in three
positions, I find that very handy.

I think if you plan to take your machine to classes on a
regular basis it would be a valuable addition.

NAYY,

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 06:39 PM
Is ths a good deal? Grace Quilting Sewing Frame +Janome 1600 Sewing Machine bobbi Quilting 12 December 8th 06 09:18 PM
Walker totes frood Quilting 8 May 21st 05 05:41 AM
punches, punch totes, and supply totes... ElsScraps Rubberstamps 0 November 23rd 03 05:08 PM
punches, punch totes, and supply totes... ElsScraps General Crafting 0 November 23rd 03 05:07 PM