Dura-Craft vers Real Good Toys

Old December 11th 03, 06:05 PM
Philip

Default Dura-Craft vers Real Good Toys

I am looking for a doll house kit to build with my 9 year old. I would
like something that she could take a active role building (i.e. I want
her to be able to do some of the building and not just watch). I am
looking at Dura-Craft and Real Good Toys. Is one better than the
other? Any others to consider? Any models you recommend for a
beginner? Thanks for the help. I need it.

Philip
Old December 12th 03, 06:15 PM
Philip

Thanks. My 9 year old will probably be the one painting and decorating
the doll house which is why I am considering the Dura-Craft. If she
gets into it, I will look at one of the high end Real Good Toys
models. Is the Dura-craft that poorly built or is it a matter of the
level of detail? Thanks again for the reply.

Philip
Gerald Miller wrote in message . ..
On 11 Dec 2003 10:05:23 -0800, (Philip) wrote:

I am looking for a doll house kit to build with my 9 year old. I would
like something that she could take a active role building (i.e. I want
her to be able to do some of the building and not just watch). I am
looking at Dura-Craft and Real Good Toys. Is one better than the
other? Any others to consider? Any models you recommend for a
beginner? Thanks for the help. I need it.

Philip

Compare a Rolls Royce to a Yugo and you will have it! (The RGT being
represented by RR, of course)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Old December 12th 03, 10:37 PM
havana bill & holly

I have only made up Dura-Craft (when they were all wood) because of budget
constraints. They are what are referred to as "tab and slot" kits and are
eminently bashable. My favorite site for a "bashed" Dura-Craft San
Franciscan is http://fp3.antelecom.net/frog/sanfran-house , she also has a
tutorial to make a Murphy bed in one of the $2 hutches from Michael's.

Old December 13th 03, 02:32 AM
Carol

(Philip) wrote:

I am looking for a doll house kit to build with my 9 year old. I would
like something that she could take a active role building (i.e. I want
her to be able to do some of the building and not just watch). I am
looking at Dura-Craft and Real Good Toys. Is one better than the
other? Any others to consider? Any models you recommend for a
beginner? Thanks for the help. I need it.

Dura-Craft requires a lot of finishing - tedious finishing. Sanding and
sanding, and sanding. There are people who do a wonderful job with these
houses however they have a lot of patience and time and don't mind the
tedium. A child wants to see progress very quickly and you will have that
with an RGT kit. If you want your child to enjoy putting the house together
I would go with an RGT.
You could start with a 2 room house, downstairs, upstairs and make a cottage
just see if there's an interest.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old December 13th 03, 06:05 AM
Herb

Philip wrote:

Thanks. My 9 year old will probably be the one painting and decorating
the doll house which is why I am considering the Dura-Craft. If she
gets into it, I will look at one of the high end Real Good Toys
models. Is the Dura-craft that poorly built or is it a matter of the
level of detail? Thanks again for the reply.

Do you really want your 9-year old to end up angry and frustrated?

You could both look forwared to working with splintery wood, trying to
hide the Dura-Craft's tabs and slots, not being able to get a decent
paintjob without 10 coats (or giving up and spending more than the house
cost for external siding), and then, no matter how hard you've worked,
still ending up with something that looked like it was built from a kit!

- Herb